Reviews for Charcoal Black
Parallaxm chapter 1 . 4/28/2014
What's another war fic in the midst of countless other war fics? That is the question I never felt compelled to ask as I read this story, because I was bound to Riza's narration as one might feel bound to fear in a life or death situation. Somehow I didn't bat an eye as I read from start to finish (it wasn't melodramatic, and that's why it hits home) but I felt something tight in my chest, something silent but with a large presence. Sorry if this is starting to sound cryptic and florid- just wanted to say this is a fine tribute to FMA- to soldiers anywhere. Stereotypical Shounen manga tend to deify fighting as some measure of self-worth and manliness. Thank you for sharing this.
silverclaw13 chapter 1 . 8/4/2009
That was lovely. Short, touching and sweet, in a haunted kind of way. Loved the pancake metaphor, too. You can really see the care you took in the writing.
Ruingaraf chapter 1 . 5/19/2009
asdf, so beautiful. 3
momiji-k chapter 1 . 2/18/2006
This is excellent! Wonderful writing and descriptions! :)
Flava Sava chapter 1 . 4/30/2005
That is such a true story. The manga showed so much more then the anime, especially showing that Riza was there... I found it ironic that she aimed at Mustang and Hughes. She looked like she was questioning herself whether or not to pull the trigger or not... What did you think of the manga chapter? besides it being thought provoking to you to write this.

It is really well written, and I am glad you wrote it. It really fits into the manga, and makes you think as to why she has stuck by Mustang for so long.
Sol chapter 1 . 1/11/2005
Luc dropped me a line about his chats with you, but he didn't give me an email address to write you myself. Drop me a line?
Henrika chapter 1 . 1/7/2005
Very introspective view into the war. Excellent character insight on Riza. Keep writing!
Rabbitprint chapter 1 . 12/9/2004
I wanted to finally say that I really enjoy this fic. There are so many things that bring a sense of realism to Riza, Mustang, and the every individual mentioned even in passing-Armstrong and his caving early, and the reasons why-that creates a sense of dusty futility that continues on, day after day. Even when Riza returns after the war, it seems as if she hasn't really left the battlefield.

I especially like the use of pancakes. It's such a strong way of showing the numb horror that Riza's found herself in-that must be so dull in comparison to memories which she then discovered didn't exist in her world anymore-that the image really sticks in my mind.

I couldn't find contact information, or else I would have mailed you. I was wondering if you were interested in being archived with a few other FMA authors. If not, I understand; if so, then drop me a line. Either way, I found this story to be very powerful, and I highly recommend it.
nice chapter 1 . 7/26/2004
this was a really great read. your style of writing is so mature, it gives the entire story a feel of the horrors of war, so accurately depicted. i lOVED it.
DarkAngstScary chapter 1 . 7/26/2004
Shimizu Hitomi chapter 1 . 7/26/2004
was meaning to review earlier, but forgot...

love riza, love roy. together or apart. now i can't wait to read chp. 34... it's nice, seeing riza in this situation, when it's usually roy and occasioanlly hughes that people write in the war.
Wot Wot Wark chapter 1 . 7/19/2004
Great going! your descriptions were excellent. i was just thinking of that pic of her in ch34, she looks like one of those female Russian snipers who killed many officers and soldiers in ww2. The description of her connection and protecting of Mustang is great too. :) this is really cool! :D
Artemis Obscure chapter 1 . 7/19/2004
one thing that i can honestly say is that the description in your story was thing that shone through. you can see how closely hawkeye's life is intertwined with the colonel.

this is a good work