Reviews for Echo
MariaFox24 chapter 6 . 1/9/2013
Omg I finally found the story that inspired to write my Sophie fic Tears Through the Abyss true it was very anti Lit but I also used the August theme. I am glad to finally found it.
Goomba chapter 6 . 9/15/2011
BWAHH? I don't think I ever expected a happy ending but that was just heartwrenching... because I want it to work and I hate that Rory didn't want to try (or at least that's how it seemed.) That for once Jess tried and Rory didn't. Because really - who moves out/in with a person and doesn't try to share some of the weight and responsibility? That's what irked me the worst was that you let Rory laze and mop around when she should have been working too - or something. However, it was very nicely written (save for a few worng words or typos) and it was very real, I just imagine and wish for a different outcome.

Goomba chapter 1 . 9/14/2011
How incredibly sad - I hope this has a happy ending.

Pam chapter 6 . 6/24/2007
I love how you write but being the obsessed Rory&Jess/Alexis&Milo fan, I hated the ending.

You're a gifted writer, don't stop.

Can you make a happier version of this? Thanks! ;D
helaluvE chapter 6 . 5/8/2007
depressing! but beautifully written :)
wellthatdepends chapter 6 . 2/9/2007

Am I glad I stumbled over this.

To be honest, it was the summary that drew me to this story. Simple and intriguing. Which is how I can sum up the whole fic.

This is one of the most beautiful and unique Literati fics I have read in a long time. I loved your interpretation of the characters. I love how you turned a seemingly simple plot device into a beautfully-heartbreaking story. Because that's what it was - heart-breaking. And in away, it makes this fic better than if it had been a happy one.

I found it extremely realistic. Jess working two jobs, Rory being drawn into her old life. The problems they faced were problems the readers were familiar with. Your ability to re-use already existing issues and tensions was remarkable.

(Kudos on how you resisted adding in a car accident or some sort of shouting match into the plot.)

The story was simple, short and had me hooked! It didn't drag on, and was the length was fitting (much like their relationship in the show). You didn't hide the characters problems behind the belief that 'love will conquer all' - the ending was bitter-sweet, with no real resolution being reached, just the feeling that everything will be okay. That they will be okay.

This is a brilliant story. Thank you for sharing.
Scazydramaqueen282 chapter 6 . 10/16/2006
Oh. My. Goodness.

Utterly fantastic. Reading this reminds me of why you are on my favorite authors list. Sweetie, you are the by far the best angst writer ever. Possibly just the best ever.

You know, I logged on tonight wanting to read some good Lit fluff. Somehow, my inner angst godess persuaded me to read this.

I really want to tell you how amazing this story is. How it changed my perspective, even if just on a certain event in my own life. However, my emotions have won the war with my analytical mind.

What I can say is this: Sometimes happy endings aren't enough. Sometimes, to make a story surpass good and become great we must abandon the ideals set out for us by other authors and readers, and delve into the unknown. This, this very story does that. I applaud you for being able to write such amazing, fantastic, perfect words. For being able to convey such a deeper, more intense feeling in the most simple and poetic words. Just, take every over-used positive adjective in the English language and multiply it by a billion. Maybe even more.

My favorite passages:

"Yet he was still there, still hanging on, clawing at logic. Eventually his fingers would slip."

It saddens me, yet the sadness aspires to be something more. I want to feel more than pity for Jess, but that is the only thing I feel that can be named.

"There were cracks in the sky as dawn approached and light began to seep through. Rory had her head on his shoulder, a leg casually thrown over his. He liked this – it was easy and familiar, something he was used to."

I love how you describe the scene. It's teetering on the edge of vauge-ness, so to say. Detailed, but not overly so. I hope that makes sense...

“This hurts,” she said absently. “I never thought it would hurt this much.”

That just spoke to me. Again, it mirrors a heartbreaking event in my own life, albeit unitenionally.

"She had parked along the street right outside the apartment building. He didn’t know how much change she had put in, how long she had been planning to wait inside with him, but the parking meter had time left."

This seems random. Just something Jess would notice.

"He calls, just as he said he would.

They talk as often as they can, in-between his jobs, after her classes, before she has to run to the paper. She calls him too, leaves him messages at work, always happy to hear his voice flood over the line.

One day, real life gets in the way again, and the calls come less. Once every two weeks. Once a month.

Eventually they stop as he becomes buried under worry for bills and finding another job, and she begins to stress over tests she has to take and articles she needs to write.

He runs out of time. He forgets to call.

She doesn’t notice how time slips away. She forgets it’s supposed to hurt."

Sorry for copying the entire last section, but I had to. *shrugs sheepishly*

You have convinced me of something. Heartbreak, even though aptly named, can be beautiful. And here, in this story, it is.

-Mariah *insert dozens of smiley faces*

P.S. I didn't add the smiles because I feel that adding something happy would compromise the feeling of the story and the review. Just know that it's amazing. And beautiful.
monalisa811 chapter 6 . 8/11/2006
that was absolutely amazing! girl you have it, you can be a great writer, that was awesome!
CharlotteSTs chapter 6 . 1/24/2006
Great story.

You even made me cry :(

You're amazing

xh4z3L3y3sx chapter 2 . 12/11/2005
You are a great author! I can't stop reading this, on to my next chapter.
Missez Ventimiglia chapter 1 . 12/7/2005
This: "He runs out of time. He forgets to call. She doesn’t notice how time slips away. She forgets it’s supposed to hurt." (chapter 6) reminds me of this: "The thing that was your bright treasure. You don't think about it. A loss you could not contemplate at one time, and now it becomes something you can barely remember. That is what happens." (Runaway, Alice Munro from the short story 'Chance') Your talent is uncanny, Elise.
Kasey Combs chapter 6 . 11/8/2005
That was such a cool story. The end made me cry.
RIKA chapter 1 . 11/6/2005
WOW! What a way to capture the reader's attention. You gave enough information to keep interest, while leaving enough unsaid, so as to stimulate the reader into wanting more. Excellent first chapter!
jadedlily1478 chapter 6 . 8/10/2005
reading this at freaking 2:30 in the morning and expecting a happy ending sucks...just to let you know. It was beautifully written. You portrayal of both Jess and Rory is great. I just wish someone on the show had the guts enough to write something similar to this. It was great!
Ferret Love chapter 6 . 7/12/2005