Reviews for Swimming Against Waves
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 6/27/2005
I was crying as I read this, really. This is just awful. It makes sense that you first esablish that Maedhros believes himself to be uttely immoral, with those lines about Finrod or Fingon (ouch) having the Silmarils. But even with all that guilt, he still feels ashamed of what he is doing with Elros, and rightly so. I'd call this child molesting rather than romance, although neither see it that way. He's letting Elros give something that he is too young to understand, and that Elros wants it is no excuse, especially since Maedhros is in a quasi-parental relationship with him. And what's worse, nothing that Elros can give will help. It can't.

But ack, I feel for both of them and feel the reality of their love for each other. And Maedhros is just loveable, even in his most fallen state.
RavenLady chapter 1 . 2/28/2005
My first reaction when I saw the pairing was "Nol has gone off the deep end and committed a fandom heresy . . ." But I was curious, so I read it. And I'm stunned: it makes perfect sense, it's beautifully written and memorable, and the end is absolutely wrenching, and I am gushing, if you haven't noticed. One more thing, there's something very haunting about the "once upon a time" interruptions.
Arhuaine chapter 1 . 5/13/2004
I know I already reviewed this on LJ but I just wanted to say again how much I love this story.
lipstick chapter 1 . 5/9/2004
This is stunning again, very haunted. I liked your Easterling woman equating elves with ghosts. It's all saying there time is up. They're going back to fairy stories. *Sniffs* You're right Elros is a little savage, but he's a compeling one, the only match for Mae, the only one bold enough to sleep with that red ghost. I loved Elros' first time too, the power of the scene with Mags and the understatement of he slash. Lovely.
Itarille chapter 1 . 5/9/2004
Absolutely beautiful, poignant, and heartbreaking. Everything about this story just seems perfect, from the characterizations to the settings to the dialogue. I'm in awe.
Marnie chapter 1 . 5/9/2004
Gah! How can something so sad be so beautiful? Maedhros so detached and so arrogant, and Elros so heedless, and young, with the kind of innocent certainty that this means something not just to him. And yet the kind of languid sensuality and loveliness of it makes it seem almost right.
I'm beginning to see what you mean about your muses being poisonous, but I liked that moment of collapse for Fingon's sake which showed that Maedhros *is* capable of love, even if Elros hasn't a hope for himself. No wonder the vine decided to uproot itself and plant itself somewhere else afterwards!
Gorgeous, but it hasn't made me like the Feanorians any more than I did ;)
Sphinx chapter 1 . 5/9/2004
The word 'exceptional', I think, is best used to describe this. And simply everything about it is just that. From Maedhros' rather poignant indulgance of Elros, to Elros' brash, boyish, I-Am-The-King-Of-The-World demeanor, this is brilliant sketch in characterization and AU plotlines. I am so gald you decided to post this. It is, most certainly, my favourite of all your writings.