Reviews for Bloodlust
The Right Hand of Light chapter 15 . 10/13/2015
I've read this far and I'm stopping here because I do not think that you interpret these characters correctly or even reasonably. I hope you won't interpret this as a rude review but I'm going to be honest as possible because this was a story with an interesting premise and lots of potential and then it died.

First of all is Cal. I've read up to here and I honestly can't tell you what kind of a personality she has beyond being bloodthirsty and sarcastic. First of all, Cal's personality would not have flown over well in Han-dynasty China, especially with Cao Cao. Anyways, Cal's personality doesn't see much development at all. She doesn't seem to have any depth. I haven't seen a single hint at any sort of nuance to her character and she has no realistic flaws whatsoever. Just because she is defeated by a few opponents does NOT mean she is a flawed character.

The other big issue I have with this fic is the characterization of the other prominent characters. Let's start with Cao Cao. Cao Cao was famous for beheading people just because they brought him bad news—there is no way he wouldn't have had Cal killed for mouthing off or for trying to defect to Shu. Although I disagree with the common interpretation of Cao Cao as a malicious ruler, it is undeniably true that he was paranoid and hotheaded to the extreme. If Cal acted like she did, should have died sometime around chapter 3.

Besides Cao Cao, I'm very confused about the other characters. Lu Bu—why did you let him live? I find it highly unlikely that Cao Cao and Liu Bei, who both wanted Lu Bu dead, would have let Cal stop them from killing him. Even if Cal somehow managed to free Lu Bu, Cao Cao would have killed her immediately, and you know what, so would Liu Bei. Lu Bu was doomed the moment he was defeated, and it seems unrealistic for Cal to change such a major turning point in the war. Pang Tong and Liu Bei also seem a bit off. But Zhuge Liang is worse—and ultimately this is where I draw the line.

Look, I'm all for reinterpretations of characters. I think it's good to challenge historical conceptions of these figures—for example, the idea that Cao Cao was an evil jerk and that Liu Bei was a paragon of virtue, because that's simply not true—Cao Cao, although cruel, was a brilliant politician and Liu Bei is actually not as honest as he appears to be. This does not mean it's reasonable to take everything we know about a character and a real historical figure and invert it for the sake of inverting it. In the novel, videogames, and records of history, Zhuge Liang is recorded as being courteous, hardworking, and nothing short of brilliant (for example, he was able to predict the future occurrences of China for the next ten years in his Longzhong plan)—there's a reason why out of all of the tacticians in China's thousands of years of history, the people have chosen to honor him the most. He might have been a bit stuck-up, for sure, but he was ultimately a virtuous person. He dedicated his entire life to furthering the Shu kingdom even after Liu Bei, Guan Yu, and Zhang Fei died. I wouldn't have minded as much if you'd rewritten him to be less of a Nice Guy, but diminishing his strategic abilities and reducing him to a completely arrogant jerk who spends his time jeering at the generals and outright SCREAMING at Pang Tong is too unrealistic for me to ignore. Zhuge Liang had his disagreements with Liu Bei's generals sometimes, Guan Yu being one of them, but he would never display the kind of immature and petty behavior I saw him display in this story. I also read the reviews for this story and I saw that later you had him plot to assassinate Liu Bei? What!? Zhuge Liang dedicated his later life to Shu kingdom because of the promise he'd made to Liu Bei. He literally worked himself to death! Liu Bei and he were great friends and Liu Bei even said that finding Zhuge Liang was like "a fish finding water". This assassination plot device seems almost disrespectful. Listen, I get what you're trying to do with alternative histories and I'm normally all for that, but this seems like the height of unrealistic to me.

Ultimately, I'm left reading a story where the characters are all off, some of them extremely so, and the main character has very little development. This doesn't feel like the Three Kingdoms—it feels like an original story with the names of historical figures tacked onto the characters. Again, I hope you don't interpret this review as a rude attempt to heckle or even a "flame". The review section is to help writers improve, and that's what I'm trying to use it for.
marauder17245 chapter 5 . 12/31/2011
Well, all i can say is: Custom Characters are OP.
D chapter 45 . 7/25/2010
It took me quite a while to read up to this point, and I would love it if you updated again. In fact, I would love it if you kept updating and finished the story at some point with a wonderful ending. D; I hate good stories that are left to collect dust. It seems like such a waste.
Lord Musashi chapter 37 . 6/18/2009
This is a cool story! I'm not exactly finished but I'm on 37 Chapter. It was kinda funny.

"Naked, huh?"
Ritalyn chapter 45 . 12/13/2008
*jumps up and down* omg your back! yay! this story is too great to be left behind keep it up!
Aidis chapter 45 . 11/17/2008
Omg you're alive. But now I don't remember anything that's happened and I don't wanna review 45 chapters... Q.Q

-Aidis
Who Knoez chapter 1 . 7/28/2008
Eh / *waves hand*

Cool fic! D
dark bethilor chapter 44 . 5/24/2008
you ever gonna finish this
Reno chapter 44 . 12/17/2007
meatbun catapults XP love it!
Jentaro chapter 44 . 8/6/2007
Consider this 44 chapters worth of reviews. I just found this fic a few days ago, and I could not stop reading.

I really, really don't like original characters to tell you the truth. They always appear sue-ish, everybody loves them oh my god, perfect character, etc. But oh wow, I love you OC, she's amazing. A bit sue-ish at times, but all OC's no matter how normal they are.

The depictions of all the characters are done amazing as well. I really could see most of those things happening to the characters.

At times, I admit I lol'd especially hard. This is dona amazingly well.

I can't wait for the update.
SilentNinja chapter 44 . 7/31/2007
Great, it's Ms. Sun (I killed my husband with my greedy antics" Ruan Er. First appearance in Bloodlust. I pray to God, Liu Bei did NOT force an arranged marriage of Zhao Yun. Those needles really can kill him easily. It's not even funny...Oh and Ruan er is known to be as beautiful as Zhen Ji, shouldn't you write that, HarborRat?
TurMoiL911 chapter 44 . 7/30/2007
Whoa, an update. I was starting to think that you forgot about this story. Haha, just kidding. Anyways, great job with the story so far. You know, you should really think about updating the Dynasty Warriors GTA story you were writing.
HarborRat chapter 44 . 7/30/2007
An update
ZGMFHawke chapter 44 . 7/30/2007
Rofl Love the last part of this chapter the most with wei,good to see your back

And Ew I hate Dun with short hair gags*saw the screenshpts too*
SilentNinja chapter 43 . 2/4/2007
I like it, HarborRat. Always the pinnacle of DW fanfiction. Tch, took me long enough to tell you what I think about your masterpiece.