Reviews for Smoke and Mirrors
Joban chapter 40 . 8/14/2012
Haha! It's the summer of 2012 and here I am reading your story written in 2004! It was amazing! I loved all the different view points and how you included all the characters. Everyone of the charcuterie were portrayed/ written correctly, and I loved that so much! I also liked how you showed just how long it actually took for Frodo to heal, because lots of people would have just cut to...and he was healed! You did an excellent job at writing this story!
EverlilyLotr101 chapter 31 . 5/24/2011
awesomeness of the people
elfgirllygirl chapter 31 . 9/11/2010
Twelve is very young age, for a soldier. Eventhough twelve year olds are too young to fight in battle; I would rather see twelve year old boys then five and six year old boys fight. That is why I hope that no child under ten or eleven was forced to fight in helms deep. (Not that I like to ten and eleven year olds fight) A five or six year old boy would not have been strong enough to weild a sword and would probably have tried to flee. Battles are very frightening to grown men and older boys. It would have been too much for a small child to handle and they would have no chance against an Urak or a Wild man.
Haurvatat chapter 40 . 6/29/2010
I just finished reading ALL FORTY CHAPTEEEEEEEERS. I need sleep, but it was so completely worth it.

You have a wondrously mature prose style, which really fits right in with the Middle-Earth setting without sounding pretentious (a feat I have yet to achieve, I'm sad to say). There were occasional little blips (i.e. a misspelled word or a missing quotation mark) that tripped me up, but those are all mechanical errors that anyone could miss and have little to nothing to do with your actual skill as a writer. Nothing a kickass beta or two couldn't fix in a heartbeat.

One of your Author's Notes somewhere in here (don't ask me where; I have no hope of finding it now) mentioned something about you wanting to write this fic because of all the scenes or whatever when characters recover miraculously and with seemingly no effort. I must admit, you struck a chord with that one. I absolutely hate it when a character is injured or ill in one scene (or episode, or chapter, or panel) and in the next is, inexplicably, all better. BULL. SHIT. While the particulars of vomiting and excrement and suppositories (ew, by the way) may raise super-awkward and conflicted reactions, it was an unflinching, REALISTIC approach to illness and injury, which I appreciate much more than any candy-ass mass media-supported approach.

I also was loving on the range of emotion you can portray. I'm quite certain I would have gotten quite sick (pun absolutely intended) of this fic if not for the scenes in which my favourite characters are at their best. It's pleasant to see them at both their best and their worst, and in most fics, authors shy away from depicting both, opting instead to pick one of the two and stick with it. Once again, it's a candy-ass approach. Merry and Frodo getting drunk? Gold. Absolute gold. I get the strong feeling that it was fun to write, too - granted that you didn't tire of writing the drunken speech style. The whole thing with the white tree - actually, the entire last chapter was strangely uplifting for me, as well. I'm a big nature fan - not quite a tree-hugger, as it were, but there are few other words to describe a girl who will ruin her hair and clothes dancing in the middle of a thunderstorm because the rain feels good. Dirt is not precisely my thing, but I have a strong affinity for weather people commonly acknowledge as "dangerous". Hobbits WOULD love nature quite a bit, wouldn't they? I read the books (well, book - I only read Fellowship and a wee bit of Two Towers) AAAAAAGES ago, so I don't recall if Tolkien mentioned their love of nature or not, but either way, I walked away from the books with that impression. Nothing really does compare with a good breeze on a spring day while you sit in the shade of a tree. Except a nice hurricane, but maybe that's just me. ;

The Bird needs a name, so I shall give him one. I'm thinking either Mr. Tiddlywinks or Bartholomew. Personally, I'm partial to the latter.

...When I explained to my sister that Merry is completely inebriated in one scene, she said, "That's how I like my hobbits." Not sure if I ought to be worried.

Either way, just say no.

Wonderful story and I'm sorry I couldn't have given support while it was still being written,

-Brynna
JumpingWolf chapter 40 . 6/23/2010
This is, by far, the most amazing Frodo-centered Fanfic I've ever read. You made me feel the same emotions the characters felt throughout the story, and ended it with a message of hope.

I thank you so much for writing this amazing piece of fanfiction.

Much love,

JumpingWolf
fliflflifli chapter 40 . 5/1/2010
Oh! Oh! Can I be a Mary Sue in your story? I have all the characteristics of one. I am a teanager who fell into middle earth. I have the most beautiful golden blond hair anyone had ever seen. I am more beautiful than all the female elves including arwen and all the male elves, humans, hobbits, and dwarves fell in love with me. I am also a perfect sword fighter. I singlehandedly defeated all the orcs in one of the battles.
bethahnee chapter 5 . 3/31/2009
HI! I saw that this story had 99 reviews and I decided to be the hundredth. I've read this before but now I'm re-reading it... It's still good! You probably don't remember me, but I followed your Phantasm story to completion and reviewed like every chapter... I have also checked out your watercolor site and I like your paintings!

Anyhoo... I'm gonna keep reading now. Happy 100th Review-niversary!

- Anargil :)
Within Imagination chapter 40 . 2/21/2008
Wow. This story was amazing. I liked it. You're a very good author.
Iva1201 chapter 40 . 8/5/2006
Hey, I just meant I would share with you - this was my first LOTR fanfiction and probably as well my last (as I am desparately trying to cure my addiction to fanfiction - not that it would be that bad but I REALLY NEED TO WRITE ON MY UNIVERSITY THESIS AND SOME ESSAYS). And well, what to say - I normally read Harry Potter but I like this kind of stories about healing. I hate the need of make my favourite characters to suffer for it but I really do enjoy when they are slowly getting better. You fic was great in this - as well as the fact you write this great and manage to keep the spirit of the story. Many people don't. So thanks very much for this nice piece of imagination. (-:
ADHD chapter 40 . 4/23/2006
WOW! Certainly one of the BEST stories Ive ever read! Cant wait to read your story phantasm! You have a new fan here now! I love you!
perfect writer chapter 40 . 7/21/2005
I am a perfect writer. My stories are perfect. Everyone should bow to me.
Corbin Slate chapter 40 . 5/13/2005
Holy Crap! I must say that I really, really liked this story a whole lot. I stayed up late to read it two nights in a row when I had to work early in the morning. It takes a special story to make me stay up late to read it. You have a wonderful chemistry between the characters, and great detail throughout the entire thing. Anywho... I enjoyed this so very much. Thanks for sharing it, and good luck with anything else that you write!
bethahnee chapter 19 . 3/29/2005
This is a very good story from what I have read so far. But I can't help but point out two 'glaring errors' as you put it. First of all, in one of the previous chapters, you were talking about the tower of Baradur. I'll check the book, but I think the spelling of that is 'Barad-dur.'

and you keep on saying althelas instead of athelas. if althelas is an herb i don't know about that just looks like athelas and you are using the word correctly, then that's okay and I just need to read up on my herbs more.

this is one long review. I still love this story! don't take my comments badly, it's just constructive criticism.

Anargil _
ShireElf chapter 40 . 10/6/2004
oh . . .my . . . gosh. I am so envious of you! You wrote such a beautiful story on your first try and it was written in a matter of months. Beautiful, though, most definately. You had me captivated on this last chapter; I was really afraid that we would lose our dear Frodo.

Once again, congratulations on this wonderful piece of work and thank you for sharing it with us on
ShireElf chapter 38 . 10/5/2004
Ah . . . that is a good point, though: the animals having a wariness to evil . . . hmm. At least the bird has a point of view in this story so we can see what he is thinking . . .

I loved the conversation between Frodo and Sam . . . that would probably be the whole chapter. Anyways, it was beautifully written. Just beautiful. Lovely chapter, as always.

I do have a question, though. I have another story coming up and I want to know if you would beta it for me. I sent you an e-mail about it, but I don't know if you got it or not. Please, respond in a review!