Reviews for A Thin Veneer
iacopo.passerini chapter 1 . 10/13
Ah vediamo una nuova storia!
kevinbarrrywarner chapter 17 . 7/13
Great writing, story.

HOWEVER...

Are you EVER going to explore the Gigantic Pink Whale in the room? Transporting an entire ship's crew into the vacuum of space the INSTANCE combat begins?!
Raistlin's ghost chapter 62 . 7/12
You mention in this chapter about the genetic degradation of the minbari and that it is caused by the mixing of minbari and human DNA. The problem with this is that in the Babylon 5 TV show (it also might have been mentioned in one of the movies)it mentions the "lessening" and drop in fertility has actually been happening for about 3 thousand years, well before Sinclair went back into the past. The person who mentioned it was Delenn.
Chaos-Mauler chapter 84 . 4/15
I remember reading this oh so many years ago on SB, I can't remember the time I took a break from SB but it was long enough that I can barely remember the latter two-thirds of this story. I think it was one of the reasons why I wanted to join SB as I wanted to get notifications on it.

Reading from start to finish has me enjoying it though I don't really think Chang had all that much justice done to him as well as the Klingons being quite so incompetent in terms of ship combat and ground skills. Certainly it seemed that their natural resilience to wounds appeared to be under sold. I'm not sure if the author ever got the chance to play Klingon Academy but it's a kind of an unofficial sequel to The Undiscovered Country and it really fleshes out Chang, making him more than just a sore loser as well his notion to start a combat school that winnows the chaff from the talented. Certainly I can not see any Klingon captain under Chang's leadership being drunk. I'd be surprised if the story isn't out there in Youtube for anyone to watch.

My only major criticisms of the story ignoring the above is a tendency to repeat things (in some cases entire paragraphs are copy/pasted into the following chapters) which feels like cheap padding after the umpteenth time someone goes through the loss of life of the Regulus colony and the twenty-eight million dead.

The number of spelling, grammatical and word errors peppered throughout the entire story. This is clearly a better than average fan fiction but the consistent volume of typing errors is jarring and having someone go through the story to iron these out would be much welcomed but the story has been finished for around a decade so I doubt there'll be any chance of that.

The follow up only has two chapters and I hope the sequel has a regular update rate as nothing kills a desire to read a good story than an inconsistent release schedule.

Lastly, I want to thank the authors for a good story so far and I hope to see more from them in the future.
Brenden1k chapter 73 . 2/22
Not sure the offer of surrender makes sense to reject, if they are going to repay earth alliance for all the destroyed worlds, they would pay there due and payment ea gives them for death of there leader seems reasonable, they crossed many lines, but they offered repayment for the lines crossed and in the process accepting they are in the wrong.
ThanosofTitan chapter 84 . 10/6/2020
So you're going to continue eventually or not? It's unclear.
Carycomic chapter 84 . 9/19/2020
Well, I'll give you this, Al. You're unlike most other authors, who've left their stories permanently incomplete here, in one important respect. You were courteous enough to explain WHY the story is being left unfinished!

I also applaud your modesty and sincerity in acknowledging how much b.t.s. help the other authors you mentioned gave you.

So, thank you- -and them- -for this massive epic.

I'm now off to whet my literary appetite with the opening chapters of those two apparent sequels.
justjoe chapter 84 . 9/15/2020
Well, I have a lot of thoughts on this. However, I will simply say this. I'm glad that you have finally made peace with moving on from this story.
MUADIB1 chapter 84 . 9/12/2020
been reading this ,and others of this story, since ..forever/ loved them all .loved this me, you and your group of writers .collectively are the modern frank herbert,isaac asimov, A. , etc. the depth and substance of these stories is as sophisticated as their are among the best there is, thanks for the cool ,almost two, the best you dude.
gphoenix51 chapter 45 . 9/11/2020
When I read what the names of the Gorn ships were, not to mention their shipbuilding program, I laughed my ass off.

I'm really, really enjoying this story. I watched Babylon 5 all the way to the end of the Shadows war and was rather unsatisfied. Most of the main characters were ok, some of the stories were really good, but the overall Shadows arc and what the Shadows and Vorlons ended up really being left a sour taste in my mouth. The Minbari were no better really, all that kept them from annihilating a far weaker race that posed no threat to them was a complete fluke. Other than what Delenn eventually became, I never really liked any of them.

Really like this story, hope it's finished one day. It's spectacular so far!
Kevral chapter 1 . 9/11/2020
Thank you all. I've read the story (as well as its siblings) over the course of years and loved it/them. Thank you amd all the other authors and contributers for your amazing ideas, vision and penmanship. Its truly appreciated and congratulations on a story well told.
Guest chapter 84 . 9/10/2020
Soo... full chapter 83 and epilogue, when?
Looperst chapter 73 . 9/10/2020
Wait, if there was a Stargate and a Goa’uld on Quonos in Kahless’s time, then why are, say, the Asgard not intervening in the war on the Federation’s behalf?
ShadowCub chapter 84 . 9/9/2020
Thank you AlbertG. I can tell a lot of hard work went into the worldbuild and story. Looking forward to its continuation in any form.
Guest chapter 84 . 9/9/2020
I have always thought that this is one of the best stories I've ever read. I'm sorry that it is not completely wrapped up, but you need to do what is best for you.
Thank you for the ride. All the best.
1,797 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »