Reviews for A Testing of Faith
JohnK chapter 1 . 6/23/2015
interesting story - i like the implication that the Lion of Gwynedd brooch came via this sister. I fail to remember what the books and Codex say about it.
In the last 8 years has this story been continued ?
Best wishes
Kristy chapter 1 . 5/29/2010
Wow! I really, really liked that. I, too, am affected by reading the Passion; such a horrific tale. I usually forget about the "his crimes be on us and our children" part. I generally don't blame the Jews (after all, Jesus himself was one) myself. I can also see how Christians might be considered children of the Jews, since our faith sort of grew out of theirs.

This story really made me think! Plus, more Alaric is never a bad thing.
Nyx Ro chapter 1 . 8/8/2006
Very good story! You remember that Alaric is the product of a Medieval culture, with all the baggage that entails.
Natasha chapter 1 . 2/16/2006
I love it. Your stories would fit right in with Katherine Kurtz's own. Good job!
kitsunealyc chapter 1 . 2/12/2006
This was very well-done. You have a good grasp of Kurtz's voice and cadence. An earlier reviewer mentioned having difficulty with the portrayal of anti-semitism, given that this is relatively minor in the universe, but I think that you've done a good job of showing that the level was situational (tied to the passions raised on Good Friday) rather than constant.

Something I did find jarring was Morgan's casual mysogyny . Granted, the majority of Kurtz's main characters are male, but I've never found them to be dismissive of the female characters in the books (in terms of females having a "place"). Protective, maybe, but I have difficulty accepting that Morgan would view/treat Richenda as basically a broodmare, even in the heat and confusion of his own mixed emotions.

Other than that, this was wonderfully portrayed, and very much in keeping with a situation I could see Morgan being faced with. Thanks!
Silence In Mirkwood chapter 1 . 12/25/2005
Wonderful! There is so little good Katherine Kurtz fanwork out there, and it is nice to see something with a potentially canon plotline! Keep up the good work! I should be posting my own Deryni story soon, so watch for it.
Lady Razorsharp chapter 1 . 11/16/2005
Very well written, indeed. Bravo.
Sabrina chapter 1 . 2/24/2005
It's very interesting how little humans change over the centuries, given the furor over Gibson's movie. You've highlighted the issue while keeping both Morgan and Richenda completely in canon.
Lady Berenice chapter 1 . 8/30/2004
Very nice...I like your deft touch with characterisation, and your obviously well-researched piece. However, I was a little surprised at your Morgan - I've always seen him as a person who didn't seem to have very much of an issue when it came to people of different faiths, someone who was rather pragmatic and practical about the whole business and believed rather more strongly in honour and justice rather than religious feeling.

In one of the short stories in 'Deryni Archives', he takes even more risks than he has here to save a man not of his own faith from certain death - and that man, from my recollection, wasn't a member of one of the three major monothesic relgions in our world, but something that sounded Norse-inspired. The man had been accused of rape and was actually on trial for his life, and Morgan sort of appeared and proceeded to get to the bottom of the matter. In light of that, I wouldn't think that Morgan would suffer so much angst about whether or not to intervene, particlarly when there appears to be an elderly man and a woman involved. Besides, I think that KK has already said that there wasn't much in the way of dramatic Jewish-Christian tension in the Eleven Kingdoms because the Deryni took the brunt of the whole persecution-thing.