Reviews for The Wisdom of Isildur
Vicki Turner chapter 1 . 1/1/2014
I had favorited this story a long time ago, and I just reread it because I wanted to purge my favorites list. I'm so glad I reread it! This is a great story. I love this political/friendship/kinship dynamic of this conversation. I love how Elrond at points underestimates Celeborn. I love how you have these two characters who hold competing goals in the beginning clash with each other, but in a way that neither of them folds or becomes antagonistic towards the other. I'm definitely keeping this one favorited.
Elrond's Scribe chapter 1 . 10/8/2013
Excellent as always, miz Marnie! If I ever read the Marvel comics I'm seriously going to be gravely disappointed if your Marvel fics are not on this level.

C'mon, Gil Galad, for real? You really thought Oropher would claim a Ring of Power if you left him alone with it? That is just insulting. Insulting! Sure, you would if the tables were turned, but. . . OROPHER take a Ring? You Noldor, honestly. . .

Ah, well, what's done's done, right?
Freyalyn chapter 1 . 8/22/2013
I love the thought you've put into all the politicking going on behind the scenes. And a very interesting point about Elrond's upbringing rather than his ancestry - and of course, with Elros having the same background, no wonder the Numenorians looked back at Elvis history the same way.
CarsonandMrs.Hughes4ever chapter 1 . 3/10/2013
Great story.
titpuce86 chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
I love how you describe the relations between Noldor and Sindar after the first age. It's so interesting, especially considering you change your point of view from one text to another. Though once again I must say poor Celeborn, who seems to always be torn in two between his people and his wife.
memyselfandi chapter 1 . 4/3/2006
Not bad. Seems like a very likely situation, to be King or not to be King. One thing though about Dol Amroth, it actually wasn't called that until he jumped off the boat that was supposed to take him and Nimrodel to Valinor. There was a storm and the boat blew far off shore before Nimrodel got there, so Amroth in his heart broken stupidity jumped off the boat. Idiot. Unfortunatly I can't remember what it was called before that. Also I could be wrong, don't kill me if I am.
Mariagoner chapter 1 . 11/28/2004
Celeborn really is the Cassandra of the LOTR saga, isn't he? Poor man.
nevermind chapter 1 . 8/24/2004
Late I am, but still got something to say.

It seems a bit strange that the news of Oropher's and Amdir's deaths have not reached Imladris. I have always understood that they died at the very beginning of the siege of Barad-Dur, and this siege lasted seven years, certainly long enough for news to spread and grief to settle.

Celeborn comes off strong and independent. Quite himself indeed. So he carried Vilya during the war? I wonder who carried Narya, if Cirdan could not take it to war with him.

No ruling queens for Elves, therefore no King Elrond. I am willing to second the explanation you give. Dior as simply Eluchil. Makes sense. Although I would argue that Oropher's line must be elder, for he calls himself King and Celeborn does not. Nothing to show as evidence, more is the pity.

For Tindomiel: Eldarion is a Man. There is no way he could be King of any Elves. They would laugh at the notion.

This story blends so effortlessly into Tolkien's world. It is exactly this kind of fanfic that does most justice to him. Thank you.
trilobyte chapter 1 . 5/4/2004
Nice to see someone stressing the fact that Elrond has been abandoned/orphaned several times; that's bound to have a huge effect on the character. As always, you do a great job with Celeborn. I've got some ideas of my own as to how Gil-galad ended up king of both the Noldor and most of the Sindar, but I have a story of my own I'd better finish!
Vy chapter 1 . 5/2/2004
That's it? You shoe, I hate you!
Miss Aranel chapter 1 . 4/27/2004
Ah - I liked this very much! The argument at the beginning was very good - I esp. liked the differences of importance Elrond and Celeborn place on Amdir and Oropher, and the effect realizations of differences have on Elrond.
Celeborn's point that Elrond is far more Noldo in mindset than Sinda was excellent...I love it that you allow that elf to say what he means, and quite eloquently at that.
And the bit with the birds preserved in the bog, and the comparison with the rings...loved that.
Enjoyed several other bits as well (actually, enjoyed most of it!), but should stop babbling now. It was *excellent*. Thank you for sharing it.
Galorin chapter 1 . 4/27/2004
What a fascinating look at elvish politics and also the personalities of Elrond and Celeborn-very different but thrown together through many hardships. I assume that at this point Celeborn is not yet his father-in-law? My favorite image is easily, "The Sinda lowered ring and chain alike into the palm of his hand, and gazed on it for a moment, then he reached over and dumped the precious thing unceremoniously on the table in front of Elrond's plate. "Here." Prime Celeborn! I also liked the image toward the beginning of Elrond and Celeborn arguing in the middle of the hallway as the "bustle of the returning army broke about him like Anduin about Tol Brandir." Very vivid image. Wonderful, as always!
Larian Elensar chapter 1 . 4/25/2004
oh yes! Always knew the guilt Elrond had to feel about Isilduir, but very interesting to see this from Celeborn's POV...
"This time the Sindar will not suffer for Noldor jewels. We have learned our lesson."
I just wanted to say...No Kidding!
Dragon-of-the-north chapter 1 . 4/25/2004
*standing ovations*
Marnie, this is a brilliant gem of a story - you did a wondrous job of showing all important aspects of the two main characters in these most intelligent, thoughtful, subtle conversations and of hinting at so many possible developments while still showing why this special way, leading to the situation we know from LOTR, was chosen.
Celeborn was glorious - it was wonderful to see both his private, emotional site, upset by the death of his kinsmen and the deeds of his people being undervalued and belittled, and his political thinking. And what a great job you do of showing that we are in a time so dependant on *personal* leadership and people rather than on an abstract position - there can be no Sindarin High King because Elu is no more, and matters of personal trust and distrust between the leaders of the elven peoples cause certain developments; Elrond's personality, being Noldorin despite his mixed origins, makes him an unfit leader for both peoples; and finally Elrond's beautifully shown personal wishes, the cravings of his fea indeed, cause him to keep Vilya and thereby make a political decision as well!
Celeborn's comparing Vilya to a bog body, a mummy, had me gasp at first, and then nod - the rings are like this indeed, preserving something, a power that should actually be bound to a living being, bringing an *unnatural* element in the world indeed by preserving something that should not exist on in this form... Dead indeed. I was also in awe of how you show that the Noldor bearers of the rings take a certain line - Círdan, the non-Noldorin bearer of one of the three, will be the only one to give *his* ring over to someone who can really be trusted with it (hmm... but why didn't Círdan unmake *his* ring, either...? I mean, he was up there...)...
" then he reached over and dumped the precious thing unceremoniously on the table in front of Elrond's plate." - I loved that moment most, perhaps - it shows so clearly that Celeborn, less refined than the Noldor perhaps, or refined in a different way (as shown by his appreciation for the carving rather than for the books), is wise in quite another, and in a much better and more natural way, than all those jewel-wielding Noldor! Hmpf, it is a great pity that he is also noble and trustworthy and really guarded Vilya well - he should have put Elrond to bed after his arrival and hurried off to Mount Doom to get rid of the silly ring. ;-) *g* That makes me wonder a bit if exactly that could have happened if Oropher "who can't take orders" would have been the one sitting around in Rivendell guarding the ring while everyone else was at war... Ack, pointless musings! I should not use review space for those! Absolutely WONDERFUL story, Marnie - I enjoyed this very, very much! :-)
A. Meril chapter 1 . 4/23/2004
Fascinating!
*smile* Celeborn: what can I say? Still wonderful! He's so exceptionally logical. It seems that he can out-think and out-talk (basically outsmart) anyone.
This is going to be continued? I hope so!
~Elanial