Reviews for Contrite Spirits
nobodyshouldknow chapter 1 . 2/2/2014
Wow. this was great. xanders sense of humor and pain and sadness, and his interaction with faith is great. just the post-sunnydale fic /hurting xander fic i was looking for, and it had faith/xander friendship (or pre-friendship) too. I loved it. Especially the two african gods, faith bringing up anyanka, unaware shes anya, xander feeling guilty for her action and the bubler thing, and the two of THEM talking religion. Its funny, sad and sweet, and had a very uplifting end, contrasting nicely to the sadness.
Annjeela chapter 1 . 6/2/2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this story, although I almost laughed out loud at the thought of Anyanka as a saint.

It worked really well - good emotions, good premise.
AlternateAnything chapter 1 . 9/18/2011
I, well, wouldn't be surprised if it turns out you're some published author with a huge following. You write angst well. It's disheartening but not overwhelming or melodramatic. It wouldn't be a stretch for the Faith and Xander in this story to be as canonical as a post-BtVS situation can be.

The inclusion of St. Anya was painful. I kept waiting for Xander to say something, for him to slip and say she was his fiance, and I want so desperately to know what happens to day Faith discovers who Anya was to Xander. That is, if she ever does. It's definitely a whole new possibility, that's plausible AND imaginative.

The last scene with the Slayer they're looking for is so vibrant and I can almost hear and see the wood crack. I think it's something huge that you can make me feel something strong for a character that appears only briefly and is mentioned nearly as briefly.
RandomSelection chapter 1 . 2/28/2009
That's a very unusual and interesting story. You obviously put a lot of thought an work into it, and manage to show the characters of both Xander and Faith as they're rarely shown in fanfiction: No cliches, but real insights. Well done!
Fluffydog chapter 1 . 6/20/2006
Oh Yup Good story - like this one. Please keep writing excellent stories like this. Thank you! Well plotted and well characterised.
Faith has quit all fandoms chapter 1 . 1/24/2006
this is quite probably one of the best stories i've read. it is true yopu can never take the catholoic out of a girl, i know from pewrsonal experience. u got th details well, th candle lighting, th holy water, it was great

loved it-
Rebel Goddess chapter 1 . 1/16/2006
You're analysis of the gods are real therefore faith is not needed reminded me of something similar in Terry Pratchett and amused me so much. Rather enjoyed the whole Faith as a Catholic aspect too. I don't think Faith is physically capable of giggling. Also loved the Elvis obsession, well he is the King. Xander's pickpocket skills were very cool, even if the source was less so. Poor Sister Jeanne. I feel like you hit me in the gut with the Saint Anyanka bit (brilliantly thought out as it was). Bloody wonderful story. That was so much fun. More please. I especially enjoyed Xander's adventures with the African gods.
SecondSilk chapter 1 . 7/6/2005
Wow.

I took me a couple of goes to read it because it's longer than I thought.

You've got the interaction between Xander and Faith and the characters themselves. I loved Faith's reaction to the church, and the mental leap Xander is (eventually) able to make. The involvement of St Anyanka was quite moving. Xander's not wanting to know, his frozen reaction was very well protrayed.

And the story of the slayer they were finding, and the knowledge all of them has of what's going to happen was brilliantly written. The language you used to describe it worked very well.

There was a line I marked, but I can't remember it. The backstory was written very well into the relatively short scene between their arrival and the arrival of the novice slayer.
dogbertcarroll chapter 1 . 2/10/2005
Anya as a catholic saint fits somehow.
TheBear chapter 1 . 1/30/2005
that was

freaking amazing.

at the risk of sounding both pretentious and obsequious;

an intricately woven tapestry of guilt, pain, predestinations, and hope.

highly impactful every time i read it.
ThirdGorchBro chapter 1 . 12/1/2004
Like BastardSnow, I have read this story multiple times and have been delinquent about leaving a review. I don't even really know what to say, except that this story is one of the best I've ever read. Xander's misadventures in Africa, and his retelling to Faith, are pitch-perfect. And Faith's story about "Saint Anyanka" (and Xander's reaction) just blew me away. I hope you never get tired of writing Xander.
Bastard Snow chapter 1 . 9/24/2004
Liz, I absolutely love this story. I've probably read it a half-dozen times now, and finally decided "I should leave a review." Anyway, this is one of your better efforts (and trust me, that's saying something). Hope to see more from you soon (hint! hint!)
babies-stole-my-dingo chapter 1 . 9/2/2004
Oh, my! This is quite wonderful. Thoughtful and interesting, and I appreciate very much how respectful you were to Catholicism.
The Mardog chapter 1 . 8/17/2004
That was beautifully crafted,

funny, sad and as real as any fanfic

on this site
iscariot chapter 1 . 7/29/2004
Definitely deserves a sequel as the development potential for the characters is wonderful.

Certainly, Sister Jeanne, should get her own story possibly as a perspective on Xander and Faith and being a slayer.

As other reviewers have noted, there is a degree of subtlety/ restraint that is very well handled - however, certain aspects of the spiritual discussion get a bit clunky, fortnately, however, you don't make the mistake of getting all high-handed.