Reviews for Court Martial
shadowchild613 chapter 32 . 3/17
Oh God, my heart. This story hurt me so badly, and you did a phenomenal job of it. Ow. Fantastic writing, dear, thanks so much for this one. I think it was the closure we all needed after that arc.
Thank you for including this issue that was kind of glossed over in canon. Saw another comment back there. Women CAN rape. Just because it's female on male doesn't mean it isn't.
TiannaofNugyta chapter 32 . 12/31/2014
Ok, so I do not recommend finishing this right before trying to go to sleep. I'd been working on it all day and decided to finish it at three in the morning. Not smart on my part. It was awesome! All of your writing I've read so far has been phenomenal and this was no exception. I'm not very interested in law so there were many times while I was reading this that I thought 'why on earth am I still reading?' but I couldn't stop! The emotion was awesome and you described everyone's characters so well. I will never see John Stewart the same way again as well as the rest of the League (Batman and Superman excluded). The ending was so suspenseful. I was jumping all over my bed trying to read as fast as I could. I won't spoil what happens but it was awesome and terrible at the same time. Anyway, thanks for writing this. I really enjoyed it.
Puffie chapter 32 . 7/6/2014
I would like to thank you for writing this fanfic and I can say that honestly this is one of the the best Nightwing fanfics out there. You captured his character wonderfully and was able to portray his dark side without destroying his essence- which I believe his relationship with his family and friends. I myself was not satisfied by what happened in the comics as well.

I also love how you write Dick and Barbara, they're my favorite DC couple and they deserve better than what happened in canon.

Excellent work!
Flameraven chapter 32 . 5/14/2014
Read this whole thing in one sitting and I must is it is wonderfully written.

there where a few times in chapter "31" that had a bit of wall of text but besides that is was masterfully done.

I would love to see the fall out of this on a wider scale. With Nightwing "cleared" save for a "slap on the wrist" how is the general public going to take it? Sure they seem to be making up their minds with out even half the evidence but when has that ever stopped them?

I do find it odd the that two who have the most animosity towards Dick are John Stewart and Cpt. Adam, both Military Men. Though it does seem that John is attacking Dick so hard more for his own failings in his past then anything that Dick did or didn't do...

And I'm still trying to wrap my head around how the hell Cpt. Marvel decided that Dick was guilty of conduct unbecoming after Dr. Midnights findings. Wisdom of Solomon my ass.
nobodyimportant chapter 32 . 4/1/2014
that was the one of my favourite reads ever thank you
hesitantdancer chapter 32 . 3/28/2014
This story is wonderful, even reading it all these years after you wrote it. It is thought provoking and has a beautiful blend of both happy and sad moments. I really loved the line that referred to this being the cost of a human playing with gods. As a mere human, it really feels like Nightwing is being held up to impossible standards, but I suppose that is one of the challenges he faces. Incredibly written and a great read this story was really fun to read.
Estel-Undomiel25 chapter 32 . 1/14/2014
I read this all night even when I should've gone to bed. It was like 5am and I couldn't stop. I was so thankful for the people who stood by Dick, but I was seriously so angry with the rest of the League members when I was trying to go to bed. Like, I was legitimately upset. I also think that the League was being hypocritical in treating Dick worse than they would for their own wrongs, and that they didn't help him in Bludhaven or really acknowledge the losses he'd dealt with there. I liked what you had Amy thinking about "is this what Dick had to go through for being a human daring to stand among gods and superhumans." I think he and other non-supers in the League don't get enough credit for the work the put in and the fragility they go into every battle with. I also was hoping for a sequel? Only because this story was so great. League fallout, members who quit and cut ties with the League, them realizing how much they need Nightwing and Flash, etc., and then them being in a situation where they realize the hurt they've caused Dick and he has to rescue them all, still doing so despite risk to himself and how much they've hurt him. Maybe I'm wanting some retribution to the emotional turmoil they put him through. Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for this awesome story. I don't think I could ever muddle through court processes enough to write a story as well as you did. Keep up the awesome work and DFTBA :)
Guest chapter 32 . 1/5/2014
I couldn't stop thinking about this terrible, awesome story all day. I couldn't stop reading. You were really mean to John (he's my favorite Lantern) and Tarantula's belief that Dick actually loved her and everything was fine didn't come through as much as I'd hoped, but I loved Roy and Wally's interactions. Booster and Beetle loving each other, but not tolerating each other's stupidity. Babs handling pressure like a pro, but still being human. Tim's little fanboy about Beetle at the beginning. Brilliant job.
Danyellscreams chapter 32 . 11/20/2013
This was so well written I couldn't wait to see what happened next. You voicing of the characters and story telling was fantastic
Kwala chapter 32 . 11/4/2013
SO I have spent the entire day reading this and I have to say WELL DONE!

The beginning was a bit shaky and I was afraid that it was just going to keep going in a circle, but man you dug deep into the trial. i really thought you would convict him for a moment.

There were some awesome lines in this fic, but the speech Bruce gave Selina about why the trial got so out of hand and personal hit really hard. Because not not one person in the league turned themselves in when their hands did have blood on them and Dick never even had his finger on the trigger! That brought their integrity into play more than anything else.

I love loved loved that Captain Marvel was the judge. Not only did he honestly do a good job but showed that a child had to keep the adult heroes in check. there is so much to say on this...it was just flippin' poetic.

I do wish there was a bit more on Stewart's motivations on why he went after Nightwing so hard. I understood the morals but it got really nasty between him and everyone.

I do like that Nightwing got to beat Catalina's ass and Robin got a smack in. And that you didn't make Batman OC, like overly emotional or theatrical with Dick on trial. In private of course, but in the trial he stayed true. Same with Superman. i love that he had to be the one to hold Bats down.

Great Great story
DarknessOni13 chapter 32 . 11/4/2013
fuck, this was amazing. just the sheer amount of raw emotion you managed to convey with this story... ugh. it left me feeling bittersweet at the end - dissatisfied. yay, he was not-guilty, but damn, getting his League membership revoked? all the tension and emotion is still making me feel antsy.

loved how he just casually took off the shackles at the end, though.

seriously, this was damn well written - thanks for sharing this marvelous piece of work with the rest of us!
Neon Majestic chapter 32 . 9/24/2013
All right. I just finished reading this story, after spending a total of two days going through it following my discovery of it on the "recommended fanfics" list at the TV Tropes website. And I must admit, while I haven't actually read the canon comics where Nightwing turned himself and Tarantula in to the local authorities, this story gives a pretty good look at how the League would discipline one of their own who's been arrested for a crime as grievous as murder.

After reading this, I would have to say...the League, by and large, was being EXTREMELY hypocritical in its overall treatment of Nightwing. Although there were clearly persons who supported him (Batman and the Bat-family, for starters, plus the Titans), those who opposed him were willing to tear him down, betray confidences, and conveniently forget their own shortcomings and mistakes in an effort to pin "justice" onto him. I especially disliked Blue Beetle using Tim's confidence in him as a prosecutorial tool; I couldn't help but grin when Tim clocked him at the end of the questioning.

I also highly disliked Green Lantern here. I couldn't help but think of the DCAU's version of John Stewart, at least during the early seasons of Justice League, where I couldn't see him as anything other than a Grade-A jerk. Besides which, I would have liked it much better if more emphasis could have been placed on just WHY he was so determined to see Nightwing as guilty and only guilty, even if his own issues (the murder of his wife by Star Sapphire, his own blowing up of a planet due to negligence) were briefly touched on. As a result, I found it to be a letdown when he managed to get a punch in on Flash at the same time Flash was punching him in the hallway. And then, at the end of it all, no second-guessing from him or Blue Beetle about whether they truly did the right thing, instead sticking so firmly to their guns that Nightwing was innocent...if I could, I'd have strangled the both of them right there. I'm just amazed nobody else came to either of them at the end of the trial to physically abuse them.

I'm also disappointed that more members of the League didn't quit like Flash did. I was highly expecting Batman to throw down his League badge as well (assuming he's not invoking "part-timer" status here), or that Green Arrow didn't do more to call out the rest of the Tribunal for the fact that, y'know, many of them have killed (DIRECTLY) in the past and yet none of them have been treated like pariahs the way Dick was. And I was clearly disappointed that the Titans didn't just disown all contact with the League, considering what Dick was made to go through.

I'm wondering if Dick got the treatment that he got because, as in canon, he's considered the heart of the entire DCU. He's "Batman-lite," everything Batman was trained to be minus the grimness and plus an additional helping of friendliness and connection to people. But then, Barry Allen was considered one of the upstanding heroes of his time, as well, and yet he wasn't made to go through the hell Dick's been put through here, when he was forced to kill the Reverse-Flash (at least, not by the League). That the League would psychologically castrate Dick for being unable to do anything at a point when he was mentally broken is a slap in the face of the very word "justice," and if this story was canon, I can guarantee there's NO way certain individuals would ever want to join the League again or even have anything to do with them. I'm actually quite surprised Superman stayed on, as well, by the way.

I must say, I'm disappointed with how Wonder Woman and J'onn were portrayed...so detached and un-emotional, even if they were in the role of judges. Not helping the situation is the canonical moment when WW killed Maxwell Lord (for which she got plenty of heat) and the fact that J'onn has suffered loss of the same kind Blockbuster was threatening Dick with. I also wonder if it was a good idea to have Aquaman on the Tribunal; why would he care about legal issues in the surface world, after all? On the other hand, Green Arrow was the most balanced member of the Tribunal, and Captain Marvel - if you account for the fact that he's a boy in a man's body when in his superhero state - would naturally have a black-and-white view of justice, so at least he's in character here. That Ollie actually understands what Dick went through because he himself has been there, helped his characterization plenty.

I'm very glad Jack Ryder didn't get a lot of focus, because I found him to be extremely, EXTREMELY annoying, even for a reporter (and as a print journalist myself, I find him to be offensive). Journalism ethics and sensationalism aside, has he forgotten that he's the Creeper, himself a vigilante superhero? Or is this story somehow set in a world where Ryder isn't the Creeper?

And the argument made near the end of the story was a good one: everyone was chastising Dick and ready to condemn him to exile on a prison planet for what happened with Blockbuster, but where was the League when Blockbuster was making Dick's life hell? Where was the League when Blockbuster forced Dick to run the gauntlet, and then threatened his loved ones and acquaintances? Batman doesn't deserve to have to show any regret for not being there...it's the League who should be made to apologize. The general League is shown as a hypocritical, self-centered organization that NO real hero should ever be part of, if they want to keep their dignity. Shameless of them.

Maybe that's why the Dark Knight Saga was set in an alternate universe that thrives more on realism without the "Un-just" League around.

Anyway, great story!
Broken Antler in Winter chapter 22 . 9/16/2013
John Stewart: He turned himself in because he knew he would get caught.
Me: You serious? He would never get caught. He could have gone underground and turned into a French baker for all of his skills from Batman...seriously...Not even Batman or Tim Drake would be able to find him! He'd be invisible in the countryside in a chocolate factory! Really John?
Broken Antler in Winter chapter 10 . 9/15/2013
Catwoman being all Catwoman-y! And that crack about Nightwing telling Batman that rush hour's murder... humor in an otherwise really dark fic...