Reviews for Anessë
RavenLady chapter 1 . 3/18/2005
Nimloth and Dior deserve more attention, and this beautiful fic is certainly worthy of them. Very vivid and memorable.
Werecat99 chapter 1 . 5/13/2004
I absolutely loved this. The use of present tense struck me as a bit strange at first, but it gave the story a very vivid atmosphere.
A pleasure to read, as always.
Ariel3 chapter 1 . 5/9/2004
Very nicely done, and not so obscure that a Silmidiot like me couldn't figure out what was going on. Bravo - you slid this handily into canon without ruffling any feathers.
lucia chapter 1 . 5/9/2004
simply...beautiful. thank you very much for this tale about the forgotten characters of sindarin history. celeborn, dior, and nimloth just don't get enought credit...and well, it was wonderful seeing galadriel both an ethreal queen and woman longing for a child. hope you write more with these characters.
Nevdoiel chapter 1 . 5/9/2004
Whoa. That was good. Really good. Great characterization of Celeborn.
Losinde chapter 1 . 5/8/2004
Gosh, it's so beautiful. It's interesting seeing it in Nimloth's point of view. Not only because there's so few Dior and Nimloth stories, but also because she is decribed only by name, and who she is related to.
I really love the last line: "My husband receives it, blood dripping on the stone floor from the cut in his hand, not silent because he does not trust words, but because he will not halt the echo of his name." The blood, and his own quiet admission of the name are really the ones doing the echoing.
By the way, Nimloth is listed as Galathil's daughter in the UT. It goes with the same piece of canon that states Elmo as Thingol's brother.
Nol chapter 1 . 5/8/2004
Sigh. The word 'beautiful' leaps to mind repeatedly. Everything about this story - the characters, the atmosphere, the 'look' and 'feel' of it, and the threads of emotion that run through it so strongly - that one word comes back to describe all of it. And yet there's nothing ponderous about it. Can it be possible to call such a wonderfully-described situation 'minimalist'? Hmm. I'm going to use it anyway. Celeborn says it best with his silence. As does Dior, come to think of it. Love the PoV, love Galadriel and baby Elwing. And that line, "Beleriand does not bother to whisper discreetly of her relationship with Celeborn." !
Love it, love this. Thank you so much. I'm so very very pleased to have this as a birthday gift.
Bejai chapter 1 . 5/7/2004
S, this is glorious! And there you were, wondering if it was flat, when what you were sitting on what a story I've always wanted to read! Just the other day I was thinking the Dior and Nimloth didn't have enough stories.
Loved the description of Menegroth, in both the glory that remains to it and the miasma of death that lies upon it.
Loved the description of Dior, the whispers that he was like Luthien, like Melian - but Nimloth telling us he is also like Beren
Celeborn stole the show, though. He always does. This is the last thing he can do for his king, though it costs him dearly. And I couldn't help but enjoy this line about C&G: "Beleriand does not bother to whisper discreetly of her relationship with Celeborn." I think we've all hinted at this touch of scandal in their relationship. They, of course, couldn't care less. And the children, and longing for children, are just a beautiful touch.
I'm rambling. But seriously, I could go line by line: "oh, this is good, and this, ooh, and this." Yet again, you've shown your strengths as a flexible, original author who does things that no one has ever done before. Very much enjoyed this!
Itarille chapter 1 . 5/7/2004
This is truly beautiful, and Dior is portrayed perfectly. It's a wonderful story.