Reviews for A Last Reckoning
b3cks chapter 1 . 8/19/2012
I almost cried when I read Auta i lomë! Wonderful concept.
Killingmemory chapter 1 . 2/29/2012
Very well done. You really captured Gil-galad for me, in this one. I can tell that you put a lot of thought and careful effort into your writing. Thanks for sharing.
HaloFin17 chapter 1 . 1/30/2007
Wow, that was deep! So angsty and poignant, it was great! I love Gil-galad, and it was awesome how you connected his sacrifice with those of his fathers. Fantastic job!

Rhys chapter 1 . 11/7/2004
Ooh, that was cool. Interesting insight onto the Last Alliance, fighting beyond hope-very intriguing! I quite liked your take on Gil-galad, and the tragedy that surrounded him. The "now I think my despair is strong enough" line was shivering, especially, although the entire fic struck a chord of despair that does not give up. The poem was wonderfully fitting. The way you brought Gil-galad through despair to the point where despair no longer matters was excellently done. Such a bright, brave, depressing, hopeful fic; the way you blended the emotions was perfect. Excellent, grittily realistic and yet still mythical fic.
Itarille chapter 1 . 5/30/2004
This was absolutely gorgeous. It's a very good portrait of war... it just feels so right. I particularly love the last paragraph; it just brings it all together beautifully.
erunyauve chapter 1 . 5/30/2004
You draw an interesting correlation between Fingolfin, Fingon and Gil-galad. I don't know that nihilism is the right description, however. There is, after all, the doom hanging over Fingon's head, and Gil-galad is its inheritor. For Fingon (and before him, Fingolfin) to accept the futility of the war with Morgoth is really a renewal of belief in the Valar and their foresight. Likewise, Gil-galad is only accepting what Mandos told his father and grandfather - that the elves will fade and give way to men. Valor replaces hope for both son and father - I particularly liked the words, 'a little more space within the circle of light against the darkness'. This is really all that Gil-galad achieves, and that, only with Isildur's aid.
Nerdanel chapter 1 . 5/30/2004
An absolutely beautiful story once again. I marvel at your talent to write war so wonderfully; glorious and melancholic at the same time, hopeful and hopeless. The line of Fingolfin certainly was a fated one, and you have managed to portray all of them even though the story focuses around Gil-galad. Brilliant.