Reviews for Lovely, For A While
DZAuthor AKA DZMom chapter 1 . 7/17/2011
Thank you for sharing your personal story, too. I think the mental a use is much like what Hermione observed in the mirror: it is all there, even though nobody else can see it.

I'm not as far along in my journey as you are. It's not lovely. It might have been at one time. Now it is difficult. It is mentally exhausting to have to reframe every comment, to deny the hurtful lie of worthlessness. It's all the more complicated by personalities and cultures that perhaps don't fit quite like the promised bliss. Again, thank you for writing.
mudpuddledemon chapter 1 . 6/13/2010
Lovely fic. I like the imaginings of a follow-up chapter. Thank you.
Nore chapter 1 . 12/15/2004
Terrible... and so true. Sure Snape could be so I suppose... I hope not!

Your style of writing is so good...
Cassiopeia chapter 1 . 7/6/2004
This is a beautiful little story. It's heartwrenching. I like your Hermione-especially at the end of the chapter.
sureynot chapter 1 . 7/5/2004
wow that really messed with my brain but i swear the moment i saw hermoine snape i almost stopped reading but that i thot that would be totally prejudicial (i think i spelled that rite) newayz... i thot hey this is great writing so im gonna keep reading and try hard not to judge it be4 i read the rest but i just dont like snape sorry
textualsphinx chapter 1 . 6/29/2004
Regardless of the truthfulness here in realition to your reality rather than the books, I'm not sure I can imagine Snape as taking his bullying that far. I could see Snape being mentally cruel, but not the type of physically violent male you picture here - he'd have his rules and stick to them, I think - and one of them would probably be not mirroring his father. True he shakes Harry after the pensieve incident and throws a jar at him - but I'm not certain he'd do that to a partner.
Kestrel chapter 1 . 5/30/2004
I would like to say thank you, for writing this story... It was wonderfully written, but tht's not why I want to say thank you.

I... I broke up with my boyfriend three days ago. We were, like you and your expartner, emotionally and mentally abusive to each other. It was lovely.. For a while.

I have been horribly depressed for weeks.. I went searching for R rated tragedies hopeing to find some nice suicide fics, and I found this instead. It was very good for me, I think.. No matter how much it hurts to be hit with reality.

It's good to know that there are other people out there who have been through things like what I have just been through. I wanted to say thank you, for writing this.. It reminds me that I'm not the only one, and recovering is not as hopeless as it seems.

Thank you so much.

~Kestrel
J.S. Sumner chapter 1 . 5/22/2004
You took a big risk delving into the not-so-charming side of Snape... and did a brilliant job with it! Every woman wants to believe that they can change a man, bring out the goodness and love-but you can never change somebody who is prone to this type of behavior. You were very accurate with the gradual increase in incidents and excuses that accompany abuse. And perhaps you are right, maybe deep down Snape is really just as nasty as his outer persona portrays. Aside from the masterful content, your writing was fantastic, very enjoyable to read. I hope to read more from you.
-Janette
P.D. Ellus chapter 1 . 5/20/2004
This was very good, very real. Although I don't think Snape would be abusive to that extent. Yes the Snape JKR writes is probably even uncapable of love, but I don't think he would do that.
But I think you were very accurate on how an abusive relationship works and it's unfortunately a reality for many people. Great work!
ShagsTheDustmop chapter 1 . 5/20/2004
So realistic it's frightening. While I am lucky never to have been in that type of relationship, your portrayal jives well with what I have read. I'm glad your Hermione gathered the courage to leave while she could.
Also, very well written. I found the repetitive use of 'And for a while, it was lovely" almost poetic and very effective. Nicely done.
Azazello chapter 1 . 5/20/2004
An excellent depiction of the creeping reality of abuse in a relationship. Written without standing in melodramatic judgement of either party, and with humanity. Very well done indeed.
bevfan chapter 1 . 5/20/2004
This was very good, a change of pace, but completely believable. Snape is a bully, I could see something like this happening. It also starts out little by little until Hermione is in over her head without realizing it. Nice sentences:
" And when she looked in the mirror, she realised that ever healed cut, every neatly vanished bruise was really still there. She was able to see how mangled she had become, at the hands of the man who claimed to love her."
Will you be continuing? You could end it right here, but I would like to see what happens.
shiv5468 chapter 1 . 5/20/2004
I thought it was a realistic portrayal of what Snape could be like. Canon Snape has never had much kindness in his life, it seems to me to be perfectly possible that he could be abusive. I prefer to write him another way, but it doesn't mean that this doesn't ring true.
And I certainly approve of the way Hermione left.
Run Wild chapter 1 . 5/20/2004
Now that makes a change from all the titillating bodice rippers about the place! This is a refreshing as well as challenging take on the SS/HG storyline. Well done – I love it!
Lora Tempesta chapter 1 . 5/19/2004
Wow. This struck me as very powerful. It's quite excellent piece of writing, you certaintly have talent. Is there going to be more, or is this a one shot? If it isn't going to continue, it is still good, and I like it.