Reviews for The Haladin
LasseLanta01 chapter 13 . 1/5/2005
This sites new upgrades are starting to be a real pain in the arse. My last review was for chapter twelve not chapter one; as my precious review got chopped off after the first sentence (sighs).

Haleth is full of such surprises for our Elf-Lord, good surprises making him consider things he never has before and probably never would have. Nice present he gives her, with a terrific compliment (“The blade is only worthy of the one who wields it and easily befits a woman of your courage and brave heart, Lady Haleth. May you recall me with fond memory whenever you use it and may the fierce fire of Fëanáro bring death upon those who wish to thwart you.”)

Poor Linval, a salve for embarrassment, that’s really rich, unfortunately he tried using it on the wrong woman. What a nice bit of amusement at just the right time. I can see the attraction between these two, Haleth and Caranthir, and the deep regret on the elf’s side. The touching on why elf-man relationships have such a doomed quality was nicely done. So many writers miss that point completely; you did your research well and interpreted very correctly.

The funeral rites set just the right tone to finish this sad business and open a new chapter in the people’s lives.
Lasse-Lanta chapter 1 . 1/5/2005
Well I see that has somehow swallowed most of my review of this chapter, so I will try again.

What a wonderful description of Caranthir, not just his appearance, but also his temper and temperament. Beautiful, but oh so impatient and angry, rather his fathers son I believe. And good for Haleth not to be overly taken in by a pretty face, but in true leaders strength to see what’s beneath, thereby turning the tables on the Elf-Lord, making him experience a foreign desire to know the mind of this Atani female. *g*

It’s a very interesting take you have on Caranthir’s relationship with the children of his half-uncle, very believable as well considering the future kin-slayings.

What an absolute horror for these two women to find their loved ones decimated in such a fashion that the only things recognizable are their weapons. Since you are mirroring Norse culture, it seems fitting that Jorhild should worry after the souls of her husband and father-in-law since there are no recognizable bodies to be set to the pyre.

In these last paragraphs of the story you have handled Caranthir well, in fact I would say more than well. His thoughts and interactions with Haleth are exquisite.
Doctor Who chapter 15 . 12/20/2004
Bravo! Bravo! I want more!

I hope you decide to write a tale of the rest of her journey into Brethil.

Your notes are wonderful and the way you have woven norses myth into Tolkien is astounding to me! Everything fits and balances so perfectly.

Reading your description of the Seeress gave me chills...I'd be crying like a baby in her prescense...you present her so well, as if the power she radiates leaps off the page at a person.

Well done. Please write more!
Doctor Who chapter 14 . 12/20/2004
Well! Some of those sections made my hair stand on end and my mind reel with being bewildered and fascinated.

I did not see the part where she mixed the fluids from their lovemaking with the ash of his remains coming! Wow! I'd never have thought of such a thing, but the way you write it, it fits and makes perfect sense.

It is also an interesting set-up for implying why Haleth may not have married or been able to concieve children, even had she wanted to...but perhaps you will clarify in the next chapter...
Doctor Who chapter 13 . 12/20/2004
I was not sure how you would be able to top the last chapter, or how it could get any better - or angsty - but you have put my wonderment to rest and I am impressed with how you have continued the interaction between the characters. Haleth and Caranthir, of course, the most!

Your notes, as always, are well done and useful.
Doctor Who chapter 12 . 12/20/2004
The mighty elf-lord indeed! Whew! That left me with an intense, powerful feeling of lust for the elf-lord and envious (bordering on jealousy) in regard to my good Haleth!

You have done rather well portraying this other worldly character and should consider it successfully done, imho. :-) So there. :-P
Nerthus chapter 15 . 12/11/2004
I agree with what one other of your reviewers stated. I too, would enjoy seeing you write more on Haleth and her adventures.

That seeress character was great! Nicely done!

I am happy to have happened upon this story and look forward to seeing more from you and if you do Thingol and the others as well as you portrayed Caranthir, I don't think you have anything to worry yourself about in the future!

Cheers!
Viking Queen chapter 15 . 12/10/2004
That detail and imagery of the seeress was a marvelous treat!

Somehow, you have managed to make their strange customs seem perfectly natural, normal...

I have enjoyed your story and know that it will stay burned into my thoughts for many years to come.

Nicely done!
Rob Rastorp chapter 15 . 12/10/2004
A fitting conclusion to this intruiguing story. Again we see the attention to details regarding the rituals and beliefs of these people that characterizes your work. It would be interesting to see you continue your characterization of Haleth through writing about her subsequent career, with regard to Finrod, Elu Thingol, the settlement in Brethil, and so on.

As far as the beleifs of the Haladin are concerned, I would agree it isn't a violation of the Silmarillion canon to suggest that the Haladin would believe they live more than one life on Earth (which was how I interpreted the remarks of the seeress). It would, as you noted, contradict what Tolkein said about the fate of men to suggest that this actually happened in Middle Earth itself. One way to reconcile these ideas might be to suggest that humans, in Tolkien's world, may well live again (not simply in spirit form), but only in realms beyond the circles of Arda that are unknown to the Eldar, and even to the Valar - whereas the Eldar themselves, of course, are bound to Arda until the end of time.

Anyway, I've certainly enjoyed reading your account of Haleth's early career. Well done!
Rob Rastorp chapter 14 . 12/10/2004
Again we see reflected in this story the curious belief of the northern peoples that the spirits of the dead could take on material form, at least for a time, and act as they would in life. This idea seems to play an important role in the beliefs of the Haladin.

We also see that Haleth, once again, places her personal desires above her obligations as an initiate or priestess and above the will of the gods. You've done a good job, in terms of this scene (and the scene in the earlier chapter involving her proscribed vision) of setting the reader up to understand why Haleth ultimately follows the path of temporal rather than spiritual leader of her people.
Rob Rastorp chapter 13 . 12/7/2004
One often thinks of Elves as somehow alien and unfathomable from a human standpoint, so it was interesting in this chapter to see humans appear just as unfathomable in their own way from an Elvish standpoint. It would be interesting to explore this idea further, although of course you are quite write that the Elves play no further role beyond this chapter in the plot of the story you are currently developing.

I was also very impressed as always by your detailed knowledge of Norse traditions and customs, and how you have integrated this into your depiction of the Haladin and the great transformation through which their society is undergoing (as implied in the story text and explained in your author note). Again well done.
Rob Rastorp chapter 12 . 12/6/2004
Your depiction of Caranthir and his interaction with Haleth is quite striking and memorable! Caranthir has always struck me as a complex character with dark undertones, and it seems difficult to reconcile this aspect of his being with the ethereal, graceful nature one associates with the Elves, and High Elves in particular. But your use of dialogue, and the introspective passages concerning Caranthir, conjure up his complex, subtle character quite well.

Haleth, as we know, rejects Caranthir's offer of refuge, though she has only offered him a brief description of her reasons. Perhaps her rejection of the offer is more instinctive than rational, and rooted not least in her deep insight into his character? In any case, I imagine we will see how Haleth presents her case to the people in the next chapter.
Rob Rastorp chapter 11 . 12/5/2004
I was uplifted from despair into relief during this chapter, as the Haladin, facing a terrible fate at the hands of thousands of foul Orcs, were rescued at the last minute by Caranthir and his Elves. You did a great job of describing the despair of the surviving Haladin, and the fierce desperation and cunning of their struggle by the Elves, before Caranthir arrived at the last minute and saved the day.

I might note that, personally, I didn't find your violent passage (the one with the disclaimer)to be "too" violent - you protrayed compellingly and realistically the brutal, desperate nature of hand to hand combat in a struggle for life and death. It was well done.

Since Haleth has developed into such a strong character, it will be very interesting to watch her deal in the next chapter with Caranthir - who, as we know from the Silmarillion, is as one of the Feanori a complex character who often acts from mixed motives (at least in my view). I look forward to seeing how you depict him and his interactions with the mortal Haleth in the next chapter.
Rob Rastorp chapter 10 . 12/1/2004
This chapter has a very dark tone, which suits the tragic events it chronicles very well. It was fitting to see the doomed warriors of the Haladin die with bravery, and I was pleased to see that even Tunni, who in many ways was a very unsympathetic character, redeemed himself in the end (at least it seemed so to me) through his sacrifice.

The Orcs are suitably foul and slimy, with their cannibalistic habits described in chilling detail. The graphic description of their behaviour plays an important role in increasing the tension within this chapter, as the increasingly dire straits of the Haldin become ever more clear.

Haleth finally has the full leadership of her people decisively thrust upon her, and as one would expect from the earlier building of her character, she has enough inner strength to control her sorrow and take command of the remnants of her people. I'm full of suspense, waiting to see how she will manage to confront the Orcs in battle...a very stirring and well-written chapter.
Rob Rastorp chapter 9 . 11/24/2004
There are great action scenes in this chapter! I like the way you have conveyed the foul, hideous nature of the Orcs, and the ominousness of the threat posed by them. You also did a great job of portraying the desperation and mixed courage and fear of the Haladin in the face of a dire threat. Intruiguing as well was the revelation that Tunni has at least an element of sentimentality underneath his tough exterior. I'll start reading the next installment right away.