Reviews for Family Secrets
klester1987 chapter 6 . 12/30/2010
It was good, I actually like it better then the genetically engineered version with Julian's parents on TV.
Riker15 chapter 6 . 2/22/2007
Awesome
macberly chapter 6 . 8/1/2006
OMG! This story was so heart breaking and painful! I feel so bad for Julian, to grow up with such hatred and fear and to be treated so horribly by his father!

I really enjoyed this story and I am glad that his friends were there for him!

You have made me fall in love with DS9 again! So much so that I may have to go to that section and find more stories!

Thank you!
Charley chapter 6 . 6/7/2006
I wanted to let you know that I have enjoyed reading your stories. I know you wrote this a lont time ago, but I still felt the need to respond to your comment that people have written and stated that you are way over the top when it comes to the emotional abuse. I, like you have personal experience with all forms of abuse, and I have to say that the hardest for me to deal with, is the emotional abuse. I think you did an excellent job of portraying what unfortunately happens far to often. I didn't think you were over the top and all..and really that is a sad thought. That as ubelievable as it is...some parents are cabable of treating their children this way. I think by showing this in your stories...perhaps you may have opened some people eyes to the effects words can have on a person.
Jedi Buttercup chapter 6 . 4/23/2005
I linked through to your profile from one of your Numb3rs stories - which was very well done, by the way - and was immediately drawn to your DS9 stories; Bashir was my favorite character, and I've been a Trekker (due to parental influence) pretty much since I was born.

As far as the subject goes - right on the money. I was in an emotionally abusive relationship with a man for awhile, and though of short duration compared to a parental relationship, it was quite similar, even down to the abuser being verbally denigrating to me in public. It's very hard to break out of that kind of downward spiral once it gets going, and there's no convincing the abuser they're wrong; painful all 'round.

As far as Trekverse facts go, however - big problem. I know DS9 referred to Bashir's dad as having been an ambassador as far back as Season 2, and his name was Richard Bashir; you have those facts right. However, in Season 5 he and his wife DID visit the station, and a lot more was revealed about their family. Apparently Richard's stint as an ambassador was quite temporary; he was in landscape architecture by the time he visited DS9. Also, we discovered in that episode, entitled "Dr. Bashir, I Presume?" that Julian's childhood was problematic for quite another reason: he was born more or less ugly and retarded, and his parents, embarassed about his deficits, had him genetically enhanced when he was about 7. When he was about 16, they told him what they'd done to him. He's been running from them, and endeavoring to hide his secret, ever since - which is likely the real reason he was second and not first in his class: he was very careful not to excel too much in anything, once he knew the truth, lest someone figure it out. Including darts. He got much better at them on the show after his big secret was revealed.

I did see that you mentioned "beware my liberties" in your author's note, so maybe you're aware of this. However, since you did not mention specifically that this is AU, or that it contradicts the events of "Dr. Bashir, I Presume?", it comes off much more like you simply haven't seen all the episodes, or didn't care enough to do thorough research. This may in turn make readers less likely to believe your research is thorough in *other* areas, such as the emotional abuse, even though it is. So, you may want to make specific mention in your author's note of just what liberties you're taking.

*ahem* Anyway, to end this review on a positive note - aside from the factual errors noted above (which could be excused if mentioned in a disclaimer) this was an excellent story. Well written, and good treatment of difficult material.
Solveig chapter 6 . 1/10/2005
I just wanted to say thank you for writing a "happy" story about child abuse - and for focusing on psycological abuse as I think it is in some ways the very worst type. It stays with you, embedded in your self-image even when the abuser is nowhere near you. However I think not that what you have written here is improbable in any way, but letting Julian's father be rude to others, and abuse him so publically does detract somewhat from the strength of the abuse. I found that one of the worst things about this type of abuse, is that it is usually rather well hidden, and often masked by a very charming personality projected to people outside of the abuser's sphere of victims. Somehow having other people witness the abuse, makes it easier to see it for what it is - wrong and untrue. If the abuser is pleasant to most others it is so much harder to be sure that you are not the one at fault, which I think is one of the most horrible things about child abuse. Leaving the children with the blame. I hope these thoughts may be helpful for you, either in your writing or in your personal life.
Jumana chapter 6 . 10/27/2004
I really liked that story, It left me feeling sad, because sadly that does happen in real life and like you said people over look emotional and mental abuse because it's not as well reported as much is it? But that kind of abuse can be the most damaging and can last a lifetime.. Very well written. 10/10 pinkfuzzyone.
Dax chapter 6 . 6/8/2004
this was a great story, you should write a sequal where Julians father comes back. That would be a great story. And I dont cry easly but your story had me crying for a part there.

Let me know if you write a sequal

Dax
Goti-chan chapter 6 . 6/7/2004
Beautiful, sad. I wish you the best. I hope you write more.
jai parker chapter 6 . 5/25/2004
I really enjoyed this story, but I'm biased since I'm a big Dr. Bashir fan.
DocTrac1981 chapter 6 . 5/22/2004
Excellent story. I don't know much about DS9, but I would love to see this relationship explored further. I would also be interested in seeing how Richard Bashir treated his wife. It was an absolutely fascinating story that gives some understanding to abuse, like A Beautiful Mind gives some understanding to schizophrenia and Rise Up and Walk gives understaing to polio. I also think that in some small way, everyone can relate. Thank you for sharing!
White Stranger chapter 6 . 4/20/2004
THat was good. You're a great writer. Is there a chance of a sequel? Please.
cryogenie chapter 6 . 4/20/2004
Wow... this was really well written. Everything was well characterized... I am sorry that you had to go through anything like that, but it's good that you can write about it now. And don't worry that it's not believable. My grandmother was and is now the same way with my mother, and I got to see some of that for myself. Psychological abuse is the worst kind of abuse. Thanks for writing... there aren't enough good Bashir stories out there, but thanks to you there's one more now... keep it up!
Karola chapter 6 . 4/20/2004
This story was very good. Abuse is never easy and it doesn't matter what form of abuse is used. I'm very happy that my parents love me no matter what I do and that I never had to make these experiences. And I hope that everybody who isn't that lucky gets help.
Guest chapter 6 . 4/19/2004
I didn't think it was unrealistic. I actually think some of it seemed quite mild. Although, in my experience, abusers tend to try to hide their actions from those around them. Rather play the role of the perfect parent then let others know anything else. It is in private that the problems begin. I hope your situation was better than the story implied.
As for the story, it was an interesting look into Julian's life and considering his personality it actually fits pretty well. Good work!