Reviews for For Love of Mithril
maglors harp chapter 1 . 4/30/2014
I love the way you began this story. The interactions between Celebrimbor and Gil-galad are wonderful. Witty, yet elegant. Clearly, you put a lot of thought into this, and it paid off.

Oshun chapter 20 . 2/23/2014
This is a heavy chapter and very well done. I think it is a powerful ending and you capture nuances of Gil-galad here that ring very true for me.
Ellfine chapter 19 . 7/4/2013
What a horrible experience these realizations must have been fof Celebrimbor. You capture this (and him, pun intended) quite well.
prenses556 chapter 18 . 6/23/2013
That is brilliant. Are you planning to write another chapter, or will you leave it there ?
AC2 chapter 18 . 8/26/2007
As the story moves towards its conclusion, the players are caught up in their roles like puppets on strings, unable to escape their inevitable fate. You have drawn this so clearly that we can almost see the events unfolding before us. The regret that Celebrimbor feels, and its associated guilt and shame have divided him from his lover to such a degree that he feels uncomfortable with intimacy. This richly-textured work deserves the highest praise.
AC2 chapter 17 . 8/5/2007
Excellent! I could feel my own stomach drop with Gil-galad's, as he realised that Celebrimbor had basically (unintentionally) sold them all down the river for the sake of an illusion.

Beautifully written - you deserve your place on Maiafay's "polished" C2.
AC2 chapter 16 . 4/28/2007
Excellent chapter, drawing the tragedy towards its conclusion, and in the process explaining the motivations of the characters for choosing their actions. Have noticed those changes - they have made the story much more subtle in its treatment of the physical aspects of the lovers' relationship. This enables the reader to take this aspect of the story as seriously as the canon lore you have employed. The result is that this is a canon-based story about two canon characters who are lovers - this drives the plot without distracting us from the canon elements. A finely balanced work. Can't wait for more.
AC2 chapter 15 . 3/25/2007
Now that I have read this story to the last chapter so far, I can judge it on its merits.

The writing is as beautiful as any of Celbrimbor's baubles. There are some passages that took my breath away and made me pray to be able to write like that.

The internal logic is perfectly realised as Gil-Galad wrestles with his sexuality and the realities of his position as a king without an heir. Celebrimbor's angst is well-rendered as he deals with the implications of his relationship with Gil-Galad. They are kin and he is a Kinslayer. His guilt and shame are perfectly enunciated, every nuance of his issues has been cleverly exposed and explored.

The only faults I have found with this tale are minor grammatical and spelling errors - I haven't listed them all, but then I don't think they're all that important. They don't spoil the story by remaining.

It's intriguing to me that you have been able to drift ever so slightly off canon yet stay close enough to it that only obsessives like me can notice it. If memory serves, Celebrimbor had a major crush on Galadriel. If it was Celebrian who gave the Elessar to Arwen, it stands to reason that Celebrian must have received it from Galadriel. Therefore it is reasonable to assume that Galadriel received it from Celebrimbor. Of course, to make a slash relationship with Gil-Galad, that fact needs to be ignored. I don't think it's a major issue - it's hard enough to write a canonical story when we often have to work with conflicting bits of information. What intrigues me is how you you have managed to get the ship back to the shore, if you know what I mean. Specifically, you have used the deviant strands as the lynchpins of your story, and that is what makes it so clever.

I'm not sure why you "allowed" Annatar entry to the city - no doubt it was to allow a sort of "violation" of the king, a kind of infidelity to bring tension to his relationship with his lover. Again, the deviation enriches the story. I'm not sure I could do that.

I don't like slash, but I do like this. I doubt that I'll ever be converted, but quality writing like this cannot be dismissed just because I don't like the genre.
AC2 chapter 10 . 3/25/2007
"Art, after all, is the making of illusion - the rendering of a likeness that tricks the eye into belief."

Beautiful writing, such beautiful prose. Such a pleasure to read.
Oshun chapter 1 . 2/18/2007
Wonderful first chapter. Cannot believe I'm just reading it. "As you have discovered, the design shows the interlocking devices of Finwë, the three Houses of the Noldor and our late King's own device. Gil-galad dearly wished to make peace between the Houses." Brought tears to my eyes before I even read the next line and I am a hard one to do that to.
Tarion Anarore chapter 10 . 9/29/2006
I just wanted to let you know that I am enjoying this story very much! Seeing that a new chapter is up is always a pleasure.
Erestor chapter 9 . 8/20/2006
Again, a wonderful chapter. I greatly admire your talent for describing small, intimate situations. An update for this story is always a joy.

Erestor (lousiest feedback giver on any side of the Bruinen)
Nol chapter 6 . 8/27/2004
Wow. Beautiful work again, subtle and beautifully clear all the same. I admire your style greatly - so beautifully tempered and elegant all at once. And the trouble you take with canon as regards language, time and location all add depth and superb atmosphere. I'm in love with the love story, too - have been since you began writing it. Gil-galad/Celebrimbor 4eva!

And also - OMG they kissed they kissed they kissed! Sque!

:) Hope too see an update soon!
erunyauve chapter 6 . 8/24/2004

I wish people would write more Celebrimbor, too! If you're looking for some good ones, Finch's 'Strange Harmonies' has some Celebrimbor (you can find Finch from my Favorite Author's list). Honesty has written a couple of excellent Celebrimbor fics - 'Warg Hunt' is on my Favorite Stories list. You can follow that to 'Bargaining for Beginners', which comes before 'Warg Hunt'. The latter isn't finished (and probably won't be, since the author seems to have left the fandom), but it's still worth a read.
nickie chapter 6 . 8/23/2004
I love this story. The writing is clear, descriptive, and very engaging. No mistakes (as far as I could tell) in grammar or spelling. I'm not so good with dates and times so I wouldn't know anything in that field.

Very interesting pairing as well. I would've never thought of Gil-Galad and Celebrimbor. But it's hot. :p Celebrimbor is my favorite character in the whole Tolkien world. It makes me sad that not a lot of people write about him.

So thank Eru for your lovely fic. Update soon you know I'll be waiting!