Reviews for Just Desserts
Exe chapter 1 . 9/25/2015
I kind of get where you're coming from, but the execution bugs me a bit. To start with, Yami's characteristics are flanderised - he doesn't think he's a god and outright says so in Millennium World, nor does he always think he's right. He admits his mistakes, even if he is confident in his abilities.

Secondly, everyone seems a bit OOC here. Yugi also believes in the power of friendship, as much as Yami does, yet here he lectures him about it despite the fact both of them are canonically frustrated with Kaiba's behaviour. Worse still, he implies that the people Yami punished could have been easily forgiven - despite the fact that in the manga most of the people that bullied Yugi would often have done worse things to him like beating him senseless or stealing from him if Yami hadn't stopped them. In the manga, Yugi is also aware of the Penalty Games Yami uses and NEVER ONCE COMPLAINS. To have him get all judgmental here makes him seem both weak and a hypocrite.

Additionally, you basically have the entire cast disliking or hating Yami for the purposes of the fic. When he's friends with them!

But my biggest problem is that you basically answered your own question from within the fic - you point out Yami should have gone to the cops about Ushio, then have Yami confused about what the cops are within the story! And this is a big reason the fic does not work - Yami is 3,000 years old and spent much of that time isolated in the Puzzle. When he comes out, the only things he knows are that he has some sort of Millennium Power and desire for justice, so he grasps at doing the one thing he knows - protecting and stopping wrongdoers. But he's from Ancient Egypt - he doesn't know what the cops are, and doesn't know that his ironic illusions are kind of overkill for this day and age.

I admit S0 Yami definitely takes it to overkill status. We don't know what happens to Goro or how bad the bomb is, so it's pretty darn chilling. But if you wanted to do a fic exploring that, it'd be better if the whole story didn't seem set up to punish an exaggerated caricature of him, with characters acting OOC or just ridiculous by comparison (casting Kaiba as the good guy? really?) since then it's impossible to feel sympathy for anyone or feel invested in anyone's viewpoint.
Anon chapter 1 . 1/10/2015
Okie dokie... this might be a slightly long one.

First off, I definitely don't think Yami's perfect and he has some 'flaws' to put it mildly. But there's a couple of issues that I had with the construction of the story:

- Firstly, the characterisation of Yami and the story as a whole was too one sided, just to get a point across. Yami never forces anyone to play a game, and the games aren't rigged so that they will lose. The only condition is that they must not cheat. While Kaiba certainly doesn't have to agree with Yami's views on friendship, Yami was never trying to force him to - most of the time, he was pointing out that it was Kaiba's vehemence about being strong alone, and the hatred he nurtured for Yugi and Gozaburo that caused him to lose, whereas Yami has a more positive support to fall back on when he gets stressed. Again, I admit that Yami is prideful, but he isn't unwilling to admit when he's wrong, and doesn't think he's always right, such as when he promises not to go against Yugi's wishes after Kaiba threatened suicide in their match. Either way, it's hard to argue Yami is more villainous than Kaiba, when the latter is trying to prove himself the best, even if it means killing others, while the former is usually trying to protect Yugi and possibly only severely injured the criminal in the burger joint who was holding Anzu hostage at the time.

-However, the biggest problem I have here is that Yugi is a complete hypocrite under this characterisation. There's a moment in volume 6 of the manga when a kid is hurt playing a game and Yugi asks to borrow his fighting doll with the implication that he wants Yami's help to fix the situation. He is actively courting the spirit without knowing his methods, as at this point Yugi still felt it merely as a verbal blackout. In other words, the Yugi of the manga did not realise or consider what Dark Yugi might do. In addition to this, some the bullies in the YuGiOh manga were out and out psychopaths - the first one, Ushio, was implied to be someone who extorts money. Granted, Yami didn't need to stick him in a permanent illusion, but it's implied that Ushio intended to keep taking money from Yugi, and was so formidable that even the teachers were afraid of him. And because Yugi has no backbone whatsoever in the early volumes, he would never have been able to stand up to any of the bullies he encounters. I'm guess what I'm saying here is that it's easy for Yugi to criticize when he can just be protected without having to do any of the hard stuff, like being brave or standing up for himself.

Again, I grant Yami doesn't need to drive all of them nuts, and I personally don't agree with punishment just for punishment's sake- the only Penalty Game I can get behind is when he destroys Kaiba's heart in an effort to rehabilitate him, because then Kaiba can come back with at least a slightly improved persona.

I think the thing to remember is that YuGiOh was originally planned as a horror story, so it seems to have been originally implied that Yami was just a split personality who would deal with whatever was needed for the villain that chapter. Then it became arc based, and once the tournament came in the character needed to be retooled into a straight out hero, so he developed past the Penalty Games.

...Whew. All that being said, it is amusing to see reality ensuing and the cops getting involved, as they seem not to exist/are totally incapable of doing anything in the manga.
Una Chica con Internet chapter 1 . 11/30/2014
Well...I can say that at the beginig, he was insane... sometimes he was extreme, but I don't think that he was evil, only ruthless and sadist.
Velgamidragon chapter 1 . 4/25/2009
Woah... I think your hatred toward Yami is a bit on the extreme side and though I don't agree with his penalty games, you have to remember that in ancient Egypt, the one who decided people's punishments was the Pharaoh regardless of how fair it really was.
Isis the Sphinx chapter 1 . 7/6/2006
This is something I haven't seen before. An unusual take on the opinion of the Penalty Games. Everyone is allowed their opinion, so this is no flame. Keep writing!
Orangeyougoingtodeletethis chapter 1 . 1/29/2005
THANKYOU, it's about time someone did a story about this. I read the first couple manga books that just came out, and Yami's "penalty games" started to get annoying. I almost felt sorry for his victims.
Lady-Christian-Knight-88 chapter 1 . 10/27/2004
You know what? I've never thought of the penality games that way ether...but...just...wow. Great story...I remember that magna issue...and all this is just...just...crazy. Oh man...wonderful story! Loved it!
Yami No Marik chapter 1 . 10/26/2004
I don't really like how people treat Yami as a saint. He's one of my least favorite characters but I don't think he's evil. I just think he's very protective of little Yugi and he has reasons to be because many people want to harm little Yugi. I agree with the phrase "Only God can Judge me" so I don't like the fact that Yami seems to think he can judge people. I like Yugi over Yami anyday. I didn't think anyone hated Yami.
skullandcrossstitch chapter 1 . 10/5/2004
MY BISHI IS NOT VILLAINOUS! LEAVE YAMI ALONE! HE IS JUST TRYING TO PROTECT HIS HIKARI! HE COULDN'T BE EVIL, HE WAS PHAROAH IN EGYPT, WHICH MEANS THAT HE HAD TO BE FAIR!

LEAVE HIM ALONE!
LeeElvenProtector chapter 1 . 10/1/2004
_ Awesome! Yami gets payback time! _ Great job! I like it.
HoukaDoragon chapter 1 . 7/30/2004
i can see how you're looking at it, but i disagree. if you were Yugi's protector, and he was in trouble, what would you do? I think Yami has the right idea. it was a good story, though.
Tima Yami's wife chapter 1 . 7/21/2004
I disagree. I happen to thnk that all the bullies got all that they diserved by Yami's Shadow Games! Now, I not just saying this because I'm married to him and love him with all my heart, but I must admit, Yami does step out of the boundries sometimes. But, nevertheless, those bullies got they deserved!
Emmi chapter 1 . 7/16/2004
I totally agree with you. I mean, how can he just punish dudes whenever he pleases? Who died and made him a diety?

Very nicely written, indeed. Keep it up!

~*~Faith Kaiba~*~
Nashida chapter 1 . 7/13/2004
I totally agree with you. The first time I saw Yami play those 'Penalty games' I'll admit I was a little freaked out. Smooth work .
Tramontana Keeper chapter 1 . 7/13/2004
I have to agree, the way everybody treats Yami Yugi as some kind of saint really bothers me too. On one hand, I can see it from his point of view, because he really doesn't know another way to deal with people who get in his way, but that still doesn't justify driving people insane.