Reviews for House of Dust and Memory
Prince Lutin chapter 1 . 2/20/2013
Nice to see some interaction between Indis and Nerdanel. I can only imagine the pain that the two must have felt. Both of them would have to go on for millennia without their husbands. I always wondered if Indis felt guilty about marrying Finwe or if she ever blamed herself for all of her family's problems.
Lindale chapter 1 . 1/9/2008
Beautiful. Very well written and moving. I love the idea of Nernadel and Indis meeting becasue of their fates because of their Sons and Husbands leaving or being killed.
RavenLady chapter 1 . 4/28/2005
I've wondered about a conversation between Nerdanel and Indis, actually. Thank you for writing it so beautifully. Poignant and moving.
Sphinx chapter 1 . 7/23/2004
What a beautiful story. And I can only apologize that I did not review before. You bring Indis to life. Anybody would be lucky to have this for a birthday present.
Red Handed Jane chapter 1 . 6/10/2004
This was great. I love your Nerdanel, something about her. Whatever it was she was awesome.
A. Meril chapter 1 . 5/22/2004
What a lovely piece!
Your characterization of Nerdanel and Indis is wonderful: so half-guilty, and isolated. I love Nerdanel's bluntness especially; it is very fitting for her.
Again, very excellent job!
Elfique chapter 1 . 5/21/2004
i like the way you describe both of them...especially Nerdanel being metal to mould. very sad. *thumbs up*
Lady Eve chapter 1 . 5/19/2004
I loved this so much, the emotions you placed in this fic is incredible. I applaud your skill in writing.
Tehta chapter 1 . 5/18/2004
This was lovely. Subtle, yet gripping, and wise. Favourite bits: the insights into Indis' children, that first description of Nerdanel, Indis returning to childhood, and Nerdanel's painful honesty towards the end.
Finch chapter 1 . 5/18/2004
Good story, with imagery that lingers, a moving portrayal of two abandoned women, and a hopeful ending. At first, it's surprising that it is Nerdanel who breaks down, but then you realise that she had to, at some point, and that this is precisely what Indis needs to be strong. Well done.
Nol chapter 1 . 5/16/2004
Thank you, firstly, for answering some questions I have always had in mind, in such a wonderful, poignant way. Yes, this is plausible, and more: it ought to have happened. When the men had finished making their mistakes, and paying for them: what did the women who loved them do? This is one of the best sketches of Indis I have ever seen in fanfic: childlike, yet womanly, grieving, dangerously on the edge, but still hopeful. How Vanyar. And Nerdanel. Bitter and angry and mourning - of course, who would expect her to be proper about it?
Suffice to say, thank you so very much for writing this. I loved it, it's absolutely wonderful.
jilian baade chapter 1 . 5/16/2004
Odd, yet I can see this happening. Both have lost their husbands and children, and both believe they will see neither again before the End of Arda. I see the beginnings of a great friendship between these two women.
Evenstar Elanor chapter 1 . 5/16/2004
aww... okay this is so good that it is hard to poitn out what i liked the most. just the title "House of Dust and Memory" really hits you, (House of Sand and Fog?) the opening paragraph is VERY strong, which is good, as it brings in the readers' interest. i love "Now that woman is only a memory, one of the many in this house, collecting like the dust on the furniture." which explains the title. i love how, though Indis & Nerdanel are so different, one a soft, loving mother, while the other, made of steel, they can relate to each other. i love how u described Nerdanel, "the promise of metal to shape; yet Nerdanel had not been so easily molded." this is 1 of the besti 've read