Reviews for A Paradox of Destiny
sirnerdlord chapter 1 . 8/25/2010
i freaking loved this poem! it describes the situation perfectly! could you do another for kain's story?
Caorann fridh Bronach chapter 1 . 5/25/2005
I missed this, you're right. Technically, I missed a couple others, like your Stephen King one, but I wanted to wait in case I read the books first.

Wow, I love the switch in the middle of the poem to echo back to the beginning in a new way. I don't know Raziel, but I think I am getting a good idea of his identity and even his personality from how you have the mournful tone and choice of words to describe what he went through.

I'm curious about how you said Raziel changed to vampire and then to soul reaver. If I knew what the last was exactly, I'd probably see the change in the poem to that, or maybe it is nearly the same as a vampire and the lack of a sudden change mimics that. Then again, the sudden mention of it in the third stanza from the end could do the opposite for it - make it a shock and draw attention if it is something completely different - so you're covered either way.

"Wholly" is an excellent word to use, I think, and all the changes that happen in the lines that repeat give added depth and a new perspective. A simple change from "godforsaken" to "all-forsaken" creates a completely new tone and great contrast.

The rhythm flowed very well in the poem, as did the rhyme. When I was reading it, I could nearly hear someone muttering this to himself, a cursed reminder of his life. Then, with all the imagery, I could see, hear, taste, touch, smell what was going on. This was especially evident with the "gleaming fangs of white," "claws that click," "screeching cry," and "flesh and bone become as stone."

The turning point is one of my favorite lines for the contrast and description it holds: "Salvation lost, the threshold crossed

Warm blood replaced by deathly frost"

So hopeless the poem is. Nice job depressing readers.

Quite a well-written poem to flow easily and make easy sense all while staying in rhythm, end rhyme, and even internal rhyme. I'm amazed at how you did all that and probably even more I didn't notice.

The final line is like the narrator droning off in contemplation, staring out at nothing and thinking ahead of eternal life. Forever stuck. Terrible, just terrible. But you wrote it splendidly.
The Acid Rabbit chapter 1 . 6/12/2004
VERY good. I love the rhyme scheme and the internal rhyme. The beginning is a bit hard to follow, but overall it's great.

Keep writing.
Alexia Lupin chapter 1 . 5/13/2004
I really liked this. Rhyming poems are hard in my opinion, and I think you did quite well. It could have been more angsty however, but very good nonetheless.