Reviews for The Machine That Changed the World
som chapter 1 . 2/11/2018
the printing press is one of china's greatest inventions XD
aquamare chapter 1 . 11/12/2015
Leave it to Amrothos!
Length of a table, the reek of oils...at first I thought the Geek Prince had invented a CAR.

Rociriel
chisscientist chapter 1 . 2/15/2014
A shame Amrothos can't meet Celebrimbor. I think it would be an interesting meeting.
LadyoftheShield chapter 1 . 8/5/2010
Hmm... definitely a treat! The title was amazing! Amrothos' protection of his brainchild was so real!
Emily chapter 1 . 1/27/2010
Don't know if I like the idea of a printing press in Middle Earth. After all, you know where those led US. And that's really not my picture of Middle Earth. : (

But the last line was good. : )
duj chapter 1 . 6/2/2009
Saruman had a mind of metal and wheels, and he wrought great mischief thereby. Elphir and the Order of Scriveners will not be the only ones horrified by Amrothos's discovery.

I believe what made the difference in our world was not the idea of printing per se but the invention of movable type. It takes much longer to carve out a design than to ink it, rendering the process infeasible for the production of anything less than large quantities.
Hunchbook chapter 1 . 2/20/2008
Awesome. A little confusing for those of use who haven't read HoME, but only about Faramir's verse. All in all good job. I'm glad you took into account that, while a printing press is all well and good, the removable type (which you displayed through Aragorn picking one up to examine it) is the true innovation that allows for mass publication. Great job
SilentLaurel chapter 1 . 8/26/2007
I LOVE it!
Soledad chapter 1 . 11/12/2006
Gutenberg would be so proud... *g*
TangerineBreeze chapter 1 . 7/25/2005
Very interesting! Giving an object it's own 'Middle-Earthian' history, great concept, and it certainly got me thinking. Well-written, and the dialouge is very believable.
RavenLady chapter 1 . 3/27/2005
Well done! And what an idea. I like Faramir's take on Zimrahil, and I'm surprised and intrigued to hear that it has a basis in Tolkien (I've never read that book, or encountered a reference to that bit. Very interesting.)
sielge chapter 1 . 9/8/2004
This was a interesting story! Original and well writed. Thank you for sharing it with us!
Galatyn Renner chapter 1 . 7/27/2004
Nicely done. Reminiscent of The Truth by Terry Pratchett, The Guild of Engravers will not be pleased...

G. R.
wellduh chapter 1 . 7/6/2004
All I can think of to express myself is tha rather unsophisticated word, "AWESOME!" That is a really good idea.

Keep writing!
Raksha The Demon chapter 1 . 7/6/2004
A fascinating short story. The printing press WILL change the world of Middle-earth, in more ways than the four wise men could ever imagine, but I find myself a little sad at the prospect.

I liked Faramir's take on Ar-Pharazon and Zimrahil, and the contrast between Amrothos, the genius idealist, and Elphir, the well-meaning bureaucrat.