Reviews for In Umbar, at the docks
Under.a.floorboard.world chapter 1 . 7/21/2011
Very intriguing and beautifully written. I've always wondered about this character and you really made her come to life.
Sphinx chapter 1 . 8/4/2004
Brilliant story. Absolutely brilliant. My favourite of your stuff so far.

Umbar had such...character.

I love this.

Sphinx
Princess of Dol Amroth chapter 1 . 7/17/2004
I love all your stories, Werecat, but this one is probally my favorite.

The viewpoint you chose works so well, and the un-named narrator really adds a nice touch. I can imagine tales of Beruthiel would be common along the quays of Umbar, and the more observant might truely make the connection of an old beggar with the fallen queen.

Beruthiel returning to Umbar to haunt the streets as a mad, old crone fits somehow. With nowhere else to return, and her cats the only family she had, where else would she turn up but upon the docks that she had once called home?

The regret over her childlessness is a nice touch, too. And the way she uses the cats to consule herself. I also liked your reference to her still having a Queen like countenance when remembering Gondor and her breif reign there.

I cannot find anything to critise, and so I will just end this by saying - me and my kitten (who is lieing in my lap) approve. Well done!
Tindomiel chapter 1 . 7/8/2004
*Applauds*

I love the way this is told, like a narrative around a campfire. I love the way you portray Beruthiel's character. In a way, we all know that she survived the ship voyage, but you show a wonderful, if tragic, insight into what happened after.
kingmaker chapter 1 . 7/6/2004
Very intriguing little sequel. The picture you've painted of the city seems so real, and such a myth as the sad ending of a barely-noticed footnote was very well done.
Dame Niamh chapter 1 . 7/5/2004
Another beautiful story! A compelling portrait of the "nefarious, solitary and loveless" Queen Beruthiel, and her strange end. As always, you draw your portraits in black and white - and silver. Blessed be!

Dame Niamh
Varia Lectio chapter 1 . 7/5/2004
Good thing I just got my copy of Unfinished Tales- now I can read the story of the Cat Queen for myself! :) I simply love this, as well as your tale about the origins of the Mouth of Sauron. Your writing is beautiful, poetic, and lyrical, yet clear and understandable. This is incredible work, and since I love all things Umbar and Umbaritish, this is going on my favorites list.

Hope to see another chapter of the Mouth of Sauron story, very soon- I can't wait to see what happens to him! :)
Nol chapter 1 . 7/4/2004
I can't tell you how marvellous this story is. It's gritty and plausible. Your style is lovely, marking the thin line that divides the real from a very tangible surreal, so well. The cats are like malevolent deities at the docks, and so is she.

Brilliant, Werecat. I love this.