Reviews for The Night Visitor
WaitingWishing chapter 1 . 8/17/2008
I must say that this story was absolutely amazing. The moment I read the first sentence, I couldn't stop reading. Beautiful job!
dkgjrknktm chapter 1 . 7/17/2008
I love this story so much. I'm not usually one for the "what if Spike didn't die?" scenario, but...this is breathtaking. I love your use of second-person. It is such a unique way to tell a story, and is flawlessly executed. I applaud you - a second-person narrative is no easy task!

Thank you for one of the absolute best (and most original) Cowboy Bebop fics I have ever read.
Alexithimia chapter 1 . 6/6/2008
interesting little piece I like the 2nd(? I think that's the name) person writing. I don't see it often and when I do it's not usually pulled off so well
aln9876 chapter 1 . 8/6/2006
I know it's been a while, and you might not see this review, but this was incredible. It didn't try too hard to be angsty, but somehow did it. It was so subtle, I had no idea I was being moved until I finished, and felt that heavy, sad feeling inside of my chest. Absolutely incredible, really. This may be one of the greatest Bebop fics I've ever read. I loved the way that Spike and Faye were here, just like they were in the series (they were but weren't, does that even make sense?) they shared the experience of Jet being there, and now he's not, and the profundity doesn't even really imprint itself at first. I felt that the reader came to terms with Jet's missing presence in the same way Faye does, and at the same pace.

Anyways, I've written a novel here (although it's all convoluted and unclear) but I just wanted to say that this was stunning. Stark, precise and subtle, just the way good fic should be. This is some lovely, weighty stuff right here.
twinklestar120 chapter 1 . 2/5/2006
wow. a really bittersweet story. nice characterisation.
SomniumSeeker chapter 1 . 1/2/2006
Beautiful. Poignant. I wuv you.
All Mighty Terrestrial chapter 1 . 11/15/2005
Neat. The symbolism of the bonsai really adds to it.
Negotiatrix chapter 1 . 7/9/2005
Wow. I don't even know what to say. Very subtle and compelling. You really get your reader into Faye's head with this! I was so sad about Jet too!
Pensheep chapter 1 . 7/19/2004
Years ago, I once had a sickeningly self-righteous creative writing teacher state that no true story can ever be written from a second-person viewpoint.

I'm glad someone finally proved him wrong.

Your story was beautiful- And I apologize, for my reviews tend to run rather plain.

I personally loved the metaphor with the bonsai plant and the quote about grey cells gutting themselves. The melancholy tone was prefectly executed, and the intentional vagueness regarding Faye's job and Jet's death were nice touches. I loved the personification and the dates put above each 'entry'.

Every character was in-character all the way. I'm looking forward to all future works, and will now begin reading 'Gatsby'. I've also enjoyed 'Every Action' so far- I just can't seem to find the appropriate words to review that story as well. Look for future reviews for the next chapter or two of each of them.
beatrix chapter 1 . 7/14/2004
Heart-wrenching, very in-character. I loved it, but then again I love all your fanfics.
authenticpoppy chapter 1 . 7/13/2004
That was really quite original. The images you used were very much in line with the show.

Excellent job.
Rashaka chapter 1 . 7/13/2004
It took me a while to get into the rhythm of it, but by the end I loved this little one-shot. I love your portrayal of both Spike and Faye (Spike through Faye's eyes), and the Jet characterization that leaked in from all the surrounding environment. I loved Faye's fixation on the plant, and Spike's fixing the ship. I loved these passages:

' He may even remember you this way long after you’re dead and he’s still failing to kill himself. '

- that last clause really packs a quiet punch... describing Spike as someone who is perpetually failing to kill himself. Very appropriate.

' You know everything about it now: you can see where its eyes are, its fangs, its claws, its horns and all its other bones as well. Its mouth is open and it’s bearing its teeth. You know this isn’t the plant Jet was helping it turn into. '

Poor Faye. I've always maintained that Jet was the nicest person on the Bebop crew, and it's obvious that Faye knows this too and is hurt to think that she's failing him in this. You really captured her admiration and gratefullness for Jet that wasn't spoken, but something hidden inside and deeply felt, so that it manifests itself in her obsessing over his hoby that she has no idea how to connect with.
there's no time chapter 1 . 7/13/2004
Ooh I loved this one! I'd never read one where Jet died and it made me feel so sad. I had to take a break from reading it (a very short break)! But I loved what you did.

-You can see Jet sitting on the couch, hunched over the bush that he’d separated from the heard as an especially difficult case. He held the clippers steady. His head shone in the overhead light. While he cut at the air, he would explain Zen and “fung-shh-way
bebop-aria chapter 1 . 7/13/2004
This is absolutely lovely. Subtle and sardonic, but also deeply honest, in a too-tired-to-pretend kind of way. I very much appreciate how you handle Spike and Faye and the ways they attempt to be the things Jet was to them when they were all together.

Gently melancholic and a great read.
but a dream chapter 1 . 7/13/2004
Im in awe. I absolutley loved it! It was funny (emotionally constipated lol) and serious at the same time. Really well written. Nice job!