Reviews for Il Principe
darkknight uk chapter 15 . 7/21/2008
Well, this is a first for me. Reviewing the same piece twice.

Having read the story in its entirety (in one sitting, might I add, which is rare for me), I felt the need to once again commend you on this effort.

The premise and its execution are brilliant. Catcher in the Rye meets Apt Pupil in the DC Universe.

I disliked Allen in all the ways I was supposed to but felt for him at the same time, much in the same way as we dislike Faust for his arrogance but we still mourn his damnation.

Gems like this are rare in the world of fan fiction and I dare say I'll be reading this treasure a few more times in the future.

Now, on to the sequel...
darkknight uk chapter 1 . 4/17/2007
I'll be frank. I wasn't expecting to enjoy this story. I'm not predisposed to like anything that's written in the first person and narrated by a precocious teenager. I did, however, grow to enjoy this story despite my preconceptions.

There's something about seeing the DC universe through the eyes of an outsider (not one of THE outsiders... you know what I mean!) that makes it that much more fresh and exciting. I got a kick out of walking through the Metropolis streets at night with Allen the night he has his encounter with Tim. Your writing displays not only an admirable knowledge of the DC universe but your eloquence and diction imply an intelligence which lends itself well to the story. To have an unusually bright protagonist will only work if the author has a degree of intelligence themselves, at least on a superficial level, and the protagonist here is well sculpted. That isn't to say I like him, well, I suppose I do like him, begrudgingly, and I think that's exactly how he was constructed. I'm only about half way through the story so may submit another review but I just wanted to put pen to paper (figuratively) in light of what I've read so far.

You've earned yourself a space on my favourite author's list.
Gokitalo chapter 1 . 2/12/2005
An excellent story with strong characterizations and an intriguing, down-to-earth plot. You have successfully completed one of the hardest tasks there is when creating an original character- you've made him intriguing, relatable, and someone I enjoy reading about. Your take on Lex Luthor is also excellent: it is, undoubtedly, one of the strongest and most insightful interpretations of the character I've seen. There were only a few minor boo-boos I spotted: for example, when Allen met hope, he was 5'10", but when we first see him with Sara, his height is stated as 6 feet. But this is just a minor flaw in an otherwise top-notch story. Two thumbs up
markmark261 chapter 15 . 9/5/2004
Great story. The last chapter reminded me a bit of that old John Byrne story where Lex offered a million dollars to a waitress. I'm glad Allen made the decision he did - hope he doesn't live to regret it.

For once I can't find anything to criticise in the story, so I'll have to resort to pointing out that the first sentence of the last chapter's Author's Note seems to have lost a website name.
markmark261 chapter 14 . 8/14/2004
As I stated in my earlier review I wasn't really sure where the story was going after Chapter 1, but the story really took off with Chapter 2 and I've been really enjoying it ever since. You write a great Lex Luthor. Lots of things I like so far - the Baldy awards, the use of 1940 as the room number at the hotel and as the year of the Scotch (I'm assuming this is a reference to Lex's debut year), the reference to the Flash and Superman's annual race, Allen's reply to his mother's "Did I ... hear you right, son?" in Chapter 3.

No real compliants at all, just churlish nit-picking. In Chapter 2 Lex says that 75% of Metropolis works for him and then goes on to say that four million out of the nine million residents work for him, which is more like 45%. Also I was a bit confused about the last sentence in Chapter 13 where it says that Tim/Robin had a way of getting the final word since it was Allen who actually had the last words.
daveykins chapter 5 . 7/19/2004
This is a very very interesting story indeed!

Keep up the great work.
markmark261 chapter 1 . 7/10/2004
The story's well written so far, and interesting, although I'm not exactly sure where it's going.

My only incredibly-trivial quibble is your use of the Roger Stern Bypass, which actually distracted me from the story while I tried to remember if Stern had ever actually written Superman (I know him more for his Marvel work)- personally I'd have just called it the Stern Bypass (creators' first names don't usually make it into comic-related location names, e.g. Smallville's Loeb bridge, Gotham City's Finger Alley and the like, every street name in Astro City). Much more successful was your use of Sullivan Street where I wasn't sure if it was in tribute to Chloe or Vin or both.