Reviews for Father, Captain, and King
Petrichora chapter 1 . 2/23/2013
I honestly don't know why Thranduil so frequently gets made out to be Daddy Bad Guy in fanfictions: I can honestly say that I never, ever got that vibe from him in The Hobbit. To me, he has always been stern and proud (at times overly so), but he is not without compassion, and given the state of his kingdom, I think it's highly understandable that he treats Thorin and Co with suspicion.

For that reason, I loved your portrayal of him here. He is Legolas' father, and if for no other reason, I will continue to think positively of him for that. ]
LyradanaGreetsTheWind chapter 1 . 4/9/2011
Wow, this one is a big winner for me. The "Wood Elves" are a troubled people in difficult times and this story of love of family is both a troubling and a touching tale.

I think you handled this subject with great sensitivity and the admissions made between Father and youngest son in the privacy of the glen would be moving to anyone with a heart that still beats.

That this was the glen when Legolas was drawn in his troubles, where he had played as a child, where stood the tree that had been planted and nurtured as a memorial to his departed Mother; understandable all, to him perhaps a place of peace and quiet thought.

For the Father, so long lived and now bereft of his wife, the glade might be hard to visit, to see the remains of the once beautiful tree that the forces of nature and time had destroyed, the last memorial to his wife - but for the living son that stood before him. His most precious child.

Gosh. I could ramble on, but all I really wanted to say was thank you for writing and sharing such a lovely piece of fiction. Well done, that author there!
KyMahalei chapter 1 . 7/18/2010
This is an excellent piece, and quite provocative in its content. I'm working on my own story, Another Road, that takes Legolas and Thranduil at a much younger time in Legolas' life, and it's encouraging to find another writer that writes such a strong and loving Thranduil character. It's been a long time since I've read your work, Thundra, so I see that I'm going to have to do some digging around and enjoy more of the stories you have to offer.

Thanks for sharing your gift of writing.
kingofrock1973 chapter 1 . 7/7/2010
i know this is a random review because you wrote this years ago, but i just now found it so... that was really good! and really sweet without being over the top, you handled the emotions between father and son well. good job with this story.
je m'appelle chapter 1 . 12/27/2009
This was a really sweet story; it's beautifully written. You've portrayed both Legolas and Thranduil very well. Great job.
Tathrin chapter 1 . 12/18/2009
That was astonishingly beautiful.

And heart-wrenching and illuminating, as well. Your insight into Mirkwood and its torments, and how they play upon the Elves within its trees, was wonderful to read. Your presentation of duty versus family in regards to Mirkwood's royalty was absolutely perfect. I find a fresh appreciation for the Hobbit in your words-your elegant, delightful words. Simply incredible.
aotearoan chapter 1 . 11/15/2009
Two things I really liked about this well-written fanfic- the positive portrayal of Thranduil, and the accurate (in my opinion) way you've described what a difficult situation the Mirkwood elves are in
bjelka chapter 1 . 7/16/2009
Wonderful... and at the same time so very sad...

You could have broken off this story before they got back to the palace, that would have been a happy end. But for incomprehensible reason I'm glad you didn't.
fangirl29 chapter 1 . 1/11/2009
exquisitely written (wipes tears from eyes)
Tari Surion chapter 1 . 11/26/2008
Aww, this is a wonderful father son ficlet.

Hope to read more of your work!

~*~Tari,
Jedi Sapphire chapter 1 . 9/16/2008
I really liked this story... I liked the idea of Legolas with a bunch of older siblings and a loving if normally somewhat preoccupied father. :)

Are you going to be writing more stories about the Mirkwood royals?
Starlit jewel chapter 1 . 12/30/2006
Oh, this is a great story! I love it! It's so sweet and yet it also shows the hardships fo being a leader. Thank you so much for writing this!
Vampiress-Alexiel chapter 1 . 11/13/2006
ah man, that was beautiful. I absolutely love this story, it almost made me cry when Thranduil answered "no!" Excellent job, and thanks for writing this, it really made me stop and remember my own family :).
Anearin chapter 1 . 11/5/2006
that is a sweet story! although its sad that it only lasted a moment, and not a lifetime, though I suppose that life in Mirkwood was like that, unfortunately. But a great story!

Anearin