Reviews for Standing Alone
Sunruner chapter 1 . 10/15/2010
Wow, after almost seven years I can't believe this is still here.

I think that after all the work this story of yours has inspired, it's worthwhile to leave another review here and hope nostalgia of some sort eventually brings you to check back and see it. (I can see that your last posting date was in '07, so I know it's been a long while).

As silly as it might seem now, looking back, what you have here really is a worthwhile accomplishment, and not necessarily in terms of the narrative put down on the page (not that it's bad, but it's not what I'm emphasizing here). When I say inspiring I don't necessarily mean the transformation of a video-game world into a recognizable Earth, but the manipulation of characters and what it has, in all honesty, done for a growing portion of this fandom.

When I read this story almost seven years ago, there were no more than perhaps three or four stories (published by no more than one or two authors) on this site which dealt with, acknowledged, or addressed the possibility of Felix and Karst in a relationship. But as a result of that tidbit you inserted into this story, quite possibly just because it seemed like a good idea at the time, there have since been hundreds, nay, perhaps thousands of pages written and devoted to this suggestion. From a cracked little concept to a recognized pairing complete with fan-certified shipping name (the Duskship), I'd say that even if it's just an internet fad, it's still quite the accomplishment.

As someone who's entire Fanfiction career has been heavily dominated by Golden Sun in general and this shipping specifically, I have only you to really thank for the joy I've experienced working with the possibility which this story of yours originally inspired. I've been told numerous times over the years via E-mail, instant messages, reviews, and chat-sites that my work has inspired other people to take on their own writing projects, but since it all comes back to you I think it's high time I acknowledged that fact directly and said this much: thank you.

Depending on how far life has taken you since you last signed onto this site, I don't mind it if this becomes the most absurd thing you've read all week. The impact of your work on the fan-culture of a cult-classic may not be something you want to add to your resume any time soon, but at least take this as some food-for-thought. This story of yours, some 3000 words long, has set off a cycle of inspiration which has not only endured now for over half a decade, but continues to grow even now and to produce creative works in young authors (literally) from around the world. Regardless of the exact subject matter, I still think that's something to be proud of.

Again, thank you very much.

Sincerely,

-Sunny (L.A.)

p.s. You'll have to forgive the old review I submitted when I first read this story years ago. Knowing me I probably did sit at the computer and sob horribly for a few minutes after finishing, but gimme a break: I was only thirteen at the time.
Fire Dragons chapter 1 . 5/19/2004
Dragon: 0_o Hmm... so um... Is this kinda like a hamaxpicard fic?
Malik: I say yes.
Dragon: Well... that was interesting. Of how Picard got to the real world. And the dead bodies also got to the real world...
Dauthi chapter 1 . 4/30/2004
It was a pretty good angst. The only problem I have with it is the sudden turn into the mocking voices. It was going along smoothly, Picard visiting friends, mourning over them, and then suddenly, they start mocking him? Little weird there. Think you could've found a better way to make him commit suicide. Even just thinking about Hamma would've been better than that, in my opinion.
But nice, drawn-out angst. Yeah. (Felix/Karst though, still have to digest that, lol)
Beans chapter 1 . 4/26/2004
0.o Ooh, 'twas very angsty... Except I don't know what angst means... But anyway, it was a good story... dep. Which is good! :)
Jupiter Sprite chapter 1 . 4/25/2004
Oh, wow... that was great angst... well, or awful angst, depending on how you put it. _ A great story. All of it was so true, too. And it was clever to put it in a modern setting. It makes sense that Weyard would evolve into something like our modern world.
There were quite a few spelling and grammar mistakes. It didn't really hurt the story, since it was such a wonderful and emotional plotline, but that could be something to work on.
I loved it. T_T You've got a great imagination, that's for sure.
Sunruner chapter 1 . 4/25/2004
OMG! I have tears streaming down my face thats so sad! ;_;
Por Piers i feel so sorry for him ;_;
Ark Navy chapter 1 . 4/24/2004
I was about to close out of this...but I skimmed down to the bottom just to see the ending, and something caught my eye. It made me read what I had skipped. Had it not been for that, I would've completely missed one of the better angsts I have seen. It's a very...inspriational story, with a very good plot line. The only thing that brings it down is the persistant spelling errors.