Reviews for Master Mason
StitchGrl chapter 4 . 9/26/2008

your Erik...

dude i got your text like TODAY. Sorry i've been crazy apartment hunting, but i don't want you to think i was ignoring you! sorry!

yeah, but seriously you're never going to finish these stories huh? they're mighty good.
Senna Wales chapter 4 . 10/18/2006
Ooh. I'd forgotten how good this fic was. I love the interactions between Leger and Erik. They really do remind me of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern from that play by Tom Stoppard. I love how brusque they are to each other, and yet their conversations with each other always make me smile.

I also really like how this phic is so minimal in the information it gives out. It doesn't give an entire background history of each and every character, and yet I feel like I really do understand what I absolutely need to know to get it. The dialogue is short and concise but it gets the message across. And even with the shorter, more concise details, I feel like I can totally see it all happening as if it were a moive. It's like one of those styles that tries to be obscure as possible. I like it. :)

How interesting, this Belgian who keeps coming over to Erik's house.. I've got no theories on my part.

Keep up the updates, it's always nice to read really good phics. :)
ClairPuliea chapter 4 . 10/17/2006
Beautiful. You have amazing talent!
Shostakovich chapter 4 . 10/13/2006
This is ridiculously intriguing. Gah. Finish it already! Finish it today! Now! I want to know what happens!

Excuse me for sounding like a pompous eight-year-old.

Lady A. Saint VII
Nameless chapter 3 . 1/3/2006
Oh, the suspense. And we'll only get a new chapter when Writing on the Wall is done! But it was a great phic also, and I don't want it to end soon, but I want a new chapter in this phic... Hah, I'm so annoying. At leats we know that when WotW is done, we'll still have more Scorpion goodness, whoohoo!

Anyway, to an actual review... You did a great job exploring a part of PotO that most autors ignores: Erik leading a (somewhat) normal life, pre-Christine! That phic went against my expectations: I thought it wouldn't be interesting at all, and now I'm glad I was (completely) wrong.

Erik was totally in-character (yay!), and I was once again impressed with the quality of your writing. Great job! n.n
Nameless chapter 1 . 1/3/2006
That phic always seemed so boring to me, but today, I decided to give it a try, after all, it was written by everyone's favorite Scorpion, so it couldn't be bad! And now, I'm really glad I read it. :D That chapter was great, and even though I remember reading in your profile that it was kinda... left behind, I'll keep reading. Now I just hope I won't die of anxiety when I'm done!
Fishy chapter 3 . 6/14/2005
You come up with the absolute best story ideas ever. Honestly! You're an awesome-phic-plot-generating machine. And combine such a talent for stories with a talent for characterization and an eloquent, flowing writing style, and you get an amazing writer.

To be honest, I hate E/OW. But I'm interested to see what point you're trying to make about it.

Dude, I just love your writing. All of it. It's just brilliant, and it's such a relief from (and so much more INTERESTING than) the endless piles of fluff. You are far and away the best phic writer I've come across in the phandom.
The Corpse's Lullaby chapter 3 . 5/24/2005
Tracking the years Erik spent as a mason... that is certainly an imposing task. What shapes the character in his early years is almost as important (if not more) than his life post-Christine. I wonder if that's why so few stories are dediated to them. Not many people can take time period with visible success. (The retch-awful book by the inglorious Susan Kay is a prime example.) The difference between this and lesser stories, of course, is that this *isn't* a lesser story. In fact, it's actully quite amusing.

(But I might just be recovering after reading some of your... heavier subject matter.)

The richness of detail and depth of Erik's character is so becoming in this. You add passion and emotion to his person without depriving him of his morbid nature. He's so delightfully wicked!

I must warn you, in advance, that adding an additional love interest for Erik (especially in his earlier years) can be very problematic. As his relationship with Christine is the focal point of the original story, an author has to be careful that they're writing 'in relation' to Christine and not against her. Not that I think you're incapable of writing a believable alternative, as I think you're an amazing writer. :)

I just would like authors to be more aware of how they're writing. In a paltry attempt to have Erik sexually and/or emotionally gratified by someone other than Christine, they've knocked off the purpose of her altogether. You just can't do that and have it work. I have nothing against 'other' women, actually. Just their writers. ;)

I wish there was more to read. How often do you update your stories? I hesitate to begin another when I'm finding myself emotionally invested in this and other stories.
Senna Wales chapter 3 . 5/11/2005
Wow. WOW.

I don't think I've read any EOW story where the woman was so perfect and yet not for Erik. And especially, for Dark!Erik. Sure, I've seen perfect non-Christine females for Gerik, ALW!Erik, Fluffy/romantic!Erik, etc., but never for Dark/Horror!Erik. :D

Of course, I should not be surprised that YOU could write up the perfect yet flawed OW for your own characters. :)

"She looked much more as if she had just come up from the mortuary beneath his office than from the north part of France."

"Leger had been right. She was beautiful. Beautiful, and completely artificial."

...yet flawed! :) But he's yet to see her eyes, eh? That might change things. :P

So, anyway, as always I loved the dialogue between Leger and Erik. So very like "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern"! :)

I also really liked Erik's meeting with the woman. It reminded me a lot of "Darkness Purged to Light" Erik. Both are in complete control, no matter what's going on, no matter who they're seeing. Even though Erik may have been nervous, he certainly didn't exhibit any, and didn't lose any of his charisma/control. Not even in his thoughts did he falter. (Which is what I LOVE about how you write Erik: even when you write from his POV, he never dissolves into mushy fluff! :D)

I loved the second-to-last paragraph.. just reading about that cold, sadistic joy he derives from others' pain.. After reading so many phanphics in which the author (unsuccessfully) tries to add a little bit of "bloodlust" to her romantic/fluffy Gerik (totally does not work and ends up sounding cliched and contrived).. this paragraph was so, so nice. :D So eloquent and detailed and chilling. :D THANK YOU! :)

So he agrees, does he? I want to see what happens next! Plleeaassee update soon! :D
Senna Wales chapter 2 . 5/11/2005
*checks the phic categories* Hmm, just drama/romance? Methinks there's an undertone of mystery and even horror in this chapter! The way Erik is so maddeningly obsessed with what little he saw in the architectural designs.. the way those two men were hanging around in his home when they should not have been, as if they know something he doesn't.. "It's never what you expect!"... all those things add a sort of creepy tone to the story. Sort of like foreshadowing stranger things to come. :)

Strong narration as usual, and Erik is so in-character with his cold indifference to people's lives. :)
Senna Wales chapter 1 . 5/11/2005
My dear, Queen of Morbidity Scorpion, ;)

At last, AP exams are over and my AP classes are no longer giving out so much work. For once, I am BORED and have FREE TIME. So what did I do? I decided I would complete my goal of reading all of your stories. And by the looks of it, I'm less than halfway through! So here we go, reading Master Mason in an attempt to read all of your phics! :)

This first chapter has definitely intrigued me. Actually, your author's notes alone sparked interest. Erik? Other woman? Scorpion? Those three names are included in one sentence only if it's along the lines of something like, "Scorpion believes that Erik/Other Woman does not work." ;) Or... will you surprise me? We'll see! :) I think I may know where this is going.. perhaps to prove that EOW does not work? I don't know, but I'll keep reading and hope that a resolution is given by chapter 3! :)

Opening paragraph wow. Cold, entombing marble. Chilling imagery. :)

Erik's dialogue with Leger: have you read "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead"? Because if you have.. their dialogue totally reminded me of that play! And if not.. well, just know that I love the way Erik and Leger banter back and forth with their vague half-sentences, questions, and interruptions. Their dialogue is interesting in an incomplete way - almost as if I were eavesdropping in the middle of a conversation where people are speaking only in fragments and I'm trying to figure out what's going on. Definitely intriguing. :) You practically don't even have to tell us that Leger understands Erik - their dialogue alone shows a sense of casualness, that they've been together in this business for a while and are at ease with each other.

"Where was the new one he had just earlier taken from the box? And why was the organization of his desk in such a deplorable state? In a short fit of aggravation, he swept the rolls of papers from the sloped surface to a no less ordered array on the carpet."

HAHAH! I love that part! How strange, I can actually relate to your Erik! :D

Erik's reasoning/rationalizing.. ah, very logical.

I have an idea what was in that envelope.. but I think it's way, way too Kay-ish what I'm thinking. Let's see what happens next.. :)
phantomy-cookies chapter 3 . 4/13/2005
((It was a dark morning.))

Haha. DUH! Does any other kind of morning exist in the land of 'Scorpion Fiction'? I have yet to click on something that began with "It was the sunniest, loveliest, happiest day outside as Erik went skipping down the sidewalk!"

(Sorry kisses, but sometimes your perpetual sense of morbidity deserves to be mocked. Just consider me the Leger to your Erik.)

*wink and grin*

Scrapping candlewax off the table! Nice stuff! Practicalities are very important! We can't assume there wouldn't be evidence of wax or weather visible when Erik practically set fire to his room the other night. PRACTICALITIES!

Your mysterious OTHER WOMAN is pretty interesting. What was it that Leger said?

"She has a special appetite for architects."

Special appetite. Which obviously means likes bedding them or eating them, correct? Perhaps both, now that I'm thinking about it. (Heehee.) She seems quite tricksy, even more so than Christine. (Well, Leroux!Christine anyway.) It'll be amusing to see whether or not Erik is able to keep the upper hand in this little charade they're about to embark on.

So! Yay! One more incomplete story to sit and stare at for the next few months! Huzzah! Luckily enough, this didn't necessarily cut off at a horribly high cliff (think: The Writing on the Wall) but it's sure to be another annoyance all the same.

Love you darling! Love your work! Can't be more eloquent than that, so I won't try.

*Adds to favorites*
phantomy-cookies chapter 2 . 4/13/2005
ROTFL! Midgets!

Well congratulations, darling! This is probably the first piece of fan fiction I've read that ever thought to incorporate 'little people'! You've now joined the ranks of all Midget!Phantom stories that have eloquently gone before: The Hammer version... the Englund version... the Argento version... even the Schumacher version!

Move over guys! We have the Scorpion version now! Bwahaha!

Anyhoo, great chapter! So many wonderful things that caught my eye. Erik residing above a mortuary is another nod to that great sense of humor of yours that I ADORE. (Heehee.) The little bits of foreshadowing you throw out here and there were great as well:

((He had worked with laborers as long as he could remember in those times when building was the focus of his life, but now that he had settled down after being spoiled with the power of politics and the magic of manipulation, a great part of him still missed the sense of having control over something greater than the building of a simple house.))

Beautifully written... and it makes perfect sense when you think about it. These subtle nuances of Leroux you include in your writing really make my day. I savor them like I would a particularly good piece of sushi. Delicious!

M. Guess I was wrong about the nudie photos. Haha. The designs make much more sense, though. And kudos to you for having the audacity to make someone possibly more skilled than Erik at architecture! We tend to make the masked man quite omnipotent in our stories, don't we? It takes guts to throw some humility at him, especially since 98% of the stories here seem to believe Erik is a breath away from Superman. (Minus the tights.)

I guess we Erik lovers are a might silly like that. :D

In any case... GOOD. I'm already fully regretting the fact that I started this. Hooray for you!
phantomy-cookies chapter 1 . 4/13/2005
Bah! I caved!

My relentless search to cure myself of mid-afternoon boredom has, inevitably, led me to the one and only story of yours I have NOT started. Sucks to be me. (LOL) Uh oh! Looks like this is going to be something else to start harassing you about! Haha!

(Guess that means it sucks to be you as well!)

*wink and grin*

An *OTHER WOMAN* story! By the Scorpion? Probably the only E/OW story I just might be able to stomach. Heehee. Just think! If Christine has received her share of the Scorpion treatment, I can just IMAGINE what you're gonna have in store for THIS bitch! Mwahahaha!

*Glares menacingly at everyone who is not a Christine lover*

I had to re-read the opening portion of this chapter before I actually understood what was going on. I don't know if you meant it to be confusing, or if I'm just particularly dim-witted today.

Leger: "Who is she?"

Erik: "Yes."

Leger: "You surprise me."

Erik: "Really?"

Cookies: "Huh?"

LOL. That's the great thing about your stories, darling. You just sort of throw us into the middle of a conversation... with no apologies. You might liken it to tossing us into the sea and demanding we swim. "Swim! Swim damn you! Or you're going to drown! Bwahahaha!" (Heehee.)

LOVE your Erik. Wouldn't go so far as to call him 'Kay-ish' because that would cheapen my opinion of him. Scorpion!Erik is very much a man unto his own. (And what a delightful man that is...)

I think I laughed when I read Leger's little quip "... she did not seem like the sort of woman to mind if a man were to keep his mask on."

Woo! I know I wouldn't! ;)

And ah! An envelope with mysterious contents. How very curious. Did she send him nudie photos? (Whoops! Forgot we were supposed to IM you our suspicions. Shame on me.)

Brilliant beginning, kisses. Can't WAIT to see where we're going!

Brenna chapter 1 . 3/31/2005
Just out of curiosity - have you ever read Henrik Ibsen's "The Master Builder?" I read it a little while after a friend of mine started writing an opera based on it for his senior project, and this story reminds me of it a bit.

I love this - it's just so dark, and mysterious, and everything wonderful that a PhanFic should be. Keep up the good work. I look forward to further updates. :)