Reviews for Dream of the Earthbound
Ysolde chapter 9 . 4/10/2006
Once again another awesome tale. I can't wait to read the next installment and see what happens as Ranma and Shampoo's relationship progresses.
beege chapter 9 . 4/10/2006
Okay Aon, as per your request:

Quote:

"There is never going to be peace in our household until you manage to see Ranma as he really is. Of course he has his problems! Who wouldn’t? He grew up with only his father for a point of stability, never having any other experience with family, almost no friends, never even having a place to stay that he knew he wasn’t going to have to leave before long. Ranma deserves our admiration, not our contempt, for the strength that brought him out of that without being worse than just rough and unpolished. You’ve never given him as much credit as he is due."

You know, this paragraph perfectly encapsulates all the reasons why I like Ranma so much better than Akane. I’m not so biased that I’ll deny the Akane/Ranma relationship is a positive feedback loop they both contribute too. And I certainly don’t think Ranma is perfect, or blameless. But even accounting for the difficulties of Akane’s own childhood (I think it’s fair to say that Akane lost both parents when her mother died) she has far fewer excuses for her immaturity than Ranma does.

Consider: Akane stayed in one place growing up so she got the continuity Ranma never had, including the development of long term friendships (she’s clearly known Yuka and Sayuri for awhile). Akane at least had Kasumi as a bedrock. Akane lived in Tokyo, surrounded by typical people leading typical loves, so she had plenty of examples for how to conduct yourself in what, for the purposes of this argument, we’ll call ‘civilised’ society.

Ranma had none of these things.

And so far as Kuno and the horde are concerned, it’s clearly implied in the canon that this is a relatively recent development in Akane’s life. It helps to explain her initial reaction to Ranma, but it hardly justifies the way she clings to that initial perception of him. And that neatly brings to my other big issue (and I mean BIG) with Akane: Her incredibly judgmental nature. Ranma may be thoughtless and rude to Akane, but he doesn’t denigrate her underlying character the way Akane does his. Akane clings to a falsely negative perception of Ranma because the alternative is a long bout of highly painful self-examination. Words fail me as to how selfish and unfair I consider that to be.

In essence, the problem that Ranma and Akane have is that neither of them has ever grown up. The crucial difference between is that Ranma’s never had a chance to realise he needs to, let alone figure out how, but Akane, deep down, just doesn’t want to.

So tell me, which of those is worse?
Kether chapter 9 . 4/10/2006
Been reading this amazing epic you've been writing and needed to review at last. This is one of the best ranma fanfics that has ever been written in all 15 years I've been reading. Your portrayal of the characters is exact, and fleshes out the roles of shampoo and ukyou very well to show that the canon fails to flesh them out in any detail, which is probably why so many fanfics attack their characters so often.

I must say I am hoping very much that the romance continues at this pace, though at times I do hope that the Tendos get what they have had coming to them for so long. And considering how much money they owe him, they should seriously give him a break (Kuno gave the deed to both akane and the pig-tail girl, then later on soun gambled the house away freely which ranma won, etc.)
obsidian-fox chapter 9 . 4/9/2006
Excellent work, as usual. You're correct that the one quote about Akane (violent maniac) is from the manga; I figured you got yours from the anime due to your original author notes. I would note, though, that I think you accidently mussed up on the quote from Nodoka to Ukyo about 'your future /with/ Ranma' (since Nodoka didn't say that; she said 'your and Ranma's future' or something).

I liked the ending bit, there. And the fight with Mousse was excellent. Good work.
pi chapter 9 . 4/9/2006
New chapter! Aod, you didn't let me down! WOT!
TheWhiteMonk chapter 9 . 4/9/2006
Wow. Deep. Akane was right about Nodoka hearing only what she wanted to hear. Ranma is growing up. Mousse may start a road to growth. Ryouga is still uncertain. Akane is improving.

Oh and I loved this line, "Genma looked to be on the verge of a simultaneous stroke, heart attack, apoplexy, and bowel blowout." I tried imagining it and laughed so hard I fell out of my chair and got kicked out of the library. You are an excellent Ranma FanFic writer who sees past all the Fanon. Except that your Nodoka is a Fanon Nodoka, but in her case I can forgive it since we get very little information on her period.

Please continue this excellent fiction.
JohnnyG chapter 9 . 4/9/2006
Most excellent, as always. I really like how the relationship between Ranma and Shampoo is progressing. Keep up the fantastic work.

Best,

~JohnnyG
Wonderbee31 chapter 9 . 4/9/2006
Wow, this was something, the battle with Mouse, the conversation between Nodoka and Ukyo, and the later one with Akane and Nodoka, just great. I really look forward to what happens next, as it seems things are spiraling up into a good-sized storm. Bot girls are right in a way, but Akane needs to learn to back off, Ukyo needs to accept what Ranma might want, and Nodoka, her plans are just coming around more and more.

Looking forward to the next part here.
True Radical Dreamer chapter 9 . 4/9/2006
...just wow. Excellent plot line and fight scene. It's a masterpiece of fan fiction if I have ever seen one. Best fiction on the sight hands down; I look forward to what you have planed for the rest of the story!
Ysolde chapter 8 . 3/23/2006
This is really an excellent story so far. Please keep up the great work.
Niana Kuonji chapter 8 . 3/18/2006
'this offer surely couldn’t twist on him as badly as that one had.' Let's see, I think this one should go under the heading of 'Famous Last Words'. Nodoka really is fixated on the whole multiple-women thing, isn't she? I can't wait until that idea gets introduced to Akane.
Niana Kuonji chapter 7 . 3/18/2006
Ranma versus Sephiroth. Now there's a match I really would pay to see. I'm glad that Ranma is finally starting to work some of the emotional kinks out of his life, with anyone period. I personally lean towards the RanmaxAkane pairing, but Xian Pu and Ukyo aren't very far behind. As long as he isn't stuck with someone like Kodachi, dear gods. Ah, well. On to the next chapter!
wage chapter 8 . 3/11/2006
While technically well written, I have a hard time enjoying a fic that appears to be about the total destruction of Ranma's characters and values so that he can be recast (by the hand of Shan-Pu herself, no less) into her ideal prize. The subtle darkness throughout makes this one of the more compelling psycho-dramas I've ever read, though. It's amazing to watch Ranma believe in freedom, yet work so actively to make sure that all he'll be left with in life is a tiny backwater village in China. Expertly captured.

I'm confused about Ukyou - she's not following the formula very well yet. It's painfully obvious that Ranma will not leave this fic on speaking terms with any non-Amazon except maybe his mother, so how exactly is Ukyou going to invalidate herself as both a friend and a fiancee?

Gritty or not, it's so far worthwhile, though I completely understand why I was told that the nickname for this fic is "the Gelding of the Horse". I can't read it without stopping to read something happier intermittently ... but wow. Compelling. Very compelling.
The-Shadow002 chapter 1 . 3/3/2006
Great first chapter, I love the idea of Ranma's curse change now what I'm interested in seeing is how he makes use of it and how the others react :) Great work.
kinaimixmail.com chapter 8 . 2/17/2006
Do you think that Akane (canon) is selfish?

Kinai.