Reviews for Songs for a Snake
Octavia Delitian chapter 1 . 5/7/2007
Great! I got my Gríma obsession right after I started listening to Ozzy, so this one really suited me. I listened to the song while I read it too.
Sweet Christabel chapter 4 . 5/19/2005
The Nightwish lyrics are so perfect for Gríma and Éowyn. I thought that when I first heard them but I never found anyone else who thought the same. Now here you are :) Yay!
L'AmatricedeTrappes chapter 4 . 4/22/2005
Another song that I don't know that has beautiful lyrics. I love your description of Eowyn as one of the Valier, and of her practicing swordplay. This may be my favorite chapter in this series; well done! There was something particularly poignant and haunting about this one. I'm rather sad that this was the last installment; they've all been incredible so far, thank you for writing them. Beautiful, beautiful work.
L'AmatricedeTrappes chapter 3 . 4/22/2005
Never even heard of this band, hmm, I'll have to look them up, I really like the lyrics.

I've never before considered that Grima and Eowyn were actually friends when they were younger. Aww, it's so cute, and it works so well.

Eowyn's transition from childhood was described beautifully, almost hauntingly, here. Though the idea of Eowyn forcibly dragging Grima into her bedchamber made me laugh. Oh and the last paragraph is very beautiful, and there's something about the phrase "dealers of the shadows" that I like immensely.

Lovely work, as always.
L'AmatricedeTrappes chapter 2 . 4/22/2005
Yay! Oh, this is one of my favorite Metallica songs, and it always has made me think of Grima, so I'm very glad you chose to use it for a songfic.

I absolutely love your characterization of Grima. I like that at this time he isn't spiteful or angry yet, just uncharismatic and apathetic. And at least he got one good punch in. I also like the origin of the nickname "Wormtongue".

Your writing, again, was beautiful, though I thought the dialogue was a bit too modern, though I'm never very good with judging that sort of thing. I also wish that you could have broken up the lyrics more, the verses and chorus are a bit long and some parts could be separated.

I really, really loved this chapter, so great job!
L'AmatricedeTrappes chapter 1 . 4/22/2005
Very nice. I only have one Ozzy cd, so I haven't heard this song, but you used it very well to describe Grima. I love fics showing Grima as a child, and there's something very cute but sad about his relationship with his mother in this.

"Let him burn" I must admit is very creepy. I am curious as to why Grima would choose to have his father burn as opposed another way to die. Maybe the idea of the house itself burning with his father in it is more complete, it would allow Grima and his mother to start over more fully?

I love that you wrote this in first person; actually, I love everything about this songfic and can't think of any criticism. Beautiful writing.
Lady Baelish chapter 4 . 8/25/2004
At last, a song I've actually heard! (It's to your credit that I'm actually going to look up some of the previous songs, though my interests stray mostly to baroque and showtunes.)

There's some very good verbal imagery in this chapter. I especially liked the reference to the nickname 'Wormtongue' as a scar. And it's nice and stalkerish. I notice the song and theme of each vignette are getting darker as you go along.

Very good. Continue to update.
Lady Baelish chapter 3 . 8/25/2004
Yay! Eowyn and Grima playing munchkin games. Cute.

I'm surprised you haven't gotten any more reviews. This is actually a very good little series. I like the flow between the different chapters/songs. How long do you plan to continue the storyline?
Lady Baelish chapter 2 . 8/25/2004
Wah! Here it is! I've been trying to find this but I'd forgotten it was listed as a songfic. I don't normally read them as it's rare to find one that isn't 90% lyrics.

Anyhow...

I like the timeline you're setting up with these. And it's very interesting and character building. Quite wonderful. The dialogue strikes me as a bit too modern sounding, but it isn't noticable enough to be a problem.

Onward to chapter three!
auri mynonys chapter 3 . 8/10/2004
I like this a lot. It's kind of reminiscent (sp?) of Vereena's "Second Half of Scissors". It's an excellent story and I really like the first person pov. Okay, now I reviewed, where's my Grima plushie? *grins, winks*
Lady Baelish chapter 1 . 6/21/2004
Aw... Squishy sweet! And weensy Grima, how adorable! You don't see nearly enough young Grima fics online. And this one was especially lovely, though I must admit I've never heard the song. I like the first person POV. Very god...

Did you write all these stories in advance, or are they just the result of a recent burst of creativity?