Reviews for The Incessant Ramblings of an Old Man
Sapphire at Dawn chapter 1 . 3/15/2009
I don't know if you'll get this review; the story was written a long time ago, but here goes anyway.

This is a very interesting concept. Really interesting.

I like how you've taken the characters from the legends and turned them into modern people. Very interesting.

However, the language you use doesn't seem like the kind that an old man would use, especially when he's thinking back over events that would have been incredibly traumatic for him.

Other than that, it's a very interesting story.
Delia Ra'Nar chapter 1 . 11/25/2006
heh, i liked it! I love listening to old stories (as odd as that may be)and Al seems realy sweet, like he'd actually be really fun to talk to. And of course AU/elseworlds are always interesting because one gets to peice together what is familiar (yet slightly diferent) and what is new (but oddly familiar.)

anyway, great job!

yours,

Delia Ra'Nar
cirana chapter 1 . 9/8/2006
wow i like this story. it really sounds like how an old man would talk
Melethovorwen chapter 1 . 5/20/2006
yay! Will didn't die! I like Will - the Will in the books, that is. Please do continue; Allan a Dale rocks!
Cathyrulesyouall chapter 1 . 8/18/2004
Well done on this! I really like how original it is, not following the fromat of Robin meets Marian, fights shreiff and lives happily ever after - which is fine, but it gets boring. Anyway, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE carry on.
Enchantressofthestars chapter 1 . 6/8/2004
I think you should continue it, the dialogue was excellent. it gave me the feeling of really talking to an elderly army veteran.
cordelia chapter 1 . 5/30/2004
I really liked it- how you combined the Robin Hood characters and placed them into the ghost of a WWII story... You perfectly captured the idea of an old man reminiscing about his life and his old friends.

It would be perfectly lovely if you could continue, but I understand how the fic could stop right here, as well.

And nice ending. The part about meatloaf made me roll my eyes.

Good job!
bushyhair chapter 1 . 5/30/2004
Wonderful story. You really know how to make an old man seem real. You have great writing talent. You made the story so realistic. Like with the old man and his time in the war. His way of speaking and his thoughts wove perfectly with the time he was in. That must be really hard to write. Maybe you should give different names for the people Allan meet because it gives away the story too quickly. Like Rob Hood, it's obviously linked to Robin Hood. So maybe change the names to something more subtle. But, if that's the way you want it. No this is not a pointless story. It's good to have something different other than the regular Robin Hood stories. (Ahem, like mine). Your stories are original and absorbing. Please write more. Don't leave me just hanging there. The character really connects with the reader. Like the line, " When i was your age i wouldn't have willingly bothered with a man like me." Great line. It shows the differences between age groups and how some kids need to care more about their Grandparents. Don't make Allan seem so pesimistic. Put something that he feels happy about, besides the girl he loves. Wow, i really love this story. Please update soon.
CalmingWater1098 chapter 1 . 5/29/2004
It sucks. O it just sucks. Sorry, but I was always told to tel the truth, so I am. IT/YOU SUCK!
berlinchick90 chapter 1 . 5/16/2004
just a quick question...What does that story have to do with Robin Hood? Besides the fact of the leader named Rob Hood and his wife named Marian. But it is pretty interestion. Keep writing. I want to know where this story will go.
blahblahblah chapter 1 . 5/15/2004
Hurry up and Continue! This is cool prose you're writing in, and a breath of fresh air among all those Maid Marion stories (sorry Maid Marion peoples!) But you cannot possibly give us all those connections, those names, start up a war story, say "Anyway, I was in France and..." And then stop. That is cruel and unusual punishment. Give us some "German buggers", give us a plot, a secret mission, some more innescesent ramblings! Heck, I'd do community service everyday if I could find an old folk who told stories like that!
Llyra Monroe chapter 1 . 5/7/2004
This was very amusing. And the narrative reminded me a little bit of Catcher in the Rye, (But I don't thing you're Holden Caufield, because you nixed the swearing, self-pity, pessimistic attitude, etc...) But, all in all, great story topic. I liked Will Scarlett's new name, what was it? *Scrolls up* "Willum Scarle". This is a new and origional format and take on the Robin Hood tales.
Except you used Allan-A-Dale. *sticks finger in mouth* I like this story, and urge you to pursue this idea, only if you do, you could make it short if the prose makes you uncomfortable. I like it though.
Hoopdi chapter 1 . 5/2/2004
A Robin Hood war story eh? Very original. I'm a sucker for old WWI and WWII war stories and how old war veterans tell them (well, I actually haven't spoken to any war veterans, but I feel such a silent thrill when I look over the old photos of men in their uniforms and looking at old fighter planes countries used in the war; makes me wonder what they faced during the war an all.)

*ahem* I'm veering off track, just like Al in your fic, I know. Hehehe, I loved how you combined the Robin Hood mythos with the world wars; even though medieval england and the mid-twentieth centuries were drastically different you've managed to mix both perfectly.

this can't be a one-shot! Write the second chappie! (heheh, jk-if you want to continue that's great, though.) I also felt goosebumps when Al spoke of his buddies, Rob Hood, John Little, Willum Scarle (yay Will!) and how they went on in years. Makes me wonder what happened to them during an after the war. And the way Al tells his story-you can sense the camraderie between his words. And the Rob/Marian story brought tears to my eyes...so much emotion in a one-shot...continue! (if you want to, that is, hehehe)

[.Black Pixie.]