Reviews for The Terror of Buckland
Erroneously chapter 5 . 12/8/2009
I really enjoyed this tale, especially the way you portray Esmeralda.
Lindelea1 not signed in chapter 5 . 8/19/2004
Breathtaking. Your breadth of description and depth of feeling shines through every carefully-placed word.

I had tears in my eyes when I reached the end of the story. Believe me, that doesn't happen every day.

illyria-pffyffin chapter 1 . 8/11/2004
I can identify with the emotions portrayed in this fic, so splendidly you portray them. I enjoy this first chapter and am on my way to the second.
Budgielover chapter 5 . 8/1/2004
Inkling, I cannot tell you how impressed I was by this story. I so enjoyed seeing Frodo's mindset at Brandy Hall, and the explanations for the loneliness and alienation he felt - so often it is just stated and never explained. The family interaction between the hobbits was wonderful. I read your description of Frodo's desire to go to the fair (when he had to be dragged in previous years) aloud to my family - what a perfect description of teenaged boys! What I might have enjoyed most (there are so many things it is difficult to say) were the references to classical mythology. Your description of Frodo and the bull was a beautiful rendering of the worship of the Grecian Bull-cult that the Romans adopted. And the antlered crown! So many fascinating references! Yet throughout this absorbing story the hobbits and their society ring true. (I personnaly would have liked to see less use of "boys" unless in conversational dialog, and the one "woman" threw me for a second. Very, very minor nit-pick in a wonderful story.) The episode with the grapes was hysterical. And using Merry as Frodo's saving grace - how lovely. You even managed to imbibe little Merry with personality - not an easy thing to do with a baby. This is an outstanding piece of fiction and one that I will keep in my "Favorites" file.
shirebound chapter 5 . 7/24/2004
I finally got a chance to read this wonderful, wonderful story, and I apologize for taking so long to discover it. You're such an excellent writer! I was so glad that the story ended on a hopeful, loving note.

I know exactly how it feels to have more ideas than time to write them, but I hope to see more from you very soon.
Ariel3 chapter 5 . 7/23/2004
Yes, indeed, very lovely! You saw the Gorbadoc dilemna, I see. I was in a bit of a bind with that too, but chose to follow the appendix just because I had a date to work with. Poor prof. probably never expected his minor characters to be examined with such scrutiny!

A lovely tale and a very entertaining read. After seeing this, I think you will enjoy 'Fear'. You've done your homework and your background and history, setting and detail of Buckland are very reminscent of my own. I felt very comfortable in your Buckland. Very good job and I hope we can see some more of your work.
Ariel3 chapter 3 . 7/23/2004
Just wonderful! These are the kinds of stories I like - well researched, good story telling, accurate canon and with the patina of real knowledge and accurate information. Wonderful! And your harvest festival! Oh, there is one of mine you must read sometime... HEHEHEH...

I am still working my way through the fic but I have been delighted with it so far. You are a master story teller and this is going on my recs list.
Camellia Gamgee-Took chapter 5 . 7/21/2004
Such a beautiful and wonderful story. I really do admire your talent.
Aratlithiel1 chapter 5 . 7/20/2004
Well, my dear - I had high hopes for this and you certainly did not disappoint me. This was a wonderful first contribution to the fandom and I can't thank you enough for sharing it. An excellent job of story-telling and an ending that is both rewarding to the reader and so very 'right.' I love that little Merry gives Frodo something to haol to and I love that Esme saw it within Frodo, though he couldn't see it within himself. Wonderfully done and I can't wait to see what other lovely things you have in store for the future.
Camellia Gamgee-Took chapter 1 . 7/20/2004
This is beautifully written - and the detail! You've certianly read the books, haven't you? :)
Elanor1013 chapter 5 . 7/11/2004
What a wonderful story. This is one of the most realistic and canon-esque stories about Frodo's youth after his parents died. I cried at the end too. Thank you so much for writing.
endymion2 chapter 5 . 7/5/2004
He's been pulled from the River but he's still drowning…

I’m so sad that this wonderful story is over, but you finished all loose strings so wonderfully, the stone circle, the wondrous stone, even the eagle is clearer to me now, the miscarriage...and you gave it a hopeful ending.

If anybody’s lacking talent among the fanfic writers it’s certainly not you! You have me eagerly waiting for your next story, hope RL will let you write many more! You must be busy with twins! I consider myself lucky, LOL, though twins run in my family, I have four single children, the youngest being the same age as your twins...and I’ll surely give Neskit a try!
tiggivon chapter 5 . 7/4/2004
oh i'm sad it's ended but it was a fantastic end and frodo found what he needed to be wanted.

it was brilliant how frodo realised that he was wanted and could be trusted. and the story was it's self a time to reflect.

please write another story i would love to read more. i really feel from your writing you have much more to give and i feel rivetted to the screen reading your story.

thankyou for writing so well.

CuriousCat chapter 1 . 7/3/2004
I love the ending. If Frodo didn't feel wanted, he could feel needed. To me, Frodo was always such a complex character. His personality seemed a constant contradiciton - weak but stong, afraid but courageous, etc. Sadly, I think people often see him as very one dimensional.

I do hope you have more story ideas. You have an engaging style, and I would love to read anything you might want to share.
Breon Briarwood chapter 5 . 7/2/2004
What do you mean, 'The End'? I want more, MORE I tell you! This was too good to end it here. Well, okay, maybe a sequel? I love your Frodo and his new purpose in life. He'll take great care of Merry, I think, as a way to deal with his grief over being the inadvertent cause of losing a sibling, now that he knows. Continue please? Pretty please with hobbits on top? :D