Reviews for Hiei's Kittens
PenguinBandit523 chapter 1 . 10/12/2011
Awwww, that was much more touching than I had expected it to be, wow, I didn't think it could be done. - Being that sweet (not fluffy, sweet) and still having both Karama And Hiei still be in character. 3

I loved it! Definitely a favorite story.
Ranuel chapter 1 . 4/6/2010
There is nothing better than a waffty story with these two that is also in character. I've had the heartbreaking experience of trying to save a kitten orphaned that young and I was really involved with the kittens in the story and how they were doing as much as with the boys. I like your idea for a cover story for Hiei and the way you have Shiori treat Hiei. Another good thing about this story was that she was a three dimensional character instead of a prop. Thank you for your work with the humane society. People like you save the lives of countless pets and make the passing of those that can't be saved easier.
imaginlover chapter 1 . 5/25/2009
Sweet...
Valinor's Twilight chapter 1 . 12/18/2008
this was such a sweet story, I enjoyed it.
Hieiko chapter 1 . 11/1/2007
Very touching...
MyAibou chapter 1 . 6/5/2007
This was touching. I don't know Hiei's canon character, but I think you did a good job of showing how someone caring about something even though he likes to think of himself as completely aloof. It didn't seem overly sappy or sentimental.

I'm sorry about your two kitties. :(
Yokocw chapter 1 . 12/29/2006
That was so cute.
Isis the Sphinx chapter 1 . 11/8/2006
Aw...SO KAWAII! Having MANY cats myself, and having witnessed the birth of a few, I know what it's like to have kittens. It's a real ride, to go through raising them.

Cover the furniture! It's coming! IT'S COMING!

And in comes the little kitten, ready to shred everything in sight...
TrisakAminawn chapter 1 . 8/26/2006
Hehe. Yeah, that all does fit within the character, although the Hiei you envision is more sentimental than I would have thought, even leaving the kittens aside. But then, maybe caring for small fuzzy things would do that. Extremely amusing and adorable. Some wicked moments there. Heh. Telepathy? *tries to remember if she's seen any of that between them before* XD No memory of the vixen. Fair enough.

Yay for good fan fiction, because it's rather thin on the ground in this genre. Five cats is quite a few. Bet your house smells of cat. My bedroom is the only place in this house that smells of them. I have no idea why they like it in here so much...
mannd1068 chapter 1 . 6/7/2006
I really enjoyed your story! I think that you

really stayed close to character with both of them.

Deb
Meri Kaisla chapter 1 . 2/7/2006
Shelter stories ;) Thank you for this.
whitealmond chapter 1 . 11/26/2005
You managed to keep Hiei IC AND have him rescue a bunch of kittens, which is amazing. Great job XD
melodicmoonstar89 chapter 1 . 11/18/2005
That was a very lovely chapter. You really did capture the natures of the characters in this story. I'm sorry that the original kittens didn't make it. Can't wait to read more of your works.
Silent Shadow chapter 1 . 12/22/2004
Aw. A very sweet story! And my congrats that you made it sweet while still keeping the characters, well, in character! Very good story. Also, I'm very sorry to hear about your little kittens. A very nice way to remember them!
Joyeee chapter 1 . 10/24/2004
Hiya! Ready for 'nother long(er) rambling, I mean, review? I wonder if other readers will tell me to stop cluttering review space..._' But sometimes I read other reviews and find connections other reviewers make that I didn't, so! I'll keep posting reviews, clutter or no.

Uhh...again I'll make my review *cough* useful with a note about a line you probably just missed while revising: Hiei's "They're noisy. How do make them be quiet?"

Once again, your attention to small details is great! We see the characters mostly when they're in the heat of battle or otherwise...uh...intensely occupied. You show this in the fic - when he comes in the window with one arm under his cloak, Kurama automatically asks, "Are you injured?" That's their sort of lifestyle. So, usually readers' attention is not drawn to the more mundane things. Still, the characters themselves would - must - have such concerns, like Hiei, trying "not to think about what the drenching might have done to his sword." _ Insanely powerful as he is, he still can't escape chores like weapon maintenance (it's just that his chores differ a little from regular folks' _)...and neither can he avoid rain soakings that numb his toes. With such details you not only make the characters more realistic, but involve readers more. I may be able to imagine, but I don't *know* how the heck it feels to be so weakened by summoning Kokuryuha that sleep is *mandatory*, nor (thankfully) how it feels to have youkai teeth sink into my shoulder or blades cut an *eye* in the middle of my forehead. But boy, I *know* that numb toe feeling when the rain soaks through my shoes! Very appropriate "human" (for lack of a better term) characterization, given the events and tone of this fic, which puts super-extraordinary, non-human characters into a situation lots of us regular ol' humans can identify closely with.

Oh, Kurama and Hiei occasionally have "business when and where humans would see them?" *glint in eye* A line that can open many, many doors, methinks...

I like how Hiei's initial reactions to the poor mother cat and the kittens reflects his own background. (He thinks "diminutive cats" instead of "infant cats" - to him they are likely not cats, but another species entirely!) What would he, abandoned as an infant, a being who grew up in the ruthless Makai, know about how mothers' abdomens swell and how the very young are also very small? At first I wondered that he would not have an inkling that the cat in the street had been recently pregnant - surely he must have picked up *something* about how life begins sometime in his past? But he isn't so old a youkai after all, and unless he actually saw a mother giving birth I don't think the connection would be obvious, so...it makes sense! And along the same lines, you write that Kurama "had no idea" what kittens eat - but considering that he took bio etc., he can make the educated guess of "milk of some kind." _ Another way you have Hiei's reactions reflect his past and make him more "real" is his thought: "So goes life. Only the strong survive...but even the strong have to start somewhere" even though the way you wrote it, and given his personality, I don't think he consciously, fully made that connection to himself right then.

Kurama and Hiei may be far more able to fend for themselves than Shiori, but when it comes to caring for others - in this case, kittens - naturally Shiori's the authority. And as a mother, of course she'd be amused at how these two "boys" are completely out of their element trying to care for infant animals, and she'd have memories that would - haha! - not help Kurama's reputation as a top-notch thief and formidable fighter. Again, you give depth to a minor character, showing the "normal" side of her that we don't really get to see in canon, the healthy, capable woman whose care infused so much gentleness and compassion into a heart that had been conditioned for centuries to be ruthless, even cruel.

Hiei, an "eccentric schoolmate who had delusions of being a ninja!" Kurama, whom Yomi says thinks 3 times as much as any cool-headed bystander even though *he's* the one fighting, and not them, flummoxed into complete inaction by a kitten with a little diarrhea! Goodness, the two of them as "parents" having to wake up in the middle of the night! BWAHAHA! Still, although this story is much lighter than "Partners..." and "What Goes Around," you never forget the background of the characters. Example: when Shiori suggests naming the kittens,

"'Yukina and Hina,' Hiei murmured without hesitation, staring at the furballs cupped in his hands."

Though this fic treats us to a slew of hilarious Kodak moments (even Hiei agreed! well, at least about Kurama) of the "once-infamous, brutally cruel Silver Fox" and the jaganshi who mastered the Kokuryuha, this line gave my heart a little wrench. I guess what I'm trying to say is that just as you weave humor into dire situations so excellently in your more serious stories, you do just as well going the opposite way, with dashes of seriousness in a light-hearted story!

And finally, I think most would automatically assume that Hiei would name the mutant after himself, or pay the most attention to the one named Yukina - but in your story it's Hina that's the focus, bringing to the forefront Hiei's respect and even love for his mother in a way canon never did. It was nice how you sort of completed a circle at the end - Hina's memory is still "too precious, too sacred" and now Hiei's caring for the kitten named after his mother as his mother didn't have the chance to for him. Also, I realize the kitten doesn't have any "revenge" to take, exactly (unless it...uh...somehow knows which car ran over its mother and in the future somehow finds it and scratches it with its extra claws or something _'), but I think you show how far Hiei has come by making his line different from that of the ice maiden who told him to return for revenge, instead telling Hina the kitten to "have a better life."