Reviews for Spinning out of control
VampiressOfZaksDreams chapter 22 . 8/6/2013
Great story!
Instant Classic Superstar Pac chapter 22 . 5/19/2013
Freakin' beautiful! Obviously, after nine years the whole trilogy thing hasn't really panned out at all. But I'm not complaining. This is a perfect place to end the story as it is. Kinda-sorta language barrier aside, which wasn't that big a deal, as I was able to rearrange especially the spoken lines in my mind as I read them into a way closer to how they would've actually been said, the whole way you crafted this was excellent.

You unapologetically addressed the whole matter of the Charmed Ones' moral myopia, which, starting with how they treated Cole, had become an intense problem for awhile on the actual show. Not only did you have them get called out on it multiple times, but to an extent they learned their lesson as well and at the very least have been willing to make peace with Cole and Nicole. Of course, they couldn't completely get over what Cole was and everything he'd done, especially Paige, but again, you demonstrated that this is just as much a flaw of theirs as it is a reflection of Cole's bad past.

Speaking of which, at the same time you don't completely gloss over the flawed people that Cole and especially Nicole are. Why do I say especially Nicole? Sure, she doesn't have a long history with magic, let alone using it to be a heel. But then again, that's just it. Not to mention, she's your OC. You could've easily had Cole and the whole world kiss her ass to prove that he deserved to be with her, which, yes, would've been counter-productive considering the whole reason fics like this even exist involving Cole. But no; she has to prove herself to him just as much as he does to her, and they both have to go through the whole nine yards. The Charmed Ones' mistrust. The oh-so-enchanting politics involved with the Elders and the Underworld. And especially the rest of your OCs, the Lugels. (And by the way; excellent job creating the Lugels. The show itself visits the "beyond good and evil" plotline when those Avatars that talked to Cole in season 5 made their goals clearer in season 7, but had they had an even bigger role on the show, it's no question I'd prefer the Lugels in their position. Or at least I'd hope they could be given the depth you gave the Lugels. Speaking of which…)

Another really cool thing I think you did here, was the way you had the two sides of "good" and "evil" portrayed as really not being so clearly defined as once believed. Considering the generally black and white nature of the good vs. evil struggle on the actual show, this could've easily fallen flat on its face. But you were able to keep the Underworld darker than the mortal plane, the Magical Community, as well as Up There, while also not shying away from the point that even the most powerful of demons can feel good things, even the Charmed Ones can screw up terribly and deserve to be called out on it when they do just like anyone else, and even the Elders can be driven to terrible acts of repression and control. You had to stretch characters and conventions at times to get it done, but you were able to keep them generally within whatever established bounds the show gave, basically.

The show didn't exactly avoid calling out the Elders, but only in the way that they obstructed the Charmed Ones' personal lives. Having them know not only of Cole's possession as opposed to a willing choice to become the Source, but also of Cole and Phoebe's baby not truly belonging to the Source-still not sure I'm convinced by the explanation on that one, though, considering the powers that baby was manifesting inside her, but I'm willing to go with it for the sake of the story-and also having some of them immediately start to judge Henric as a traitor for encouraging some VERY GOOD THINGS just because said good things didn't involve being militantly out to kick demon ass, made their punishment at the hands of the Titans seem like well-deserved karma, but again, without stretching them too far out of character. And at least in the Brad Kern years of Charmed, the only times anybody called out the sisters for some of the crap they pulled was when that somebody was already out to kill at least one Halliwell or another anyway.

(Right now I'm pretty sick of ham-fisted protagonist-centered morality as it is, because it feels like incomplete heroes are being put in front of me and I'm being told to glorify them as saints or god-people even if they have a habit of acting more like devils at times. It's the main reason why as a wrestling fan I've come to hate John Cena, who I used to be a big fan of years ago. So a story with these shades of grey, using the theme of "the Charmed Ones screwed up majorly with Cole" to bring more attention to people's conduct than their genetics and powers to determine the true depths of good and evil and really just showing a bunch of flawed people anywhere you look, makes me smile inside. Before this I never would've thought I'd be willing to read a 40-chapter fanfic saga in a 24-hour timespan. But I digress.)

My only real "complaint", if it can even be called that, would be two of the names that you chose. Number one, Cole and Nicole. It's funny because their names are so similar. I still feel kinda weird about that. Number two, Elizabeth Turner's demon name being Belthora, not to mention the whole Belthor clan thing. I get the idea. Similar names between members of certain groups is something done in fiction pretty much all the time. But without enough variation, it can come off a bit cheesy and/or uninspired.

On a side note, part of me wishes that you could've included Kyra, the seer Charisma Carpenter played in season 7, in this somehow, because she represents a lot of what Cole does as well-her lack of history with killing aside, anyway, but I think that could actually be used to help-and she definitely would've fit the themes of the story. But obviously she hadn't been created yet, and I'm pretty sure you don't have the power to see into the future, so I definitely can't complain about you not having her in there. But if you were ever to write a third installment to this gold, even if just a one-shot or a 2-to-5-chapter collection of drabbles from their lives or whatever, I think Kyra and Drake de Mon, another season 7 "good demon" character, would both fit very well as part of Elizabeth's high council, or even as friends of Cole and Nicole.

Overall, though? Great, beautiful, outstanding job with these two stories. "When your life takes a turn" and "Spinning out of control" are definitely a must read for any Cole Turner fan who sees that there's more to his character than Phoebe Halliwell. Don't know when you'll get the chance to see this review, or if you even care about Charmed anymore, but Alina Larin, this was awesome. And I salute you.

Take care.
wizmage chapter 21 . 8/12/2010
I like this story. It was very well done.
pheobep3 chapter 22 . 12/25/2009
I appulade story and the squeal are beautiful,and the last few chapters almost brought me to tears. You have done a very well done job,and I can not wait to read your future works.
Sailor Pandabear chapter 22 . 4/20/2009
very good. continue!
Joleca chapter 22 . 5/25/2008
Stumbled across your stories a couple of days ago searching for Cole stories I've never read.. Have to say once I started "When Your Life Takes a Turn", couldn't stop reading and just finished this story, its sequel "Spinning out of Control" and have to say they're some of the best I've ever read..

You mentioned at the time you did have some ideas for a sequel and if you still remember them, this story is definitely begging for one! Please please consider continuing Cole and Nicole's story..

and thank you for a wonderful experience in reading them.
Dcrawford84 chapter 1 . 9/20/2005
Are you ever going to write anymore stories?
Dcrawford84 chapter 22 . 11/29/2004
I think there should be a sequel to "spinning out of control" because I think there is more story to tell.
Coles Guardian chapter 22 . 11/20/2004
Oh yes please continue your stories! I would just love to see Cole being daddy Cole. Nicole would probably have a lot of fun just sitting back and watching her family play :-)

I can't help but hope that the Charmed Ones end up having to pay off a bit more of their bad karma. Paige really needs to get over herself and Piper needs to get her nose out of the air and hopefully Phoebe will finally move on. And poor Leo, after what Piper said about why she didn't ever really feel safe around Cole... what will happen when he finally tells her what he has done... and of course what will happen if he tells them about the Titans and Phoebe finds out the full truth?

Oh yes please continue... more Cole and Nicole please! And their little ones please!
Gwen Truong chapter 22 . 11/17/2004
great story. I always love your creation. Please write more. Thank you very much.
Tzarista chapter 22 . 11/16/2004
this story was great ... hopefully you will write a sequel to this
L.E. Jones1 chapter 22 . 11/16/2004
Great story! Well done! I'm looking forward to a sequel - perhaps set around a year from now?
Tzarista chapter 21 . 11/11/2004
yay great chapter can't wait for more

he's back :)
Tzarista chapter 20 . 11/4/2004
great chapter

can't wait for more

clever
Gwen Truong chapter 20 . 11/3/2004
I adore Nicole and Phoebe's doing the best thing in all her life. Continue soon please. Your story is intriguing as always.