Reviews for Family Affairs
Het Up chapter 1 . 11/2/2007
Tim Drake left the building, and a few seconds later, Robin left the house.

"It's a benevolent dictatorship."

My two favorite lines, right there. A bit of an unusual structure - I think I'd prefer just being thrown into the deep end and figuring things out on my own rather than hearing a bunch of characters reminiscing about the start of the AU - it's like it's a step between showing and telling, with the characters telling us instead of showing us. Which isn't that much better, to me.

But a compelling start to the plot with the story's hallmark coincidence (Batman and non-YJ co. being called off to deal with Darkseid) tying into the more immediate plot (?). Harm is a great, underused villain to appear here (since Pansy seems to be more married to the story at this point) and the notion of him pettily messing with Greta's dreams is a nice "DICK!/can Tim and Greta beat the hell out of this guy yet?" moment.
RobinofYJ chapter 17 . 10/2/2007
As always, another great chapter. As good as the action is, I find the Drakes to be my favorite characters. Characterization FTW.
Cranston chapter 17 . 9/25/2007
You updated! ...

Now that that's out of the way, I have to say that you continue to astound me with the depth of characterisation you include in this 'fic along with it's kick-ass storyline. Bravo.

I'd like to see more of the Gotham clan (Catwoman, Batgirl, Huntress etc.), to see how they're handling not just the country-wide offensive, but Robin's decision to un-mask the Titan's to thier respective families and how it might impinge on them. Then again, you might already have that planned, or it might not fit with what you do have planned.

I almost feel sorry for Harm, p*ssing off the Titans (Robin and Secret especially) so bad, but when Starfire gets back he's gonna be a smudge on the sidewalk from her glare, let alone her starbolts!

Great Job, great fic, keep it up. Please.
Rflame chapter 17 . 9/24/2007
Nice update.
Protector of Canon2 chapter 17 . 9/23/2007
I love this, but I can't help feeling like I've missed something.

Or has Babs not reached the Fortress of Solitude yet?
Tressa chapter 16 . 9/2/2007
I can't believe I missed this chapter. Anyhow, on with the reivew. Once again, your attention to detail and dialogue has impressed me. I loved the whole issue with Greta. It was something that would eventually have to be brought to the forefront. And poor Dana is just still getting the lowdown on her step-sons very complicated life.

I loved the balance here. With the tension riding throughout the entire chapter, there were still some lighthearted moments (thanks to Gar), some tearful moments, and brief moments of, well, I don't want to say happiness, but maybe moments that were not so stressful. I love the balance that you've presented.

Again, everyone was in character. This story is coming along great! I've actually kind of fallen out of reading DC comics, but after reading this chapter has made me realize how much I acutally love it. Thanks and looking forward to more!
The Lady Bonny chapter 16 . 7/2/2007
Damn. That's really all I can say when I read a story like this. Damn.

I have to admit that I do not know much about DC comics outside of Teen Titans (and even then, it's the older Titans I know the most about) but reading your story has made me fall in love with Tim, Greta, and the other former YJers. Bart is adorable and so much fun, and I wish we could have seen more of him as you write him in the comics. I love Tim and Greta's relationship and how important it is to the story; I'm a sucker for good romance (note my gushing about Gar and Raven below) that enhances a plotline. I don't think I've ever read such an intricate plot and although it's sometimes hard to follow (that is not any of your doing, though. It's simply my lack of comic and character knowledge), your story is always a pleasure to read. You have a great mixture of drama, action, and tradgey, and the darker moments really show just how hellish the situation is for Tim, Greta, and their friends and family. I really can't praise you enough for this fic.

I also like emphasis you put on Tim's relationship with his family, especially the tension between him and Jack, because as much as I believe that Tim is an amazing hero, it's nice to see him as a teenager who struggles with his father as well. Dana is great; I love that she thinks of Tim as "her son in ever sense that mattered to her".

I admire the fact that have not forgotten the older Titans and manage to focus on them as well. Most stories that encompass such a wide-ranging cast might simply keep them as minor characters but I'm so glad you haven't. And you included the relationship between Gar and Raven! I'm a fan of the couple so when I see someone write them as well and realistically as you do, it's certainly a treat. I do hope they manage to have that talk soon.

You've got something very special here, and I can't wait to see what happens next. Really, you've got me on the edge of my seat so please update as soon as possible.
s82 chapter 16 . 6/4/2007
Another wonderful set of chapters. I love learning the back history and reading it as people's reactions come across. I adore the protectiveness of Tim in regards to Greta, but more so I love that fact that Greta isn't necessarily allowing him to take on the role; she knows what has to be done and is willing to do that.

I wonder if the two of them have ever sat down and chatted about how amost 75% of their actions are their attempt to right past wrongs... got to love that sense of responsibility.

It was lovely to see the old Titans together and chatting about the on-goings. Raven's proposal to Vic was spot-on; if anyone should be feared for what they are capable of, heck, that should def. be Raven. But it is true what her and Gar said: the younger Titans, though watched after and cared for by the others, are not quite to the level of family that the older Titans are. There is a lot of trust being extended by all sides now which is the only way in which they will probably be able to survive.

The fact that your story reads like a game of chess is captivating. It's like with ever chapter a piece is moved and one side will either have to attack of defend. Having YJ, Titan et al, finally on a bit of an offensive is great. Of course, that has me worried about what Harm and his gang will counter with.

Great work as always. I look forward to seeing Oracle revealed as well as what Harm has been up to since the Good Guys (tm) re-grouped.
arg914 chapter 16 . 6/3/2007
Wow - two chapters in one weekend. So much for me getting my gardening done. As usual, fantastic work. Your depiction of Tim and Greta is deeply moving. I loved how Raven worked through Vic's feelings and look forward to her conversation with Gar. This is one of but a few stories I anxiously await the next chapter. Please don't stop without finishing. It would result in the villagers rioting with pitchforks and torches at your door and really, who wants that?
Texas Chigger chapter 16 . 6/3/2007
Man, the action just don't stop, do it? ;)

Again, you've put forth an amazing chapter that I enjoyed greatly. I hate seeing poor Greta going through this, but at least she's got her friends (and Tim) there with her. Watching through Dana's eyes was also a nice way to go about it.

I'm glad Gar and Raven got Vic straightened out, as well. We don't need complications there. _ But what's Cissie's problem?

I can't wait to see Babs come in person. She's always so much fun. :) I admire her for stepping up to the plate like that, what with her paranoia and all that. Still, this'll be quite a change in the superhero community, won't it? As far as I know, only the batclan and a select few close friends know her identity.

Again, very well done - thanks a million for the quick update - and I hope to see more from you soon. :)

God bless.
Protector of Canon2 chapter 16 . 6/3/2007
Whoa... Babs is going masks off? Is she gonna tell them that she was Batgirl? Does Tim's dad know her? Too many questions! You must update!
phoenix83ad chapter 16 . 6/2/2007
Another wonderful chapter. Magnificant that way you approached each emotional aspect ranging from Greta's fear of revealing her family's history to the elder Titan's thoughts in regards to Secret.

I must say, I particularly enjoy the fact that Dana has such a prominent role in the story. I always rather liked her in the comics, due to her being able to bridge the things between Jack and Tim. I absolutely LOATHED how when they killed Jack, she went nuts and then seems to have been wiped from the DCU universe following the Infinite Crisis. Another good supporting cast member, forgotten in comic limbo...

I have to say I was very suprised by Cyborg in this chapter. At first, I was worried he was being taken out of his normal context. I mean, Cyborg has always been the foundation of the latest team, and so when he started glaring at Greta and talking about restrictions, I was rather shocked. Especially considering the fact the Teen Titans have an 'evil member' every other year. And considering Raven made the granddaddy of all evil attacks with Trigon, you'd think he'd be more considerate.

But then you once again suprised me in a good way. While Cyborg is the tin man with the heart of gold, he's an adult now. He doesn't let himself think by his emotions. Its one of the reason he was considered for JLA membership after the Crisis. So of course, despite the fact he likes Greta, the controlling adult super-hero mentality to to expect the worsecase scenerio, despite the fact it makes him look like a hypocrite. And then he realized he was making a stupid judgement call. He almost forgot himself. So, my initial fear of out of chracter writing for Vic was very unfounded and I thank you for that. :)

And I LOVED LOVED LOVED Raven verbally and morally bitchslapping Vic. After all the hell she's put the Titans through (literally), even considering treating Greta any differently form the rest of them would be hypocrisy. And I know Robin wouldn't stand for it.

Question though: When Martha and Johnathan are talking about Darkseid, Martha says “That self styled god captured my son and grandson, and has done horrible things to them both." I'm a tad confused here as Clark and Lois have no children. He has Superboy and Supergirl who are his cousins, but until recently in the post Infinite Crisis Action Comics (in which we are introduced to his Kryptonian foster son Christopher). So what grandson is she talking about?

Speaking of Supergirl, I'm assuming this takes place before Kara Zor-El lands on earth, right? I don't much like Kara (in her own book and in Legion of Super-Heroes. Though she's actually halfway decent in Brave and the Bold as she kinda has a Secret quality in that book), but if this were after she'd make for a good powerhouse supposedly.

Also, I just thought... shouldn't the Titans contact Lois Lane? I know she's not tight-close with Conner, but she is his in-law of sorts and wouldn't she be a possible target? Just a thought.

I'm very much looking forward to your next chapter, especially seeing Oracle in the field. As much as I absolutely love Cassandra Cain (before the Infinite Crisis), you gotta love the idea of the original Batgirl in action. My favorite issues of Birds of Prey involve Oracle kicking ass from her wheelchair.

As always, update soon.

P.S. Thanks for the review response. I'll respond to your response through the Private Message thing. ;)
Texas Chigger chapter 15 . 6/2/2007
I was so happy to see the chapter update alert in my inbox, and I was thrilled to death with the length of the chapter (thinking I'd be ready to see the chapter end by the time I got to the bottom), but as always, I was left wanting more - MORE! Your abilities have not slackened in the months since your last update. I absolutely loved every minute of this chapter.

Do you want me to go over all that I liked about it? Let's see what I've got. :)

I love the fact that you picked up exactly where you left off in the last chapter. Such a revelation needed to be dealt with in detail and even skipping a few minutes would have been bad. Very well done.

Everyone's reactions were bang on - right down to Jack feeling the need to point out that time travel can't happen (at least as far as he knew). I never thought of that angle - that ordinary people wouldn't be aware of all the odd and strange new kinds of technology the super heroes have to deal with on a daily basis. I just assumed it was understood by all. Again, very well done.

(And everyone giving Robin the blank stare was a nice touch. It's nice to feel that I'm not the only one completely blown away and lost by his computer jargon.) ;)

I continue to be amazed by your ability to come up with or recall or find all this information and put it together in a realistic way. You actually give the feeling of listening to these characters having a conversation and figuring things out. You don't give an information dump, and you don't leave us in the dark - you also manage to work it so that Robin actually sounds realistic. He's not explaining everything in laymen's terms because he's so used to this kind of thing that he takes it all for granted - and then he has to go back and explain it to the under-educated among them. Yet again, very well done. :)

And you've managed to keep all your characters around. So often, when dealing with this large of a crowd, authors tend to lose a couple somewhere - but you consistantly bring them forward where they ought to be. Bravo. :)

Also, the way you keep mentioning bits of the characters' pasts without going into depth is nicely handled. You use a light enough touch that it feels right. People don't always get explainations for all the inside jokes or memories of those around them, and you keep that feeling of being an outsider strong when using Dana's POV - as it should be. We don't want Dana to immediately be a member of the gang, so to speak, and I must applaud your talent there.

At long last they know. I'm glad. However, is this still the same day? I just realized that! Man - a lot has happened, hasn't it? Not bad for a single day of investigative work. Batman had better give Robin a pat on the back if and when he comes back.

Oh boy - we don't need Robin falling apart, however. He's already cracked too many times. I think his teammates and friends are beginning to worry. ;) Still, I always enjoy watching his thoughts about Greta. He's everything a good boyfriend should be. I thank you for that. :)

I don't know much (read: anything) about Speedy - but I get the feeling that she's got a crush on Robin? Poor thing - who can blame her? ;) Nice to have another member on the team, though. These guys can use all the help they can get right now. ;)

And the rest of the chapter was equally well done, but I'm out of time here. I have, however, received my notification of Chapter 16 being posted, and I'm ecstatic. I shall return ASAP and read and review. :)

One thing that I keep meaning to mention - one of my many "re-read throughs" of this wonderful story revealed to me that Dana was barefoot at the time of the attack on her house. Is she still barefoot? _

Again, amazing work, and I shall return soon. :)
Iudex Acerbus chapter 16 . 6/2/2007
Woot another great chap. Definitely good story telling to fill in the gaps. I really like using Dana as the the lense of a normal person during all of this.. it makes the plot more significant.

Can't wait for the next chap! Moonward bound!
Dark.Solitaire chapter 15 . 6/2/2007
WOW... this chapter was amazingly good. Good job, and good luck on hte next chapter, hope to see more soon
147 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »