Reviews for Passing Regrets
Elwen chapter 1 . 8/11/2004
As a maiden aunt myself I could feel and hear every thought in Bilbo's head. You brought a tear to my eyes. Thankyou for a truly lovely tale.
Henna Gamgee chapter 1 . 8/10/2004
This is a jewel among fics! I savoured every sentence; beautiful idea and beautiful writing. This is a perfect first meeting for Bilbo and Frodo, and I'm going to imagine from now on that it happened exactly this way! :)
lovethosehobbits chapter 1 . 5/28/2004
This was totally enchanting. I have missed reading your fics so much, and this was a true gem. Thanks so much for sharing with us. tree
Regina L chapter 1 . 5/27/2004
A lovely view of Bilbo's first encounter with Frodo. You've done a fine job of not drenching everything in sugar, & have delicately rendered Bilbo's emotions, which for me (as a childless person with many young cousins), struck me as being very realistic & true to life. I also enjoyed your warm & down to earth portrayal of Drogo & Primula. Excellent! This is going onto my favorites list.
endymion2 chapter 1 . 5/27/2004
I was at first hesitant to read this, fearing one of these sweet baby-stories I despise so much. But you did something entirely different, almost magical! We’ll never know how Tolkien supposed Frodo to have been as a child ( if he ever thought about it), but this interpretation is wonderful. Movie Frodo’s outer appearance will stay with us forever, LOL

Yet this one sentence you wrote...“he realized then that if he could have been assured of having a son as bright and singular as this one, he might very well have reconsidered his course“...made me feel a bit uneasy. Though I know taht you didn’t mean to express such a thing...parents actually do try to design their child or press him into manners/behavior/things that are not him. None of my four children has turned out the way I would have dremed them, but it’s good that nature is still running its course
Ancalime8301 chapter 1 . 5/27/2004
Aw... :) What a sweet scene! Your little Frodo is just adorable, and I can completely see why Bilbo would react the way he does in spite of not being extremely fond of small children, since I'm pretty much of the same mind, but I even wanted to snuggle the cute little tyke.

"The appeal of a sweet face had generally been offset for him by the expectation that it was covered with something sticky." ROTFL! Indeed. ;)

This strikes me as bittersweet in addition to being cute, since Frodo does end up being Bilbo's child in a way... and a situation such as this makes Bilbo's decision to adopt Frodo that much more believable.
Trust No One chapter 1 . 5/26/2004
A lovely story. And I would never accuse you of doing 'cute'.'He had never regretted his decision, but as he gazed at that beautiful, quiet child, he wondered for the first time in his life what he might have missed.' And Frodo is just the way I would imagine him as a small child. You made me broody, are you happy now lol? Thank you!
lindahoyland chapter 1 . 5/26/2004
Beautiful descriptions,a delightful and well written story.
Skye12 chapter 1 . 5/26/2004
This is an absolutely charming fic. I rarely read anything about Frodo, taking place when he is very young. I noted when Primula mentioned he still breast-fed that, yes hobbits most likely do develope slower than humans. Your attention to detail is lovely and your descriptions are wonderfully inventive. I loved the metaphor of his eyelashes like penstrokes. You truly have an imagination. You don't use the trite and cliched literary devices like most do. Frodo was such a sweet babe. ::chuckle:: I believe you sparked my maternal instincts my dear. A lovely fic.

Kal

P.S. I have heard quotes from "Tolkien's Notes" many times but have yet to find them myself. Do you know where they might be available?
Ami chapter 1 . 5/26/2004
Oh, this is so precious! Sorry, I don't have anything more elequent to say.
Ami
Aratlithiel1 chapter 1 . 5/26/2004
You know, I have no time to read the things that have piled up on my hard drive but I absolutely HAD to sit myself down and re-read this little gem. I adore this fic. Bilbo has such lovely depth and great self-awareness and little Frodo is exactly as one might expect. This was just so good and warm and almost but not quite sad and... Have I said I love this fic.? Gah!