Reviews for Nowhere Else
tragicallyepic chapter 1 . 11/17/2005
aw. i loved it. he came back!
jcd1013 chapter 1 . 5/10/2004
I'm finally getting to my reviews, aren't you excited?

I knew you were talented... The way you can take pictures and make art just astonishes me. And now, to see how you can take words and make pictures and portraits is just jealousy inducing.

This was truly a delight to read. I think you really captured the characters well. Jess and his feeling of almost being scared that he is content, that he can stay put and not go anywhere. I especially like the observation that he can't understand the townspeople and how they can just live their mundane lives... and then he realizing that's what he has and he's happy about it. It rang true. And I really liked how you hinted at how they could have gotten back together...these reunions that could happen to lead them to here.

I loved how you refered to the scent of lavender... I could smell it too, drew me into the story.

Favorite line:
"He passes by the high school without even looking at it because it continues to be the constant reminder of a failure he’d like to forget, and wonders briefly if Luke has finally forgiven him." I've been working on some Luke and Jess drabbles and this has been one of those themes running through my head, about how Jess is so afriad of failure that that's all that he see about him.

Write more, you have so many beautiful words that are just dying to come out.

Julia
columbiachica chapter 1 . 4/22/2004
Just lovely. We've been reading a ton of short stories in Lit class lately, and this really reminds me of something we read - not the plot or the characters, but your style and rhetorical devices. It reads like a professionally-written piece.
absurdvampmuse chapter 1 . 4/20/2004
Hey!
This was a very sweet one parter, I really liked it.
Bye, smile :-)
enigmatic darling chapter 1 . 4/19/2004
Mai, you really should write more. I loved this. The writing was gorgeous. "He knows now that he had to go away to learn, and back again to find everything that he’s been waiting for (unconsciously) his entire life. He knows now that there was not a single place in the entire world that could possibly shield him from her forever.
Maybe he’s always known.
He knows that he couldn’t have this anywhere else.
(Nowhere else but here.)" Wow. Just... amazing.
Wonderlandleighleigh chapter 1 . 4/19/2004
Aww, wow! What a great, sweet fic. He's very calm, and I always liked calm!Jess fics for some reason. He seems a lot more intelligent that way. And I love it that Rory let him have it right in the face. *smiles* Don't suppose you'd consider writing that scene? Cause that'd be lots of fun to read. Anyways, I'm rambling now, so I'm gonna stop. But great fic!
WatchfulEyes chapter 1 . 4/19/2004
Pretty good. I like the beginning of this chapter - good wording. All in all, good.
megan chapter 1 . 4/19/2004
i like it. i like the (nowhere else but here) - it adds sumthin perfect to it - and rory, jess, they're real and well written and true. and stars hollow at night, everything is just right. you can really write an' you should keep writing more stuff.
ps. do you do art stuff too?
ArdentTVFiend chapter 1 . 4/19/2004
*Is very embarrassed*
Mai, I'm sorry! I got home late Friday night and had stuff to do and then I was out all weekend. And then I wasn't even in school today...
I could tell you more excuses that would include "SIX COLLEGE WAIT LISTS! SIX!" and how I only have a "month to rank them because they'll call me up and give me 24 hours to decide!" and "I even went to look at one today and I'm exhausted!", but it won't matter.
Anyway, I'm glad you did post this. Even though I was a horrible person and didn't comment on it first. Because it really is great. And you really should write more.
Arianna555 chapter 1 . 4/19/2004
Oh, wow, Mai...it was beautiful! D
I love all his thoughts...the way he was thinking of Rory in the beginning, and his memories of Stars Hollow as he drove through the town... The way you could see he regretted things, but he still wanted to be there...
The repeating "Nowhere else but here" was great too! He didn't want to stay in the same place all his life, especially not there in that tiny town...but it's where he has everything; where he wants to be...his thoughts are so realistic. And his memories...
A third return...that sounds so perfect. I wish we could see that! ;) And his memories of times with her, in Stars Hollow...
Maybe he’s always known."
That part especially! Just great.
Amazing job!