Reviews for For Pity's Sake
InMourningForAthelstan chapter 1 . 2/12/2012
A great story. Very well written.
TheFightingTemeraire chapter 1 . 4/8/2009
Omg, nasty! Well written and imaginative, yes, but ew! Pity's sake indeed.
Acharnae chapter 1 . 3/25/2005
Excellent and frightening and fitting in beautifully with canon.

I admire how seemingly effortless you show the elves kindness, and also their secludedness from the world: a few Dwarves crossing Mirkwood are of more concern to them than some evil creature like Gollum.

The end is gripping and frightening, especially with the vision fading, the fear of being caught alive by the orks, and that terrible, obscene parody of a kiss. Gollum is pathetic, but also horrible.

I love the unpretencious use of elvish: no "mellon-nin", thank gods, but the elvish word for dwarves and that last prayer. (That really grips my heart.)

Some small imperfections: in the second last paragraph, the "His vision began to mist over..." sentence turns up twice. In the beginning of the second paragraph, it says "rotted teeth" when it should be "rotten teeth". And the name "Bainion" - I know elvish names are very difficult to come up with, and this is way above the wide-spread "Lilalulien" OFC names. Still, since "-ion" means "son of", that would mean there's some Elf with the name "Bain". Maybe add a third syllable or so? I admit I can't easily come up with a much better name, either.
Flesca chapter 1 . 7/16/2004
That's so horrible, what Gollum did! Ew, I REALLY hate him now. I love how you ended the story with him "eating" the elf, singing and all... it's so masterfully disgusting and creepy! Now, I'll go take a shower. :) Great story! I feel so sorry for the elves...
Googoo chapter 1 . 5/8/2004
Great writing. I only wish it were more sympathetic to Gollum/Smeagol, he's my favorite charactor.
Sevilodorf chapter 1 . 4/30/2004
Wonderful gap filler. Stays true to the canon characters but expands on the small reference we got to the event in LOTR. The descriptions of Gollum are excellent.