Reviews for Father, Captain, and King
Rose Atlee chapter 1 . 8/24/2004
Aw! That is so good! *wipes a tear from her eye* I want my dada!
Teresa chapter 1 . 7/28/2004
I just finished reading this story, and I loved it. It's one of the best portrayals of the relationship between Legolas and his father that I've read in a long time. I enjoy all your writing and look forward to reading more. Thank you!
KissTheRainGirl12489 chapter 1 . 7/27/2004
Hm...this was good all and all but kind of the worst story I've read but it wasn't the best either.I kind of dont see in your writing pattern though a actual way to make it wrote this story good don't get me wrong,but it was kind of went really really slow.
Templa Otmena chapter 1 . 7/24/2004
I adored this fic, as I did your other two recent ones. I must apologise for being so late in reviewing... I believe that my earliest Author Alert! for you stretches to the end of March... Real Life stuff in the guise of college and exams got in the way but I am catching up, giving me a plausible excuse to re-read said fics :)

Anyway, I enjoyed being allowed a glimpse into the complicated dynamics of this father-son relationship and it made it all the more resonant with it being posted on fathers' day :) Thranduil, when it counts, really does seem to know and understand his son although we know from your other fics that this does not happen all of the time. But Legolas, despite his denials, really needed that comfort here and I love it that Thranduil was there for him and could provide this.

At the same time though it was so tragically evident that this really is a one off and you portrayed this but also the gratitude of having been given that moment so well.

As always excellent! Thank you for sharing this :)
Just Another Writer1 chapter 1 . 7/5/2004
That was just beautiful. I loved how subtly Thranduil manipulated Legolas into admitting what was wrong - I think it not only fit but fleshed out his character marvelously. Makes me re-evaluate him in your other stories - Fear No Darkness, for example. Wonderful. :D
carlisle chapter 1 . 7/2/2004
I've read a lot of your stories and you are one of my favorite authors. This was one of your best. I almost began to cry at the end. good job!
Ranger ari chapter 1 . 6/28/2004
*sniffles* Just beautiful! As always, you tap into the minds of Tolkien's characters so well they seem to have sprung from the book. The best Father's Day story I've ever read. Bittersweet, but sweet all the same! *wipes tears*
Amanalda chapter 1 . 6/27/2004
Oh my goodness! *sobs* That was totally one of the best stories I have ever read in my life. Your insight into the characters' minds is stunning, and your writing is so increadably seemless and...colorful is the only way I can put it it just never ceases to stun me. It's that way will all your stories, and this is NO exception.

Your portrayal of Mirkwood and the situation it's in seems like it just pops right out of the books. Right down to the mindset of the royal family. This fic was just priceless and a great look into the minds of Thranduil and Legolas. How you get them down so well I will NEVER know. It just seems so...right.

I did a double take when I found out what was really bothering Legolas. That just seemed like a thought that was so...small compared to what he could have been thinking or feeling guilty about, that it totally surprised me when I found out that that was the problem. But really, if you think about it, it really is very big. And you pulled it out and worked on it, and turned it into a masterpiece. VERY well done.

My eyes never cease to boggle at some of the word play these guys do. Throwing words back at each other and twisting them to turn to their advantage. *shakes head* I just go, "what in the world made them think up THAT response?" all the time. And that would totally happen as well, these guys are really intellegent and have lived a long time, and boy do you show that masterfully.

Thank you SO much for such a wonderful and *sniff* heartwrenching story. That was the perfect Father's Day story and I adored it.

See ya!

Amanalda

p.s By the way, Thranduil's answer to Legolas' question earned cheers from my sisters and bro here at home. I read it to them, and they adored it. It's so fun to watch their expressions...hehe. They all send their "great job"s and "great story"s, and my mom tips her hat to you and your talent. You captured every one of them. Great job.
Arandil chapter 1 . 6/26/2004
Hi! I came over here to review because I couldn't seem to find your forum over at HASA.

I cried. I know, I'm way emotional, but I did. It was such a touching moment, and perfect to portray Good!Thranduil. And can I just mention that I love your Thranduil.

I think the thing that amazes me the most about your stories is the way you are able to stay inside one character and yet still acurately and believably portray what other characters are thinking/feeling. I see that in all of your stories and I tip my hat to you and your talent.

I feel honored (and a quite a bit intimidated) to be entered in the same challenge that you have entered a story into.

-Arandil (eagerly awaiting updates to your other stories)
arbitrary9 chapter 1 . 6/24/2004
Wow. That was an amazing piece. I loved the manner in which you described the relationship between Thranduil and Legolas, the language is so seamless and blends so well together...hehe, but then again this should not be a surprise, since all your other works are equal in quality as well. That is another thing I love about your stories, they have such a way of describing the scene and then the characters placed into it. This particular one is very touching...it shows great depth into Thranduil and also of what great leaders often have to forfeit; emotions to be seen by others. Again, I really loved this vigniette. :) I hope there's more! Since there's no "THE END" ;) If that is the case, update soon...along with your other wonderful stories.
Jazmin3 Firewing chapter 1 . 6/22/2004
Aw. So sweet! A very perceptive insight into how Mirkwood's royal family functions. Very nice.
Firnsarnien chapter 1 . 6/21/2004
*lip quivers...sob...sniff* That was bittersweet! Touching! Lovely! Sad! Heart-warming! Heart-rending! *sniffle*

I've always thought the role Legolas has to play, and Thranduil, is a tough one. They have to sacrifice so much more than others and they have to have higher expectations for themselves than others would. Their life as royalty is a hard one. And things such as this show just how hard it is.

For Legolas to have to choose duty over family is heart-rending. And for him to do it is even more expected of him than others because he's royalty. They are supposed to put the well being of Mirkwood above all else. Ah, I don't think I need to say again how touch that is. Your story simply shows us.

I loved how you brought father and son together in this story and allowed them to be father and son. *sob* This was a wonderful story! :)
Me chapter 1 . 6/21/2004
I don't think I've ever read a story of yours that was less than amazing. I truly don't. That's all that I can say.
RavenMerc chapter 1 . 6/21/2004