Reviews for Tales from the Turboflush
Goldleaf83 chapter 1 . 11/18/2012
This look into the future is great! I love how the story follows upon the implicit consequences of Apollo’s adoption of that “sweet little boy”: he won’t stay sweet and little forever! He’ll turn into a teenager, with all the rebellion that goes with it. You characterize Apollo’s frustration with Troy so well in the opening conversation with Starbuck – though a couple of the things Apollo says make me sympathize with Troy (mocking the youngster’s claim of facial hair). So from the outset, there’s clearly some blame on both sides. The name issues is a neat focus: Apollo’s resentment is very natural when Troy’s chooses to abandon his childhood nickname, especially given its implicit nod to his biological father; the hurt gets compounded by Troy’s later refusal to call Apollo “Dad.” All that seems very realistic given the stresses of their changing relationship, especially Troy’s typical adolescent need to feel grown up. Apollo nostalgic harking back to the “sweet little boy” certainly doesn’t help, even if he’s not doing it in front of Troy, because it colors his reactions to his son when they are together. So Apollo needs to start seeing the kid as a near adult, not wishing for a little boy.

He accomplishes this, much to Troy’s surprise, when called into the principal’s office, seeing the relationship between Dillon and Troy as unsurprising given their age. Troy’s amazed gratitude and embarrassment thus “reinstate” Apollo into fatherhood – that’s such a nice touch, as well as Troy’s reversion to younger behavior when he wants physical comfort from his father. Apollo’s delight in the chance to offer it to him is sweet too. Apollo’s own epiphany that part of their problems stem from Troy’s feelings of neglect then drives him to resolve to do better. Troy’s mood swings in the course of their conversation seem also convincingly typical of a kid that age; he responds best, notably, when it occurs to him that Apollo is treating him as an adult in revealing the true nature of his relationship with Starbuck.

Nice touches of humor in this story too, particularly the steward’s understanding in sending a bottle over to drown their sorrows in, because “the steward was a father too”! (Hoot!) Also Apollo begging Starbuck not to interfere between them because Troy can “be obnoxious enough without Starbuck’s help”! The loving between Apollo and Starbuck is sweet, and the irony of the mirror between their desire for each other and the younger pair’s desires works very nicely. And I’d always wondered how they managed bathroom breaks while out on long range patrols too! Very realistic biological detail there – and handled well without getting too grossly explicit, to boot.
Ranuel chapter 1 . 4/27/2009
That was fun! I don't think I've read an Apollo dealing with a teenage Boxey before. I can imagine Adama taking a certain satisfaction that the parent's curse, may you have children exactly like you, seems to work even when the kid is adopted.
Whazzup 225 chapter 1 . 1/26/2008
I just found this, per a friend's recommendation, and I have to say, even though I'm not generally a fan of slash, I like it. I like how you kept everyone in character. It's a nice little "missing years" fic, and I hope you write more, if you haven't already. *goes to check*
acollectionoffavoritequotes chapter 1 . 12/22/2005
I am SO amused!

And the ironic thing is I have battlestar in a window behind this while I was reading it...hee. At any rate, This was highly amusing and nwo you get a cookie!