Reviews for Fifty Lashes
Interasant chapter 1 . 6/18/2014
Good work. I appreciate the way you handled the characters - seemed pretty well in line with them. Good use of words and vocabulary.
Darcy chapter 1 . 6/11/2005
Very well written! Had the cadence and spirit of O'Brian's work without being an outright copy of it. The scene was so touching, you've caught all of the nuances of Jack's fondness for Bonden, yet you never crossed the line that Jack would not have crossed himself: he was concerned and very troubled by Bonden's condition, but was still the captain.
Gaeriel Palpatine chapter 1 . 4/14/2005
It's a very lovely story :) I was disgusted when I read the book, et now I hate Corbett much more! Bonden is so cute, so nice...and in the movie too! I like when he takes care of Plaice and the docteur...(a man flogged Billy boyd..he was jealous I'm sure) lol
Belphegor chapter 1 . 3/25/2005
This is perfect, the very little snippet we need we we put down Mauritius Command :o) When I re-read the book not long ago I almost expected this scene to pop up, it fits so well with O'Brian's style, the characters and the background. Everything's perfect, from Jack's trademark pun - "Spotted Dick"... teehee, I love that :o) - to his last shout to Killick. I like Killick a lot, and I sure missed his grumbling in the background of the beginning of Mauritius Command :o)

It's also true that upon reading the scene in which Dr Maturin chance-encounters Bonden we don't have much time to realise what fifty lashes mean to a man's back - things happen rather quickly. At least I admit I read that part rather quickly, so eager I was to see our old Surprises/Sophies/Polychrests (and Bonden and Killick have been the three!) :o) I don't have the faintest idea why, but ever since the first half of Master and Commander when we meet the Sophie's coxwain I've had a fondness for Barrett Bonden - one of those figures I just almost always expect to loom in the background, and his cheerfulness and loyalty to Captain Aubrey made him very endearing, I suppose :o)

By the way, I haven't yet read all the books - I've just finished The Surgeon's Mate - and I've noticed some little continuity errors in the names - first names, mostly. In Treason's Harbour, Mowett's first name is William, whereas he is referred to as 'James' most of the time. And one of these days I'll re-read the whole series (at least the books I have at home) and keep a tally of Bonden's first name being spelled either Barrett or Barret. Both spellings seem to appear regularly, and it makes me wonder, having myself a rather unusual first name (a Basque one, Pantxika, with the 'x' pronounced 'sh') and used to people mangling it :D But I digress.

Thanks for a wonderful little piece that I keep in mind each time I reach this part in the original book :o)

Much of love,

Belphegor :o]
but-the-clouds chapter 1 . 3/1/2005
I think this is a very good story. I know you wrote it a long while a go, but I was bored and skimming through stories and came upon yours. I like Bonden stories and I was happy to see a good one on this site. Anyway, your a good writer and I hope to see more of your stories on this site.

Thanx
my-fool-of-a-took chapter 1 . 1/22/2005
wow. i've never read any of the series, but i hope to very soon. bonden was flogged? how horrible. as far as i know (lol which is only the movie mind) youve captured their characters perfectly. its wonderful :)
Infinitys-End chapter 1 . 9/22/2004
Hurrah! There's so many of these scenes in O'Brian's books, they just beg to be written. You've done a wonderfully good job on this one. Kudos to you!
Frannie1 chapter 1 . 8/2/2004
Wow. You must have read all of the books, because you write for Jack and Bonden so well. You've captured their characters, I think. That was a lovely story (I tend to like shorter ones that come to the point, but perhaps it's because that's mostly what I write). Good work and I hope you keep writing.
Usorokoaemo chapter 1 . 7/29/2004
Beautifully done and extremely touching. I was shocked upon reading that Bonden had been flogged in the books and I think you've conveyed the scene quite appropriately.

Bonden really doesn't get enough credit for his oustanding loyalty and how much behind the scenes work he does. Just think how lost Stephen and Jack would have been without him.
Eldawen chapter 1 . 7/14/2004
I. Love. This.

It's bloody brilliant, if I do say so myself.

-hugs Barrett-

-Cait
Amphion chapter 1 . 6/13/2004
This was excellently written! This story is one of the first fanfics I have come across that was actually based on the Aubrey/Maturin novels, not just the movie. Very nice job.
HiBob chapter 1 . 6/12/2004
I thought the story was well written, but I would take exception to Captain Aubrey's comments. While he would express concern for Bonden, he would never directly express it as personal. He is always conscious of the fact that he is Captain, and of the division between himself and the crew.

Aubrey would likely feel and think what was expressed in your story but, except perhaps to Maturin, he would never openly state them.

His interaction with Killick, of course, was perfect.
Aileen Leonard chapter 1 . 6/10/2004
I like it alot. Your dialogue, especialy Killek's, sounds very much like Patrick O'Brian.
Laurel Leonard chapter 1 . 6/9/2004
This sounds exactly like Patrick O'Brien. It's also a scene I had wanted. Thank you for writing this.
shezzawatto chapter 1 . 6/8/2004
Kim,

You've excelled yet again. Don't you just LOVE POB? You've captured the speech patterns and rhythm of the storylines so well. Gosh, I'm glad I added you to my author alerts list or I wouldn't have known of this piece, 'cos I usually just monitor the HH sites. I suppose your enthusiasm is focussed on POB at the moment, but I"d hate to think you've deserted HH writing.

Take care