Reviews for The Way of Go
pikaree1 chapter 10 . 6/14/2014
Tee hee! Allusions to volume 18! Why am I talking about a literary device in what's probably an improper way!
Elise chapter 10 . 10/20/2013
Amazing story.
Haruna Pan chapter 10 . 8/10/2011
Well, I have yet to meet the more supernatural parts of this story, but I've been really enjoying it, so I'll believe you on how this story is not abandoned and hope for someday. By the way i dropped by to thank you.

Matta itsuka ni!
Hoppy159 chapter 10 . 8/6/2011
I've really enjoyed the story, I hope you'll come back to it some day. I am aching to find out the results on the divination Fuku and his grandfather perform on Akira, and to find out who else they do it for (Hikaru, Way, Isumi)? And to possibly get another glance at the future in store for Oka, even if it's more hints?

I know it's been nearly four years since your last update, but one can hope! It's too interesting a story to leave unfinished! Thanks!
Lucillia chapter 10 . 7/26/2010
This story is awesome. Why did you stop it three years ago? Do you ever have any intention of continuing it? I like it and would love to see where it goes.
Maggie chapter 10 . 7/26/2010
Update onegai! This is so good I don't even want to threaten you, despite how long it's been since you reviewed. Haha, there IS a manga about Go, and you two are main characters! Hotta-sensei IS a genius to write HnG. Seriously, even normal shonen manga (as opposed to HnG) are often very good. PLEASE update this is so good I'm going to log in and fave it ASAP.
Coryx chapter 1 . 10/14/2009
...Wait.

...WAIT.

No. No. No. DID NOT NEED THAT...

But really, Sai /drinking/? I don't think sake's that high proof (or is it? You can get different proofs of the same alcohol, can't you? Oh god, I sound like I'm talking about geometry now...) Anyway, it's leading my trains of thought down bad paths... Like what kind of drunk Sai would be... which I REALLY REALLY REALLY don't want to think about because first of all, that's just... NO, and second of all, alcohol is a device commonly used by yaoi fangirls whom I abhor... -deepbreath-

You can tell I'm tired, can't you?

. Yay for Sai's enthusiasm. Although, I think you used the word 'Verily' wrong? It's not one I'd use in fanfiction, anyway... Makes you sounds like you're trying to sound archaic. Sort of like badly-used Shakespearean. It's awkward, and throws off your readers.

Oh, cool. Like the king who forbade the word 'no', ne? (That'd cause a problem in Japan... xD)

I'm reading Genji Monogatari... No resemblance to Sai, though. Genji is the most womanizing /bastard/... And you hate him, but then something bad happens and you feel sorry for the creep, even though you shouldn't! -mutter- Nah, I kinda like him (even though, like I said, I shouldn't). And it helps that the phrasing is the most obscure in the world. Quirk of translation, I think...

Kh! Not rival, not rival. No bastard who cheats is worthy of being ANYONE'S rival. 'Specially not yours, Sai. Cheater doesn't deserve to live; cheater deserves to die. Not you, Sai; should have been Akitada. Honest person has future; cheater has nothing.

Pseudo-philosophical babble aside-The BASTARD! He shouldn't even be allowed to play, dammit! NO ONE who cheats should be! How can you-? How COULD you-? Dammit, I've never even played on a real BOARD and I feel this strongly about it!

...Wait, I seriously just used the :P emoticon? I MUST be tired...

There's a kami no itte for Shogi, too. . I don't believe in it, myself. Maybe a kami-no-shiai; divine game. Or maybe an unfixed kami no itte, or a multiple. 'Cause, with the way Go is-infinite options-like Sai says, no game can ever be played twice-there could be /two/ perfect games, leading to /two/ perfect moves. So it's either the kami no shiai, a game that is so perfect it cannot be surpassed (which I doubt; a game of infinite combinations... Well... you do the math), or a sort of compound kami no itte.

It's Touya-meijin. Obviously. Can't be anyone but Touya-meijin. A thousand-year gap is just an unfortunate bit of luck. So, Seimei, don't ask why Sai has pissed off the gods so badly; ask what he's done to gain so much favor.

Speaking of Touya-meijin, have you ever noticed that Sugawara-/sama/(sarcasm) looks kind of like his evil twin?

What about the Way of... Damn, can't remember her name. Ankh-Morpork lady. Dispenses bits of street wisdom to orange mountain monks. Ah yes; Mrs. Marietta Cosmopolite. (A few gems include "It won't heal if you pick it," "Because," and "If I see one more of you little orange devils peering in at me he'll feel the edge of my hand, all right?") What about her, then?

...On the other hand, Ankh-Morpork is a long way from Japan. A long, LONG way. Considering it only barely skirts around the shoals of reality anyway.

Nokozi? Don't know that term...

You should know that you've given me yet ANOTHER plot bunny. Congratulations; they are now officially an invasive species. Another bloody AU one, too...

Whoa, fail. xD BIG DIFFERENCE, Seimei-sama. (Who I have no aversion to using -sama for; he deserves it. And I'm kind of hesitant to using it for Sai, 'cause it makes me sound like a rabid fangirl. And I've already mentioned why I hate using it for Sugawara.)

Fue? I envy Sai for that. Because I seriously want one of those... I love wood flutes... -sigh- I think Sai's is a shinobue..?

-blink- Double atari threat? Sorry, I've been playing too much...

-wince- Ouch. I thought Shindou-ku-sa-sensei? I hate honorifics... Anyway, I thought Shindou-sensei was the only one could tick off Touya(-sensei, or is that the former -meijin?) like that.

Japan: Beating the US to weapons control by a good two hundred years. And counting.
damncritic chapter 10 . 6/25/2008
This is really unique and very nice, most especially with the suspense regarding Fuku and his possible readings. Though I guess I am a bit biased, since I'd like anything that has Akira as the main character (in a good light). But I'm really looking forward to Fuku and his grandfather's part in this story. Putting this in story alert.
HidingOut chapter 10 . 6/23/2008
Oka is so cute! And Hikaru's and Akira's friendship is REALLY properly developed in this. In the anime/manga, you just kinda assume...

You have a really easy to understand and follow style of writing that keeps things interesting. Also your good at creating 'exiting' moments in the story (i don't mean fights or tournaments, just the small things like the moonlight game, or the talk they had afterwards, or the talk between Oka and Hikaru).

Can't wait for the next chapter!
Yue Hime chapter 2 . 6/9/2008
hm... original, I like it!

but... Hero is set in the Ancient China, not Heian Japan... o.O
Summercloud chapter 10 . 4/29/2008
Ah, I definitely enjoyed this! You did have some grammatical errors, but I'm ashamed to say that I don't have any I can quote you right now. Nothing too serious, though! I especially liked the cultural notes at the end of each chapter. Thanks for letting me read this, and if you ever write more I'd love to read that, too.
attackfish chapter 2 . 4/10/2008
Interesting. I had wondered how Seimei would react to Sai’s inevitable death. I had thought that perhaps Seimei would bind him to the Go board, but he seems to interpret being a ghost as a punishment! (though, really, I rather agree with him). Interesting, because Sai was always thankful to the god for “allowing” him to stay. Fascinating juxt position you have there.

Er, the oracle’s statement at the end confused me. Did that mean that Seimei realized that Sai wanted to “wander,” as long as it meant that he could play go?

It's so interesting seeing Seimei analyze and consider Sai! His perspective is different, that's for sure. So many people write Sai as a sorrowful spirit without considering this idea of “selfishness.” Exploring other people’s reaction to Sai’s (coming, in this case) death/existence as a spirit is fascinating. Will you continue with Torajirou, or with Hikaru, I wonder?

I look forward to seeing your take on things! Wonderful style, and intriguing idea. Keep up the good work!
attackfish chapter 1 . 4/10/2008
It's so interesting seeing him analyze and consider Sai! His perspective is different, that's for sure. So many people

Oh, what an enjoyable chapter! Heh, Abe no Seimei as an old man is an intriguing idea. I loved the movie Onmyouji as well. :D I was in Japan when the second movie was released, and wow, that was fun watching it in theaters. Will Seimei do some onmyou next? Seimei is quite the character, isn't he. -

And with sweet, but proud Sai, they really make an entertaining pair. I've never seen a HikaGo story that has written Sai as a /live/ character in his native time before. What a treat! I love how you recognize Sai's character flaws, but also his childish enjoyment of the game. He's a complex character, and you do a great job with him.

Reading a Heian period piece is truly enjoyable.
Arkeus chapter 1 . 3/28/2008
poor sai..

Really unlucky :/
therhoda chapter 10 . 1/19/2008
i realized i had forgotten to review this when i went back for my reread. i really like Touya in this chapter. He's so unsettled because Hikaru has a disciple.

I hope this is updated soon.