Reviews for Kill Bill: Prequel Volume 1
Lynn chapter 32 . 1/13/2006
When you say indepth you really mean indepth! I loved it. This is very canon like, it really could have happened like this. The movies are gonna be so fun to watch now! Or after I read volume 2 anyway. Know that you two work really great together.
Sassy Lil Scorpio chapter 32 . 9/10/2005
What can I say? It took me nearly 6 months to read this...I read it in installments...and what a fantastic read! I love all the KB movie references, even the Cherry Pie chapter title in respect to "But can she back a cherry pie"? from the original script. Wow, Bill is cold...we know what he did to O-Ren's parents, but O-Ren doesn't know. O-Ren is like a ghost in this fic, I hope we see more of her in the Pre2. Great job and I look forward to finally getting to Pre2! Awesome!
Sassy Lil Scorpio chapter 31 . 9/10/2005
Awesome spar between Beatrix and Bill-there's a lot of tension there as they tried to outdo each other and they're definitel amazed by each other's abilities. I also like how Elle and Beatrix come to accept that they hate each other-without saying it aloud. Well...I have one more chapter to go-but I must say I've enjoyed this very smuch so far! Great work!
Sassy Lil Scorpio chapter 30 . 9/10/2005
Uh-oh...Vernita overheard Bea's and Bill's conversation. This is the begnning of the end for them it seems. Especially since she voiced her opinions about it in front of eveyone. Bea gave her a bit of a cold remark about it...but now where does that leave her and Vernita. Loved the "wiggled her big toe" part just like in the movie. As for Hell Week, Beatrix is without a doubt the best of the Vipers. Almost done with Pre1!
Sassy Lil Scorpio chapter 29 . 9/10/2005
See, from the moment Vincent sat down with Beatrix, I had a feeling he was a slimey-slime-slime! But then it turned out he wasn't even the real Vince,...so that was a nice trick. I don't blame Bill for being upset and feeling duped. The whole thing was a set up and Elle nearly got killed. I like that Elle told Bill she loved him...it was touching in an odd way, even if she is a "hateful bitch." Bill and Beatrix need to take 200 steps back away from each other!
jellyfish959 chapter 32 . 8/23/2005
this story is bloody brilliant! nice 1 :P
Sassy Lil Scorpio chapter 28 . 8/14/2005
Yes, I'm so glad that Sofie Fatale made an appearance! Beatrix is as jealous as Bill is. I liked the Sofie scene and how she tells Beatrix she's a bitch and then Bea threatens her..and she keeps to that promise later on in Vol 1. I hope we get to see more SF aka the Star Trek Villain!
Sassy Lil Scorpio chapter 27 . 8/14/2005
Hmm now okay, I liked Vernita/Beatrix interaction. It's a shame that Vern turns against her in Vol 2 (you know I'm a 'cheater'). I keep expecting more friendship scenes from O-Ren and Bea since it was hinted to most fans (me included) in Vol 1. But I like what you both have done with Vernita's and Beatrix's relationship since there is little said about Vernita in the movie except she was living the life that Beatrix wanted.

I enjoyed the scene with Bill showing Bea his room...shows he's not just a murdering bastard, but that he's human (as the title suggests.) Great touch adding the picture of Bill when he was with the Yakuza and Boss Mastumoto. The scene also reminds me of when Hattori Hanzo shows Beatrix his swords. It's times like these that make me feel bad for Bill...like what went wrong in his life or what made him want to be a killer? He can have a heart at times even if he hates to show it.

Loved adding "Game of Death"...and Bill's comments that allude to KB Vol 1. That's where the yellow track suit came from and it was great to pay homage to it. Nice job!
Sassy Lil Scorpio chapter 26 . 8/13/2005
-And if something did go wrong in our relationship. I wouldn’t kill him for it- If only that were the case, but they’re both killers with distorted views of the way the world works. And again, she’s lying to herself and not just about Bill, but about her life in general and all the decisions she’s made to get to where she is at this point in her life. Beatrix, even when she’s with Bill, is an unhappy and lonely woman (and later on Sarah tells her the same thing). She knows she’s the deadliest woman in the world, but it’s obviously not enough and she still wants that normal life. O-Ren was cold to her and to me O-Ren has her own set of issues to deal with so how can she be so mean to Beatrix about her running away from her problems? I liked Milo…something about him was just very serene and genuine. It’s like he’s lived his life and can evaluate what he’s proud of, his regrets, but at the same time, still be satisfied with how everything turned out. I don’t get the same vibe from Beatrix or even Bill...though Bill is more content and settled than Bea is.

The target/assignment was a great touch and I liked how it ate away at Beatrix from the moment she realized she was assigned to kill a mother. That’s a good way to foreshadow how she’ll feel later when she confronts Karen Kim, Lisa Wong’s assassin when she finds out she’s pregnant. Bea’s a killer, but she does have her boundaries. –I may be coldhearted, but I can thaw—great line! (She melts evidently.) I also liked how you interweaved the Hattori Hanzo quote about vanquishing the enemy. I was also very touched by Sarah and what she says to Beatrix about creating life rather than taking it away. Out of all the assignments she’s had so far, this is the one that really hits me and I’m sure it hits Beatrix as well, because she knows deep down that even if she IS a good killer and great at what she does-she wants no part in it or at least she wants to get away from it.

As I was reading this, I thought of Vernita/Beatrix in the opening of Vol. 1 and how Beatrix looked sad about killing Vern in front of Nikkia, but that she also felt she did what she had to do. Then…you wonder about the other Vipers and if they would’ve completed the kill. Vern may have had the same reservations that Bea did since they both desire to live normal lives, but she may have finished the job anyway so she wouldn’t have to deal with Bill’s wrath. Elle, no question would’ve done it, because she kills because she can. Elle is a ‘natural born killer’. O-Ren would’ve done it for the fact that she saw her parents murdered in front of her so she wouldn’t have had pity on Alice probably because no one had pity on her when the Yakuza murdered her parents. Budd may have done it to prove to Bill that he’s as good as his brother. But Bea…she’s in a box of her own and I like how her jumbled emotions are out there-they’re not buried or non-existent.

Bill’s response is also what propelled her to leave him when she finds out she’s pregnant in the hotel room. He sees Beatrix as someone he loves, but before that he sees her as a killer, ‘his killer,’ and so with that said, I can see what Beatrix felt she had to run away from him as they show in Vol 2. She has a history of running away (as O-Ren threw back in her face) but she also is able to discern when to turn her killer instincts on and off and when it comes to children…that’s one boundary Beatrix has that Bill doesn’t appear to have. And if Bill does have it, he’s a killer first and foremost which is why their twisted relationship no matter how badly they both want it work, fails in the end.

Lastly…the nature of killers…it’s extremely scary. This was touched upon toward the end…of the shutting off of emotions to complete a kill. I was wondering if you or Mel had did any research on serial killers and how they come to be since KB is basically about…serial killers/trained assassins. Towards the end, I really hated Bill for how he treated Beatrix. I mean, he didn’t have the easiest life growing up and watching Estaban beat women prolly messed up in more ways than one-but still, Bill showed he can be cold and callous even to those he claims to really ‘love’. At the same time, when the last paragraphs made me feel a little sorry for Bill…because he’s not all there and he doesn’t want to lose control so he has to pretend that HE is in control.

Okay, that’s the end of my review. It was a long one, but your fic really gives a lot to write and think about it. I read your fanfic for pleasure because I love the characters in the KB fandom, and I also appreciate the depth you’ve given them, especially Bill and Beatrix. Fabulous job!
Sassy Lil Scorpio chapter 25 . 8/12/2005
Arrgh! I'm going to kill this site! I love this site but you know as they say in KB, Kill is Love. Anyway, I wrote more in my last review but it got clipped down. With the last line, I was saying, yeah right, Bill knows he can't deal with Beatrix not loving him. Who’s he fooling? And Beatrix doesn't love him yet enough? That changes too because she gets pregnant with his baby! Uh-huh, no sirree, can’t fool me!

Okay Review of Chapter 25.

Paulie’s mannerisms had me cracking up. He’s totally different from other “customers” that Bill had previously. I also liked that Budd was teamed with Beatrix. It’s obvious that the other Vipers...well, mostly Elle, can’t stand Bea and O-Ren is kinda fuzzy towards her, leaving Vernita and Budd the most “cordial” of the bunch.

Katie was off the rocker, but like Paulie, she made me laugh. Interesting bringing up the kneecap-is-painful. Paulie and Katie are more dysfunctional and warped than Beatrix and Bill and that’s saying a lot.

I got the hint that Budd likes Bea in this. I liked how they worked together…it was sick and twisted how they killed George and also sad. But Budd…he has a more gentle side to him even if he is a killer. George and Paul reminded me of Bill and Budd…but like a more twisted version of them. Anyway, great chapter and thanks for putting more Budd in!
Sassy Lil Scorpio chapter 24 . 8/9/2005
"Love born of betrayal is better lost than lived"...why do I have a feeling that quote refers to Beatrix and Tommy? Because the way I see it...or the way Bill sees it...Beatrix wants to marry Tommy after getting pregnant from him (this is from Bill's POV) and Bill feels betrayed...and we know what happens from there. Beatrix loses Tommy and her idea of normal life in KB...so the love was never lived. LOL, I'm looking too deep into this, but it's fun! I love the part with the flute...it makes sense considering he plays the flute to lure her out of Two Pines (or so it appears). Then the intense near sex scene that Beatrix broke off..."He could deal with her not loving him."
Sassy Lil Scorpio chapter 23 . 7/10/2005
I see one of my fave lines from Vol 2. was used..."look at those eyes...this bitch is furious." Hmm, what to name the chapter? The Corruptor? It was good, Bea keeps making enemies the more she works for Bill. It seems Bea was furious (and rightfully so) with the way Bill deserted her in the airport. Sure, he believes in her skills...but still..the idea of it. Good work~
Sassy Lil Scorpio chapter 22 . 7/10/2005
Kill is Love...great job putting that in the last chapter. I love the part where Bill is unsettled about his name and the word "kill" in the same sentence-it's a clever way to allude to the fandom "Kill Bill." Karn Trask...what a whacko. I'd like to know more of O-Ren's view as to why she didn't warn Beatrix. I like the ending with Bea and Vernita going out and wondering about having a normal life. That makes sense considering we see Vern and her house and daughter Nikkia in Vol. 1. Nice work!
Sassy Lil Scorpio chapter 21 . 7/10/2005
Yeah, I was going to say: Bill has some nerve considering he gets all antsy and pissed when another man so much as looks at Beatrix. I loved Elle and Bill's exchange, it was funny. So now Bea and Bill are together...m, hmm, a match made in heaven, I tell ya!