Reviews for Not Even Human
Space Dorito chapter 20 . 9/25/2013
No reviews since 2008? What is this?
I rather enjoyed the uniqueness of this story. So many Edward Scissorhands stories are about some girl wandering up to the mansion and falling in love with him, but not this one. Besides a good imagination, you also write very well.
FreeSpiritedOne chapter 20 . 2/20/2008
I thought about your story all day today at work. I've never done that before. This resonated with me for reasons I don't understand yet.

I do know I loved your portrayal of Edward. He was sensitive, child like and lovely. I enjoyed how he grew throughout the story, how he found his own voice. I nearly cried for him when he was a bug with it's legs being pulled off. I almost stopped reading.

Then I encountered Victoria who reminded me way too much of the hypocritically judgemental people I grew up around. I deeply disliked her (though she was very well written). When I began to think the narrative was siding with her and that your beautiful story was descending into some sort of evangelical salvation of the damned story I almost stopped reading...but I didn't. I'm glad I didn't because the narrative remained neutral.

My one critisism, which is not so much critical as wishful, is I did not understand the motivation of Kennedy. On the one hand he was a modern day Dr. Frankenstein with the coolest science project ever, but at the same time he treated his robot project with humanity. It would have been too easy to make him one or the other and I like that you chose to juxtapose, but I wish the internal conflict it must have caused him was more fleshed out.

The way you ended the story was the only way it could end and remain true to your original vision. I think a lot of writers shy away from bitter truths, but you didn't and I appreciate that.

I have read hundreds of stories here, but yours is the first to stick in my mind like this which seems to be the greatest compliment I can offer. Cheers, Free
M. Night Wolfalona chapter 20 . 2/6/2008
Wow. This story was just-wow, SO good. I absolutely LOVE the movie and you've done an absolutely beautiful job with this story. I hope you write another one soon. Toodles. e (that's supposed to be a scissorhand, but, I dunno, maybe...) Well, bye! And please write again!
BookRose chapter 10 . 12/22/2007
It's nice to revisit this story. Anyway, I still think you could have had a scene where Edward tries to explain, but Victoria being Victoria could put the pieces of the puzzle together mostly herself. I even have a little ficlet written where she sorta does that if you really want to know. Anyway, if you aren't going to finish Teatime and Fairy Stories or Basement Monster, now would be a good time to go ahead and take it down, cause if you know for sure, it would be best cause people would rather read a finished story thats fantastic from beginning to end instead of a story thats fantastic all the way until an unfinished point. If there's no way to satisfy your craving to know what happens at the end, then you end up like the crew of the Black Pearl-and who wants that? LOL. Anyway, you've got an original novel going on? WOW, I cannot wait til it's published and you've told us exactly what it is, title, full author name and summary. Squee, thats so exciting! Hope the process goes well for you. Good luck!

BookRose
RaeLaser1 chapter 20 . 6/28/2007
Masterpiece.

Now i shall kidnap you and force you to write stories for me all day long! Mwahahahahahahah!

;k

Seriously though, i'm starting my own fanfic, and i'd appreciate it if you'd look me up and comment. Please? ;)
Official Rambler chapter 12 . 3/2/2007
Just wanted to say that so far, this story is brilliant.

*cough*

But, um, you can't really OD or die from weed. The kid's symptoms sound more like he was given oxycodon. Which can fsck you up good, if you have a low tolerance for drugs then just one can mean overdose and death.

...And before you ask, I know this because I'm a morbidly curious wanna-be private detective. _ don't do drugs.
Da More Fishy chapter 1 . 2/18/2007
I loved this story I read it very offten and I think that you did well on portraying Edward. P

x7r
MemoryLoss is now Sugarave chapter 20 . 12/15/2006
I absolutly love this story! Almost made me cry *sniff*

:,)
BookRose chapter 20 . 9/13/2006
It's here?

*eyes pop*

OMG! OMG! It's really here! You did it! Yay! Yipee! Whoo-hoo! YEEHAH!

I'm so very happy! A wonderful, marvelous, splendiferous end!

It's a good ending overall but a little constructive criticism. Honestly I think you should have shown Edward explaining to Victoria what REALLY happened, telling how it did, why it did so that you aren't left with this sense of "Okay, does she still even really like him?" Also, she should apologize for saying those things to Edward when they aren't true. They weren't true when he had the scissorhands and they aren't true now. Gosh I really hope you keep writing. Your style is so artistic and enjoyable. Do you reckon you'll ever do a POTC fic? I think it'd be very interesting coming from you.

BookRose
Too Lazy chapter 20 . 8/23/2006
Very lovely...
Spinder-UndeadBallerina chapter 20 . 8/20/2006
*sigh*...

you...are truly gifted
Margarine's Paraffin chapter 20 . 8/18/2006
This has to be the perfect ending. Edward "finds solace" being alone, and I think he actually likes the castle very much. It must feel like a santuarary to him. Also I can't imagine Edward ever having a romantic relationship with Victoria or anyone except Kim... and I'm glad you never forced anything. He and Victoria should be friends, but nothing else. So I commend you for not tampering with a very delicate character/plotline situation.

The description of emeralds on a jagged rock compared to the leaves on the castle... was beautiful. I can tell your sense of description has developed since you started writing this. It always was good, but now I can tell it's become beautiful and masterful.

Loved the confrontation between Victoria/Edward. I listened to "The Final Confrontation" on the Edward Scissorhands CD and it really fits. The emotions are so real and cutting (excuse the pun)! Plus, it fits Victoria to solve the matter for herself,rather than wait until someone gets around to tell her. I can picture her rummaging through her apartment, like the way you described it.

I am glad that this story ended on sucha bittersweet note, like the movie did. In reality, it *was* a happy ending, albeit not a conventional or romantic one.

A beautiful story with a great ending, I hope you write more on the Edward section or in general. Actually I honestly think you should get yourself published, write your own book, because this story is proof of talent. I hope you will.

*Margarine's Paraffin*
Margarine's Paraffin chapter 19 . 8/18/2006
Aw. I was missing Edward & Lucy conversations. Lucy's the perfect little sister. Feel so rotten for Edward. I hope this all turns out well. *crosses fingers*
Margarine's Paraffin chapter 16 . 8/18/2006
Nice. Edward naturally has chics follow him ;) Victoria's reaction was very funny, considering she's talking about having a heart attack, when she's, like, only 20 something. I get the feeling she thinks she's older than she really is.

And I thought it was fun that Edward's working at a diner.

Kennedy is a weirdo. I don't like him. Victoria seriously shouldn't be wasting her time with him. And I'm glad she stormed off.

And so the Walters are going to come for Christmas... ! Heck yeah. Should be interesting to read.

Once again, lovely!
Margarine's Paraffin chapter 14 . 8/18/2006
Nice chapter!

Funny, but I was listening to Panic! At the Disco's "Build God, Then We'll Talk" ... and it seems to fit Victoria, with her religiousness and slight craziness. Yet with sort of a Victorian touch.

Poor Edward... his own friend saying such things. Without her even knowing. It made me tear up.

Yeah! Girl power! Victoria's cool. She's very strong, almost femininist, even though she's fundamentally religious. I'm glad she told Edward to say up yours to Ken. :)