Reviews for Dream of the Earthbound
Ryan chapter 5 . 3/28/2005
I love your story. It is well written, has a nice plot with interesting characters. Kinda reminds me of all those relationship drama manga I'm always reading(Manga rots your brain by the way). I especially enjoy how all the characters make their fair share of mistakes and no character seems to be perfect. It makes for a nicer drama that way. I must say though, I love the length of your chapters and find that each chapter is packed full of story. Of course, that just means I will be putting of my homework for that much longer...

Keep up the great writing and I hope to hear from you again soon. Er, maybe after I finish my current homework... :)
beege chapter 5 . 3/28/2005
The thing that strikes me about this chapter is the way you portray Genma and Soun. You capture both of them with surprising clarity, managing to present them in a way that crystallises their flaws while keeping them almost sympathetic. It's hardly a newsflash that neither of them will ever win a father of the year award (personally, I have always suspected that Soun may have a lot to answer for regarding the job of parenting he did after his wife died) but you look at the possible reasons for them being the way they are. Few authors give them that much credit. For that matter, few authors pay much attention to Soun at all - credit to you for shining the spotlight on an underutilised character.

I agree, pretty much, with your idea of what Nabiki herself is like. We've discussed this before, so I'll just say that the idea of her regarding everyone save her blood family as either resource or threat matches up pretty well with all the canon evidence. If she looks worse than we ever see in the canon it's only because you take the step of figuring out what the world looks like from inside Nabiki's head, and do it well.
PabloDoritos chapter 2 . 3/28/2005
Keep up the good work dude.
obsidian-fox chapter 5 . 3/27/2005
Ooh these Tendos are grating on my nerves... the interactions do make for a good drama, though: Nabiki and her manipulations, Akane and her possessive jealousy that always hurts Ranma before anyone else, and Ranma who is slowly recognizing the hell that he dwells in is, for whatever reason, called the heavenly-way... and the escape that is the actual heavens, the sky.

I love the new techniques, both from Genma and Shampoo.

'His borrowed pink pants gleamed in the sunlight.' - lol

I also love Cologne in this chapter, and Genma too.

"At least five things crash-landed on us in the past year that had nothing to do with him, and that we simply could not have survived without his help." - would you mind naming them? I'm not all that familiar with the anime version, but I only remember one or two things in the manga.
OokamiShiroi chapter 5 . 3/27/2005
Great chapter, I love how things are progressing. That air-style is also a nice added bonus to this already great story. My feelings toward Nabiki stay the same as in my previous reviews. I don't like her, she's playing with fire and i hope she seriously gets her fingers burnt. But on the Shampoo front, it's going great. She's slowly but surely showing Ranma her true nature. Their 'relationship' is starting to take ground, I believe as the training continues that it will only ground itself more and they will both be shocked at how close they have grown together. Again I say, great chapter. I can't wait to see how this story will go. Continue with the great updates.

OokamiShiroi out.
Niana Kuonji N.L.I chapter 5 . 3/26/2005
Hey, Starling, is there EVER a time I don't enjoy reading this story?

Starling: *looks up from her manga* Not that I recall.

I couldn't either. I actually agree with the reasonings you're using so far-especially your portrayal of Nabiki. She's got all the brains and the mercenary-tactics of the entire family as well as the wit and wisdom of where to use them. Not once has she ever tried to hurt anyone in her family (the times she messes with Ranma don't count 'cause she was trying to help her sister see sense) or do more than charge them a relatively paltry fee. I've always wanted her to have a bigger role in the series but unfortunately that never happened and so far I haven't come up with a fic that would give her a more central role. *takes a breath* You're doing a wonderful job weaving all these different perspectives together into a coherent whole. I'm looking forward to your next chapter!
Campin' Carl chapter 1 . 3/26/2005
I don't know why, but I can't read this. I love the idea, and your writing is great, but...I feel like I'm forcing myself to read it. No idea why. I entertained the idea of writing something like this before I knew even existed, yet this doesn't keep me interested. Oh well. I got to chapter 2 before I got bored, and it was really good.
Fangorn chapter 5 . 3/26/2005
Hmm... right after Ryouga found out that it was Ranma that had sent him down to the cursed spring, Ranma did splash him, thus ending (winning?) their fight. Still, I think Ranma would do it as a last resort. In both the Breaking Point and the Shi Shi Houkoudan episodes Akane was present and Ranma was bound to protect his secret. In the end, a matter of interpretation.

Beside the technicalities, a very good story. Keep up the good work!
Wonderbee31 chapter 5 . 3/26/2005
Okay, first off, several times with Nabiki's discussion with Ryoga, I wanted to stand and shout "testify!" Nabiki in you fic hit the nail on the head on some of my feelings about Ryoga and Akane. He does live in a dreamworld concerning her, and does feed into her own delusions sometimes. Nice to see that Ryoga finally thought about how she might feed her kids with her cooking someday, or that his "helping" he usually ends up costing her more in real training. Akane may have been the best martial artsit in Nerima, unless it was because most of the others that may have been around either held back, ignored or just didn't know about her, which seems the case considering Kodachi and Tetawaki act around her. She needs Ranma to help her out of hewr jams, thinking back to the dojo destroyer, or Natsume and Kurumi, which was Ranma's help again. Nice to see that Nabiki is trying to get through her thick-headedness. Maybe she can crack that rock around Ryoga's head next.
Tessa Shelton chapter 5 . 3/26/2005
I like this quite a lot. It does a great job of characterization while avoiding the pitfalls of your other two major stories (Nocturne's random uberization of Ukyou and dismissal of better-developed characters, and White Rose's tacky threesome and ridiculous character relationships). I've got high hopes that you can keep the quality up, and hope the next chapter isn't too long in coming.
Guest chapter 4 . 3/22/2005
It's so typical of Ms. B* Akane to see things in a positive light no matter what the situation when it comes to Ryoga. If Ranma had done the same thing Ryoga did she would beat him to an inch of his life. I hope that you make her pay somehow.
neko chapter 4 . 2/22/2005
This fanfic is really good. It's the only one I have read that doesn't make one character perfect and the other ones horrible.
LeBibish chapter 4 . 2/5/2005
You know, I think one of my favorites things about this story is the effort you put into neither vilifying nor idealizing the characters. You make them human, which is hard work. I appreciate hard work in writing. Of course, it's not just characterizations. The storyline is well thoughtout and well done as well.
obsidian-fox chapter 4 . 2/4/2005
Good work! I greatly enjoyed this chapter. I'm glad to see Akane is changing, and thankful that you decided to avoid too much time in Nabiki's perspective. I would have liked to see a bit more Ranma/Shampoo relationship building... at least a scene in there somewhere... but I suppose you avoided it for a reason.

I look forward to your next chapter.
beege chapter 4 . 2/3/2005
You know, I really like the way that whenever you write a major fight scene, it's always as the culmination (or part of the continuation) of an important issue between two characters.. It's never just, 'Hey You! Let's Fight!' and you don't use flimsy justifications just to write cool fight scenes. The fight scenes you write are not only relevant to the story, they're integral to it.

I like your portrayal of Cologne and Shampoo's interaction here (and throughout the story) as well. You're an Amazon apologist, but you write too well to be called biased. The way Cologne is just as concerned about Shampoo's development as a person as she is about Shampoo winning Ranma (and may even see both as part of a greater whole) rings true to me. Your understanding of Cologne is one that fairly and believably paints her in a fairly good light.

On another note, do you think Nabiki really believes that Akane's engagement to Ranma is the only one where anyone's honor is on the line? Don't get me wrong, I doubt that Nabiki much cares about what happens to either of them, but to what degree is she just playing to Akane's feelings when she says that? And has she considered how Ranma might react if Akane voiced such an opinion in front of him, given that Ranma takes all his honor commitments seriously.

The thing that's always struck me most forcibly about Akane, more than anything else, is that she doesn't differentiate between 'I want' and 'I deserve.' Apart from the unthinking selfishness of that attitude the emotional trauma she inflicts on herself whenever the rest of the world shows her that this belief is incorrect is considerable (and, I suspect, the source of most of her other character flaws). And if there's one thing about the Tendo family (all its members) that annoys me it's that none of them ever seem to acknowledge the degree to which Akane's difficulties stem from the way *they* raised her. You address both these issues with subtlety and a distinct lack of preaching of character bashing, which I appreciate.

Finally, you make a neat point about Akane being nicer to people who are less important to her - although I always considered that to be just one more manifestation of her basic insecurity.

As good a read as ever, and a reminder that I should get off my lazy butt and finish chapters for some of my stories.
211 | « Prev Page 1 .. 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 .. Last Next »