Reviews for The Frog Swordsman
Ceres Ryu chapter 11 . 8/14/2018
Buena adaptación ojala terminaras la historia, ía saber que pasars en especial con la adorable rana y exiliada..
papapapuffy chapter 15 . 7/18/2014
Wow just wow. You had me hooked from chapter one. Words can't explain my love for this story. Please update this!
Nom de Plume chapter 15 . 4/30/2014
Oh..my.. GODs.
I sure as hell hope you have not abandoned this story because I can clearly see how much thought and planning you've placed into this. It would be SUCH a waste if you just let this decay into ashes (or worst, deleted it... just typing that word makes me cringe).
Regardless that this is the RK-universe, what you have here is an original story. You could easily replace the names and make it your own but I'm glad you did not because you characterize the Kenshin-gumi so, so well. I have read fairy-tale adaptations of different anime fandoms before and only a few have caught my attention. But what you did differently, even from the great ones I've read, was combine all the fairy-tales, made your OWN spin of them, gave them life, and just-blew me away. I'm usually not a fan of OCs but the personalities you gave Rapunzel and Rose Red were so real that it's almost like they've always been a part of this world.

Yes, there are spelling problems. And yes there are some grammatical mistakes. But this right here is full-proof of what amazing story-telling can achieve and that is, if your writing manages to compensate for the grammatical errors, then obviously you have writing talent. I don't care what anyone else says, I've been on this site way too long, read way too many beautiful ideas&styles, but yours - I have only met two other writers like you - the ones who have some problems with grammatical rules but have such an overflowing well of imagination that nothing can stop their words of conveying it. Your ideas still get through despite all the mini-errors. I applaud you.

I am so, so glad that I did not exit out of this story from the beginning. Truthfully, the first few paragraphs put me off when I read about how Kaoru kicked the golden ball away... I thought it was contradictory to her character when just seconds before that, she claimed that she loved that ball and yet she just hit it! At that point, I thought, my god... is this going to be an idiotic characterization or is this an omen about what the story will pan out as... but I pushed on despite that... I told myself, I'll give this story a chance until the end of the prologue and what do you know... I'm at the end of all 15 chapters.

I absolutely love how you have created your own world and rules. Yes, it is a combination of fairy-tales, Rurouni Kenshin, and a quirky mix of our modern world - and yet somehow, you made it all work. At first I was kind of puzzled that you had futuristic technology in a seemingly medieval era (the golden ball acting like some kind of holographic robot) but you manage to pull it off in two ways, clearly you are adding sarcastic and humorous moments in here but also, you gave the characters their own sense of disbelief. I am glad that you are keeping the setting consistent by portraying it through the characters. In fact, that was one of the things I admired most about your writing - it was your attention to details and your consistency to your own plot devices. For instance, that one moment when Kenshin looked fondly at the group of young princes playing frog races & how he was thinking that despite their royalty, they are still children foremost. That is such a seemingly trivial detail but that point really gave dimension to his character AND to your story. There are so many things going on in here so I am very impressed with how you managed to juggle it all while recalling what you wrote before (but I am afraid that after 9 years... you will have forgotten it all.)

Also, how you adapted the RK-plotline to this fairy-tale world - absolutely GREAT. I love it. Love,love,looove it. I really cannot mention anything else because I might as well just copy and paste your whole story in this post if I were to give you more examples of how flawlessly you adapted the original (but with your own sense of flair). Did I mention that I am in love with how you characterized Kenshin here? He is very true to his canon-self (as well as Kaoru) but since he is a frog in here, I am even more impressed. Gods. But what I did not expect was you giving back-stories & short arcs to each fairy-tale character - you seriously do not waste even one minor character, ne? That is great. Their spotlight is not overwhelming enough to overtake the true protagonists' spotlights in this story but they obviously serve a role in it. Aaah, I'm literally seeing stars with how colorful you made each kingdom and each character - I think your eyes and ears will gush out syrup if I continue...

So without further ado, I really, REALLY do hope you do not lose all muse&hope for this story. It truly is a diamond in the rough. And even if you don't... continue this, I would like to thank you for even sharing part of your creative self with us. It was an amazing adventure while it lasted.
RazedragonOAO chapter 15 . 8/8/2013
Please please please update TT
Viridian chapter 15 . 6/20/2010
XD Michael Jackson, is it?

Anyway, it's been a great many years, but I suppose I can still hope a bit that there may be something more one day. Until then, happy writing!
Viridian chapter 11 . 6/20/2010
Heheh, it seems like you threw fairy tale characters into a blender and turned it on for a few seconds. I like the twist with Rumpelstiltskin's character as well. And, heh, Kenshin getting a kiss and turning into ... a giant frog. That was priceless.
Viridian chapter 8 . 6/20/2010
The interaction between Hiko and Kenshin was sweet and nicely done. It's pretty funny to also see Kaoru bringing together a motley crew from various fairy tales into what is turning out to be an epic adventure (with mini quests along the way).
Viridian chapter 3 . 6/20/2010
Ah, big bad wolf ... fits Saitou to a tee. I was surprised to see other fairy tales thrown into the mix, but that's a pretty neat idea. And I'm glad to see that there's a reason behind the seemingly arbitrary punishments from the King.
Viridian chapter 2 . 6/20/2010
Uh ... what? Kaoru doesn't like acting as a princess, so as punishment ... she doesn't have to be a princess? Well, that's kinda neat (even if she has to leave home). And, isn't that just a wee bit drastic? Exiled for unladylike behaviour?

Anyway, Aoshi as a ninja prince-frog ... that was unexpected and rather funny.
Viridian chapter 1 . 6/20/2010
I do so love fairy tale-based fanfiction, and I think you've gotten off to a good start with this story. The familiar characters from RK fit right in, and it was funny to see Megumi go for the kill right off the bat by kissing Kenshin.
Kagalei chapter 15 . 10/5/2009
I love this story. Are you ever going to add on to it? I hope so; I can't wait to see how Karou is going to get Kenshin out of this one.
LimeGrass chapter 15 . 2/26/2009
I love this story. It's great to see how you've wonderfully weaved some of the fairy tales into the main storyline. The sweet and innocent romance between Kenshin and Kaoru makes it all the more charming.

One of my favourite character is Rumpy-I love how you characterize him; he may be an old pervert but he's hilarious. Honestly, I felt sorry for him in the original tale so I absolutely love your take on it.

I hope you'll continue writing this despite the 5 years hiatus.

- LG
Synergetic Prose chapter 1 . 6/21/2008
Yes! I found this story again! I totally have to agree with you, the princess is so nasty to the frog and yet she gets the guy. Makes no sense at all.
kitsuneluvuh chapter 15 . 7/14/2007
Oh, you can't seriously be meaning to just leave the story at that! This is definitely the most original fanfiction I have ever read! (Which is kind of funny 'cause it's a mix of classic stories. Oh well.) Anyway, you better update again!
katdemon1895 chapter 15 . 10/23/2006
hilarious and adding lorne was an awesome touch, what's wrong with the dark king? besides the whole ominious name thing

i can't wait for your next update! please make it happen soon!