Reviews for The Smell Before Rain
ilovecake chapter 20 . 11/13/2016
holy shit. i thought they were going to get their happily ever after eventually. but no. you managed to break jess heart and mine in 68k words. at this point im sure Romeo and Juliet are better off than Rory and jess. at times I like the way you portrayed Rory. Other times I really did not like her. She is selfish. But every character needs and has flaws. The transitions between the past and the present were written wonderfully. They flowed pretty and easily. I think the only think that bothered me or could be edited was the changing of Rory's and Jess's voice. It confused me a bit as I was reading. Maybe add an ellipses or page break when changing characters (that's if you still look at these reviews). Other than that I don't think there was anything wrong with this fic. Thanks for sharing your work.
-j.l (p.s. I think that's my user name but idk know it's late, again thank you for sharing your work; writing isn't easy)
Esmeralda2134 chapter 20 . 12/7/2015
You write them like Heathcliff and Catherine and that is my biggest compliment.
Maranna Listten chapter 20 . 8/27/2015
I am shocked. I am heartbroken. I am completely enthralled by this story and your writing. It was beautiful and disastrous all at once. One of the best I have ever read.
Vivian H chapter 18 . 5/26/2015
Not loving your Rory but can't stop reading. I hate that she keeps stringing Jess along.
Guest chapter 20 . 4/13/2015
So ten years later and your story still gets people. I cried through most of it. I think you portrayed their messy relationship perfectly. I always thought that after the series she and Jess figured it out, but at the same time they knew how to hurt each other. I also think you portrayed Rory as weak which everyone seems to gloss over. She went back to Logan (or in this case Blake) time and again after he was way worse to her than Jess ever was. Jess was a mess because of his life, Logan (Blake) was just a rich bastard snob. But Rory also didn't know how to be alone. Jess on the other hand I don't think ever got over Rory and I think what she did to him (in the series and this fic) is way worse than anything Jess ever did.
continue it chapter 20 . 10/15/2014
This was a beautifully written story. It was also very heart breaking for people who became invested with the characters. Please write a happy ending. Please.
darkheadlights chapter 20 . 7/17/2013
I think this is the first Rory/Jess story I've read where they DON'T end up together. Made me sad, but it is kind of refreshing too. I really enjoy your writing. Wish you would come back. :(
dramaqueen452 chapter 20 . 2/13/2012
This was fucking awesome, yet depressing at the same time. Nicely done though
krystalMage chapter 20 . 9/16/2011
Dear gods, you burned me inside out.

I love you. I hate you.

I will never forget this story.
882md1 chapter 20 . 7/11/2010
wow. Tragic.

And emotional mind-effing rollercoaster.

Crazy.

But it could really only end this way.

Thanks for writing!
TeBlacks chapter 20 . 10/19/2009
Huh, I read this today and I have to say this was one of the few JR fics I didn't want to end "happily ever after" because that would somehow have ruined the whole story.

I must say it was very nicely written and it made me hope somehow all the way, but not really.

Keep on writing!
hhecsi chapter 20 . 7/18/2009
oh my god...

that was amazing! im crying right now, im not kidding! fantastic job!
Ro2212 chapter 20 . 6/3/2009
Wow. That nearly had me in tears most of the way through! You're an amazing writer! I personally would've liked Rory and Jess to get together, but I still think it was an amazing story. Very emotional and thought provoking. A job excellently done :)
MrsBigTuna chapter 20 . 3/2/2009
Okay... I read this story as well in one sitting. And my God, it was beautiful. I like to think of myself as a romantic and wish for all happy endings, but this was truly breathtaking.

Of course I wanted Rory and Jess to end up together, but you created two tragic people in a disparaging situation. When I read the first chapter, I was pretty sure it wouldn't end with them together. The odds were against them and you managed to keep them in character. Rory, with her undying need to please everyone and Jess with his ability to be blunt and unforgiving. And yet, I couldn't hate Rory or Jess, because they were believable.

I've always felt that Jess was the only one to provoke anything real and tangiable in Rory and you proved that with this story. They can't seem to function properly and the decisions they make as characters are their flaws. I'm not sure if this is making any sense, but regardless, this was masterfully done. I commend you for writing something so orginial and heartbreaking. It inspires me to write something for this couple, since I've only read the fanfiction, never wrote for this couple.

They still remain the only canon I ship for this show and I'm really glad I read this. Again, wonderful job. Bravo!
themadones chapter 1 . 2/8/2009
I do love how this story and you rarely got me to cry, but I read this whole thing and not only do they not end up together but she stays and has babies with that douchebag Blake this is the first time i've been disappointed with a fic