Reviews for Dream of the Earthbound
pong chapter 6 . 7/19/2005
Thank you, the quality of your words exceds the high standerd I have come to expect from your work. I anticipate the next installment of this fick with baited breath, your best story in my not so humbel opinion.
TheWhiteMonk chapter 6 . 7/19/2005
Your chapter title is very aprropriate. Actually, I think it is an understatement if anything.

Personally, I think Ranma could have handled Akane much better than he did. But then again, would he know to do it any other way? I won't excuse his words, he should have been nicer about it (you portray him quite realistically though). Akane refusing to face reality is nothing new in Fanfiction, but you portray her far better than most do, and you make her far more intellegent. You also make Genma and Soun into something other than a pair of lazy evil villans as well, a trap most authors fall into. Granted it is extremely easy because Genma and Soun set themselves up for it, but I like the way you handled the two of them. Especially Genma. Ukyo was done well though she is not getting much attention so far, but considering your story 'Nocturne' that is not surprising.

I like the Grandmotherly Kuh Lon better than the sneaky villan many authors make her, simply because it fits canon better. Your portrayal of an Intellegent Xian Pu is well done and quite realistic. But the best part of your story is your version of the Kiss of Death and Kiss of Marrige. The angle on the Kiss of Marrige is not new (it being optional) but your version of the Kiss of Death is unique as far as I know. The way you handled Kodachi is completely unique and well done as well. Tatewaki doesn't really have any significant amount of screen time so I won't comment on him, except he seems smarter than normal. But not by a significant amount. I also like the fact that Ryouga is on his way to growing up as well. Even if the process will be slow. But that is quite suitable. I notice Msu Tse (Is that how it is spelled? I can't remember) isn't a major character, but that is okay.

My only gripe is the way Nabiki is being vilified. She seemed okay in the last chapter, but she seems to have done a 180 degree turn. Okay maybe not that severe but it is causing some head scratching on my part. On the otherhand it could just be you showing multiple facets to her personality. Though I think you overdid the fact that she is a control freak. I mean, she was never that bad in canon. The one time that came close, Ranma deserved it for once (he accidently destroyed some tickets to an event she really wanted to go to and made his life hell for a day). This is your story, so if you need an antagonist go ahead and make Nabiki it. All things considered, Nabiki might be the best antagonist for this sort of story (The way the status quo changes in a way that she would not like).

Finally, I have to say I like the way you portray Ranma. You show both his good and bad points without deifying him or villifying him. He is growing up, and I can see that it is happening at what seems to be a realistic rate.

This is a fabulous story. Even the spelling and grammer are pretty much flawless. No real flaws I can see, but I'll let you know if I see any. Please keep writing this story, the suspense is killing me. Well maybe not that, but I don't like waiting. But take as long as you need to.
JohnnyG chapter 6 . 7/19/2005
As usual, I found it worth the wait. Sure, I wish it had come faster, but who am I to complain (with my own tardiness being a factor in writing)? Anyhow, fantastic chapter. Keep up the excellent work.

Best,

JohnnyG
beege chapter 6 . 7/19/2005
I have a little less to say here than I have about previous chapters - mostly because I've already commented on this chapter at the refuge - so I'll just observe that I like the interaction between the Kuno siblings, and the interaction between Soun and Genma, and the parallels between genma training Akane and Cologne training Shampoo (a point I meant to raise when I commented on the previous chapter).

I keep thinking that Ranma could use a variation of the argument he intends to use to persuade his mother that his new curse is a good thing on Kuno, but I can't think how it would ever come up or fit in to the story (although I think it is just possible that Kuno could be won over by the notion that the gift of flight is something that could only be granted to one of the good guys).

Incidentally, the mention you make of Lawson in your Author's notes remends me of something I've wondered about: Given your preferences, you must really, really hate 'Thy Inward Love' right?
pong chapter 1 . 6/20/2005
I love your work, plz update this, there are so few of the old croud left.
cythe chapter 1 . 6/2/2005
i dont know what it is about this story exactly but i love it.
Chaos Rune chapter 4 . 5/9/2005
I quote "‘Why am I the only one who sees things clearly around here!’ Akane silently exclaimed" now thats funny, she? the only one to see thing clearly? Ja!. Also the way she mistrust Ranma is not funny at all, and in my opinion, trust is a big part in a relationship (one of the reasons I cant see Ranma and Akane together.

I love the way Cologne explained her actions to Shampoo, so keep the good work!
Chaos Rune chapter 4 . 5/9/2005

I love the way Cologne explained her actions to Shampoo, so keep the good work!
Chaos Rune chapter 3 . 5/9/2005
I quote ""Don’t worry, Akane," Sayuri murmured, laying the innuendo on even thicker than had her friend. "Sooner or later he’ll open his eyes and realize who’s really been there for him the whole time, always looking out for him and treating him better than he deserves. It’ll all pay off sooner or later, I’m guessing sooner with all the—"" is there something in the water that makes people stupid? better than he deserves? Im surprised she has not been arrested for trying to murder somebody

By the way, this fic is great, cant wait to read ch 4
Chaos Rune chapter 2 . 5/9/2005
First, let me say that Im surprised I never saw this fic before, is one of the best one there, second, I hope Nabiki gets a few slaps at least, she has never been one of my favorite characters, with the way she acts all mighty when she controls everybody, so I really want to see whats going to happen in Ch 3
pong chapter 5 . 5/8/2005
this is exsalent
Janus of Troy chapter 5 . 4/30/2005
I have been enjoying this fic so far. That is in no small part do to once again seeing Ranma try to work through the problems in his life with the solutions are neither trite nor easy.

Good characterization all around, even if Nabiki is realy starting to "tick" me off. As some others have chimed in on her opinions, I hope no one minds if I do the same.

When she states that "...The things Ranma says to her are totally justified more often than not, and if I thought it would really get through to her, I’d arrange for him to be even harsher and more critical.” One, while Ranma is quite willing to point out to Akane when she is lacking, he rarely points out precisely why she goofed or how to improve. It would be much like reviewing a fic here by just repeatedly telling the author that his/her fics suck and that author can't write, without pointing out how they could improve.

During her traning to fight Kodachi, we saw Akane improve greatly in one week. In vol. 21 of the manga Nodoka tries to teach Akane to cook and in vol. 23 she makes a edible curry (yes, I know this is based on the anime. But I don't know where these two stories appeared in that.)In both cases someone gave her encouragment and guidence. I do think Ryoga would do well to follow nodoka's example and gently tell Akane when she makes a mistake.

One other thing, when Shampoo complains about how Akane used Shampoo's curse against her all the time, I wondder if she forgot that Akane never did it before Shampoo tried to ture Akane into a duck.
leeyiankun chapter 5 . 4/6/2005
What Nabiki said really gotten to me.

I must congratulate you on all of the characterization in this story. This is an excellent piece. No unjustified bashing occurred anywhere, that I'm certain.

Keep the great work up, please.
She-Wolf chapter 5 . 4/5/2005
Yet another amazing chapter to one of the best Shampoo and Ranma stories out there! I'm still loving this: you've got great character development, and I like how Ranma's efforts are unfolding. He's realized that changes need to start, but that those changes require considerations of their own. Can't wait for part 6!
Sunhawk chapter 5 . 3/31/2005
Nice to see another chapter. Looks good, with the fleshing-out of some of the characters. Would've perhaps liked a bit more development in the romance area (between Ranma and Shampoo, of course :-p), but that's a minor quibble.
211 | « Prev Page 1 .. 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 .. Last Next »