Reviews for Heart of the Dream
Silivrenelya chapter 4 . 1/25/2013
I know it's been years you haven't published on ffnet, but I really wanted to let you this review, even if I quite don't know if you will ever read this haha..
Anyway. I just wished to congratulate you for this amazing story. Your vocabulary is rich (and being French, it is truely handful, I'm improving just by reading you), your scenario is well handled, and your writing is really imaged. So, yes, I'd say I love your story. It has all the things I ask for when I come to read stories. Beautiful, rich, with the perfect mix of action and feelings. This is really good.
Congratulations, and keep writing!

xx

- Sili

(ps: sorry for the mistakes I might have done... )
Readin-and-Writin chapter 1 . 1/1/2013
Today is January the 1st, which makes it 9 years since this story has been posted! I read the LoTR books long ago, but recently watched the movies and found a renewed interest, which caused me to wander around in the fanfiction land of Lotr for the first time. The first chapter of this story instantly captured my attention. I wonder why it has received so little reviews! Oh well, I love your writing and this seems like a very intriguing start. (bookmarks story)
aRedBaroness chapter 8 . 10/26/2012
This was hot, well-written and you handled the character's and their concerns very well on a slow boil. Good job!
gginsc chapter 8 . 7/11/2011
Well done! You are a truly gifted writer.
DeadEmy chapter 8 . 5/30/2010
Just have to say: this is the best fic I've read for a long while. The language is dead on and the plot is great. I almost didn't want to continue when I read the rape scene, but I'm glad I did! It's. Just. Awesome.

Thank you for writing this!
fangirl29 chapter 8 . 12/30/2008
I know it has been years since you posted this story but I am only now getting around to reading it. I was a bit worried at how you would have Aragorn defile Legolas in such an intimate way. However, I was relieved at how well written that chapter was. I can see how it is an important part of the story and for the growth of the characters. Thank you for sharing your wonderful talents!
mezzles chapter 8 . 12/21/2008
Wow, where to begin... This has to be one of the most powerful LOTR FanFics I've read, in language, plot, emotion and characters. Your writing is intensely touching, and the way in which you convey emotions, sometimes just through a character's body language, is an art. Thanks for the great read!
Nimmi chapter 2 . 7/18/2006
All right, that's it. I've gone back to this chapter for the 25th time now in a month so I think this warrents a review of sorts. AH! ITHILIEN! I LOVE YOU! *tackles* I just started getting into slash, and looking for new fics I came across this one of all things. *chuckles* It is still my #1 favorite. No matter now much I look, your writing and ideas fit far too much with my own likes for me to like another as much. You just capture Aragorn and Legolas SO incredibly well in their reactions and character, (as far as fanfiction goes) and I just can't get sick of it. It's so realistic; unlike what I see in some others where Legolas would melt into the kiss "unexpectedly" instead of actually flinching away in this one, which, I will admit, captures my heart every time. _ That part was SO unexpected and SO cool I just - *squeals* love it! I owe you one Ithilien, this story really rocks the house.

About the end though, I must say you surprised me to a squealing degree again. I didn't understand it until the second time I read it, (I'm a horrible skimmer at times) but boy did that send a chill down my spine. The reason for Legolas surviving was Aragorn...*sobs* AH! That is SO sweet. You really know how to hit those heart strings. _ Well done Ithilien, well done. You totally have the character personalities down, and it really is a joy to read.

I will be lurking around. Count on it. _
lostinterestsorry chapter 8 . 7/11/2006
I remember reading this story when you first posted it and came across it again today during a search. It was utterly mesmerizing and intricate and I applaud you for a incredible piece of writing. The only thing I can't imagine is why I didn't have it on my Favorites list until now.
Gildor chapter 1 . 1/4/2006
"Quenya", not "Quenyan".
docmon chapter 8 . 10/25/2004
wow. that was... intense! you really didn't miss an emotion with this one. The despair, sorrow, anger, fear, the guilt and grief, the loss of what could have been, and hope for what still can be, all put me through the ringer! Phew! I'm tired out just thinking about them.

But the terrific thing was how well-written this was. Outstanding characterization, which I think is saying a lot since you were trying to write Aragorn intentionally "out of character" - as in, twisted by the Ring. But always, with all characters, I felt they rang true to how Tolkien drew them.

Amazing job with the imagery and metaphors here too. The parallel dreams worked well, as did the recurring phrases. And in the end, I'm not convinced Aragorn's last dream was actually a dream at all, but perhaps Legolas's turn at succumbing. But I was relieved, and felt my hope renewed, with the ending. To see that they had both found a place where they could come to and begin to recover, forgive, and move on, spoke to the depth of their feelings and the strength of their friendship. That they came to that through a wordless look was appropriate, I thought. A wonderfully poignant moment.

I did see Legolas's struggle through Aragorn's eyes - though sometimes I wanted more, it was clear this was Aragorn's story. You gave enough there. I know you were concerned with this from those review responses you included (yes, I do read them!) I could see what Legolas went through, but there was sufficient mystery to leave room for suspense as well as a little reader interpration.

I also have to say (b/c I also read it in your reviewer response notes) that I agree with you that this wasn't *really* a slash story, but a story with slash in it. A relationship wasn't a major part of the story, the sex nor the rape were the point of the story. The ability of the Ring to corrupt, and the extent to which it can do this, that was the point as I saw it. Aragorn, a noble man for the most part, succumbed to the lowliest of places. Even Legolas, and yes, Gandalf, felt it. It does make Frodo's struggle something to appreciate more. But something else you said in a response struck me as the key to it all: Hobbits desires are purer, because of their sheltered life, and so they are less easily corrupted. That made a lot of sense to me. And of course, they're stronger than we ever guess. ;-)

great, great job!

monica
Estel-Ara chapter 8 . 10/5/2004
Legolas and fresh galenolas leaves... Hm... Maybe the elf is not so innocent... Maybe Aragorn's dream is not at all a dream...

But in the end they saved one another, because neighter one of them do not tell the words that can condamn the one they love to the darkness - "I want you..."

They both succeded...

Yhis was a very beautiful piece of work!
sielge chapter 8 . 10/3/2004
This was an intriguing and very good story! Great work!
Rozzan chapter 8 . 7/22/2004
Rozzan here. I've only just finished reading here Ithilien (The story disappeared from AFF where I usually am.)

WOW, loved it all but the last chapter where you came full circle and redeemed it was brilliant, tying up the use of the plant with the fresh leaves floating in the water, nice mind nudging touch... did Legolas actually use them, I found myself wondering?.. not that it mattered either way... using the mirror image of the violation in Aragorn's dream and showing us Legolas's perpestive and ultimately his beautiful noble loving heart...Ahh Just what I like! Perfect Elf.
Templa Otmena chapter 8 . 7/21/2004
See... I think that somewhere in that very uneloquent review I was *trying* to say this-

'And yet, strangely, Aragorn's guilt was not a burden to him now. Despite the reality of having to live again and again with the memory of the crime he had committed, Aragorn had come to see something he had not realized before. He recognized that his choices were greater than what he had allowed himself to believe, and that in accepting his criminal offense, a part of him came to understand that he truly could feel abiding emotions for Legolas.'

...about Aragorn accepting what he had done and that it would forever be a part of him and allowing himself to take something from it.

As I have said throughout you have handled the Aragorn POV excellently and the fic has been in no way lacking as a result of this exclusivness. In this chapter you truly showcased just how well you write as Aragorn in how much you revealed of Legolas and what he went through. The whole chapter was a wonder to read and Aragorn's realisation so beautifully illustrated.

I especially enjoyed reading the sentiments regarding Love having saved Legolas from fading. This section-

'Sorrow and guilt were combined there too. But beyond these, there was also love.

Love.'

reminded me very much of one of my favourite poems by one of my least favourire poets ;) The last stanza goes-

'Time has transfigured them into

Untruth. The stone fidelity

They hardly meant has come to be

Their final blazon, and to prove

Our almost-instinct almost true:

What will survive of us is love.'

'An Arundel Tomb' Philip Larkin

You captured this universal so well and gave the trials that the characters' suffered meaning. I also enjoyed the contrast between what Aragorn and Legolas could feel with that of the Ring and ultimately Sauron-

'So depraved was It that It did not know love could be more than base sexual lusts.'

This fic has been such an enjoyable challenge to read. I am still deliberating over *many* points which only adds to its charm!

Thank you so much for writing and sharing this!