Reviews for Better Things
Stolas chapter 1 . 5/10/2009
I would like to make something very clear.

I love Hayao Miyazaki's films.

Princess Mononoke is a favorite of mine, especially with the way Ashitaka's journey for healing leads him to heal many others as well. Now, with relevance to this fic...

Kaya, in a little noticed detail of the film is not actually Ashitaka's blood sister. She is his betrothed.

He calls her "Little sister" as a sort of pet name since neither really saw the other as a future spouse. I think you already knew this since this scene does strongly seem to fit with that detail that sadly was mostly untouched in the English dub, which was still awesome by the way.

I appreciate how Miyazaki gives side characters a lot of background even if it isn't elaborated onscreen.

I don't appreciate how often the audience discards these characters once their roles are fulfilled.

This is a very cute, interesting look at an oft forgotten character.

I like long reviews!
Ealcynn chapter 1 . 8/18/2006
This is a really interesting fic! I loved the structure, based around her constant questioning of the past. A really interesting look at the story. Well done!
destroyerhive chapter 1 . 1/16/2005
cool. the internal conflict works very well- it has a poetic quality to it, and the halting nature of it helps emphasize the uncertainty.
mosiesk chapter 1 . 6/12/2004
very good, something different which you wouldn't really think about.
Houyoku chapter 1 . 6/6/2004
Lot's of denial Oo; But this is good, I never really thought about his sister throughout the movie.. but it was kinda cruel of Ashitaka to give San the only keepsake he had of the Emishi..and the fact that it had been a gift from his sister.. Oh well _ Good job! I like it