Reviews for Beth
Zealous Iconoclast chapter 32 . 7/5/2006
This was one incredibly emotion-packed chapter! I admit, I'm curious as to which conversation "need[ed] to be written": they all seemed mighty necessary to me! As usual the verisimilitude of the reactions is just incredible! Especially the little girls' distress and varying reactions, right down to Grace's happy complacency at visiting Nana and her grandfather. Rob's rage is the perfect touch to round out the family's reaction to the situation. My heart bleeds for Beth, and also for Al. I eagerly await the next installment!
Nicole Harpe chapter 32 . 7/5/2006
Poor kidlets. Poor Beth. Poor Al. Bad Rob. I wanna hear Mama bawl him out! Great chapter. Keep it coming! I need to have them back together!
Drassil chapter 31 . 7/3/2006
Encountering the alternate ending to Mirror Image on YouTube (which as I'm sure you know features a glimpse of Al and Beth's daughters), then finding Al's family explored here, has been satisfying. As an observer (no pun intended), it's a challenge to see Al as a long-term husband and a father, so doubtless as a writer it's been a challenge for you, but you've risen to it admirably. Many of the scenes are very moving. I like the way that Al's 'new history' has some of the same milestones as his 'old history' (i.e. becoming an Apollo astronaut, joining Project Starbright, developing alcoholism), but with that in mind, it's a shame we've not had Al meeting the women who, under the original circumstances, would have become his other wives. Maybe it's not too late for such cameos. In any case, I look forward to reading how this epic story unfolds.
graciousplum chapter 31 . 6/24/2006
*sniff* Wow! That was so sad! I think meeting that elderly couple was exactly what Beth needed right then.

I think all these characters just need one big hug.)

Can't wait for the next chapter! Great job, as usual.
Nicole Harpe chapter 31 . 6/24/2006
Glad to see that finally allowed you to post! Children are remarkable little things. They seem to understand only what they choose to. Hopefully Bree will begin to lighten up for Beth's sake at least. Nicely written - as usual.

Keep going! Great story.
Zealous Iconoclast chapter 31 . 6/24/2006
Well worth the wait! The encounter with Aggie in the lobby was wonderful: a heartwarming portrait of human kindness. There are so many people like that couple in the world, and it's easy to forget that. Thanks for the much-needed reminder!

Poor Beth! Poor Briget! Poor Al... This was a very evocative chapter all around!
Madders Ahatter chapter 31 . 6/24/2006
Poor Beth, I felt tired just reading about that long drive!

And those girls - apart from Bree's sulks and stirring up her sister, they are remarkably well behaved - not one single "Are we nearly there yet?" !

Keep it coming, Jen, as always you leave us wanting more.
graciousplum chapter 30 . 6/10/2006
Another great chapter and this one was as emotionally touching as rest of the story!

I'm on tenterhooks to see what happens next! Keep 'em coming because I'm sure we're all anxious to see Al get back to being the old "sweet" Al. Hopefully, their seperation won't last long, and we'll see our protagonists together again like they should be!

Keep up the good work!
MagicSwede1965 chapter 30 . 6/9/2006
Wow, this is gorgeous. I'm scared to death for Beth and Al now and can't wait to see how things turn out. I loved the chapter in which Beth recognized Sam on TV! I look forward to more!
Madders Ahatter chapter 30 . 6/8/2006
Oh Jenny, you really know how to pile it on, don't you?

I made the mistake of reading this at work, since I was too impatient to wait til I got home.

Good job I was on a break and nobody was in, for I was crying unashamedly.

This chapter was a true three hankie weepie.

If you tug at my heart strings much more, they will be in danger of snapping, I swear it.

Don't keep us waiting too long for the next installment.
Marcus S. Lazarus chapter 30 . 6/7/2006
Powerful bit of work you've got here, really.

I've seen a few ideas for what might happen post-Mirror Image, but this once's the only one I've found that focuses on AL rather than Sam, and trust me; it is EXCELLENT.

The kids in particular are very cut characters; my only regret is that we can't see how Al would relate to a SON, but since it was explicitly stated that he's got four DAUGHTERS, I suppose you had to stick to that.

God, how you keep track of all these dates and things is AMAZING...

So, what's going to happen next?

Given that Al's in a self-destructive pattern right now, and based on something I saw in the show, shall I assume that, around this point, Al's going to meet Sam?

I mean, in the ORIGINAL history the two of them met while on the Starbright Project when Al was angry and yelling at a vending machine, and something was mentioned about Al being drunk, so the DETAILS seem to match up...

A fact tat I'm grateful for, believe me; I was worried for a bit that you were going to cut Sam and Al's friendship out of the whole series.

I have to wonder how Beth'll react to meeting her 'angel' in person? I mean, will she just try to act like she doesn't know him, or what?

Anyway, keep up the good work!
Zealous Iconoclast chapter 30 . 6/7/2006
Oh, God, that one made me cry... This story just keeps getting more and more captivating. Bravo. Keep going!
Nicole Harpe chapter 29 . 6/3/2006
I can see this happening. Nicely done. And while Al is stomping away, I like that Beth is also stomping. Can't wait to read the fireworks that surely are coming.
graciousplum chapter 29 . 6/2/2006
First of all:

Tell us what we did to get you to post another chapter so soon. That way we can make sure we do it again!

Wonderful storytelling as always. Your ability to portray every aspect of this story with vivid, dramatic realism and poignant heartache where necessary continues to astound me. You don't pull any punches about the horrors of living with an alcoholic.

You make me wish I could just hug all the characters, and that makes this story so entralling.

As I'm sure everyone else does, I eagerly await the next chapter. You'll have us all in heaven if the next one is posted as quickly as the last.
Zealous Iconoclast chapter 29 . 6/2/2006
Looks like it's my turn to cry "Best chapter yet!". The painful truth of this situation rings through loud and clear. Al, Beth and Theresa all react just as one would expect, the dialogue is succinct, powerful and frighteningly natural. Well done! I await the next installment with bated breath!
149 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »