Reviews for Drowned in Fire
Confused Pumpkin chapter 1 . 8/28/2011
Oh my gosh, I'm not even sure what to say. I feel like crying (but maybe that's because I dearly love Maedhros). Even though he himself seemed detached and unemotional at the end, the piece itself is filled with feeling.

Sorry, I'm not a very good reviewer.

The idea that Maedhros was actually quite sane when he threw himself into the chasm, and not in a fit of madness, really makes the ending of The Silmarillion even more tragic. To me, it's kind of like he was trying to accept that it was his responsibility to embrace death after all that he did during his life. And I like how he held onto the Silmaril without flinching and didn't tell Maglor that it would burn. It was a brilliant idea for the chasm that split Himring to also split apart the brothers. As for Maglor, I feel just as bad for him. It's like he wasn't sure what to do; the stepping away from his brother wasn't exactly a conscious choice. The part where he pleaded "Russandol...please" was so heartbreakingly poignant. Much love!

The last line - perfect. It ended at just the right moment. Definitely a fave.
RavenLady chapter 1 . 6/25/2005
Ouch, this hurts.

Okay, a nitpick, and then the rest of the review.

I'm not sure why you used ellipses outside of dialogue. It slow things down too much, in my opinion. Otherwise, fantastic work.

This is gripping, and beautiful in a brutal sort of way. I love the tragic irony of the chasm being where Himring was once. I liked how Maedhros tries not to give anything away when he first feels the Silmaril burning. And that Maglor "took one step back – and then another." It's like his decision to live isn't entirely conscious, which makes sense, under the circumstances.

The last line is perfect. You've taken a topic that could easily lead to cheesiness and done something wonderful with it. It's nice to see something so original done with a popular subject.
Evenstar Elanor chapter 1 . 1/7/2005
"as Aule’s fire reclaimed what Noldor craft had wrought." In the end, the Valar will reclaim all that we Children have done. Good interaction between the two brothers, and description of the ruins that are left after all the massacre. Poor Maglor...
lipstick chapter 1 . 7/12/2004
I'm with Nol, this deserves wholly inapropriate smileys. Wonderfully controlled, very affecting and not a trace of melodrama. Very smart writing. It is also good to see Mae with all his marbles intact at the fiery chasm. I've always been of the oppinion the elf knew what he was doing right up until the end.

This is a great Maedhros and Maglor fic and I very much enjoyed reading it.
Elfique chapter 1 . 5/18/2004
Maglor and Maedhros are my favourites out of all the sons and this fic definately did them justice (in my opinion anyways) I love the way you made Maglor say 'Russandol' to try and stop Maedhros :)
Nol chapter 1 . 5/16/2004
Can a story ever be called flawless? Perhaps, one thinks, it is possible. :) Argh. SMiley faces are highly inappropriate in review for a story like this, where so much is said and *shown* in so few words. Understated and harsh and gloriously introspective - Maedhros is the story, the story is Maedhros. This is one for my favourites list. I love it, it's brilliant, thank you.
Vana Tuivana chapter 1 . 5/16/2004
Wonderful and heartbreaking. I love the end of the Fëanorian brood. It's just such a gripping and tragic tale, and your story has truly done it justice. Well done.
CGR chapter 1 . 5/16/2004
This is a stunning interpretation of Maedhros' end. He never struck me as a man prone to emotional decisions. Accepting death as a consequence of one's actions is much more tragic than hruling oneself into an abyss in a fit of madness.
Great story!